1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

General Route Query Thread

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by obliex, Jun 21, 2010.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Few options that I know of:
    1. Savanadurga : light trek up a monolith hill, takes around 3 hrs one side. We had done it once during night time with the help of a local kid but we did not go all the way up the hill. It was one nice experience. Also it was amawasya night so it was pitch dark. This is off mysore road around 60 kms from Bangalore
    2. Skandagiri : This is near Nandi hills. The trek is again up a hill and this place is quite popular for night treks. We went there on the night of 18th March last year which was a super moon night and we were surprised to see around 200-300 people on top of the hill. It also takes around 3 hrs to reach the top.
    3. Sakleshpur : Have not been there but have heard that this place is very popular amongst trekking enthusiasts. It used to be a trek along a closed narrow guage railway line. not sure about its current condition. you would need to google current details about it..
    This is near Hassan on NH48 around 220 kms from Bangalore
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. As of Dec 2011,Skandagiri trekking has been completely banned by Chickballapur police, during night as well as day. All the local guides have been warned as well. Police are very serious about the ban after a recent case of death of a person while trekking. It is a pity that such a beautiful paradise has been banned but any attempt of trekking would end you up in the Chickballapur police station along with your vehicle.

Police guards the base of the hill and they have setup some locals as well to catch anyone who attempts a trek.
    The reasons cited by the police for the ban are:

Some streches of the hill are very slippery and could be fatal.
    Danger from wild animals.
    Some scenarios wherein the locals show you the wrong way, as they are not paid for their services, which could lead you to danger.
    Lack of any medical help near by.

If Skandagiri was in your list of trekking destinations, please omit it.
    The beautiful skandagiri sunrises, over the sea of clouds, could only be seen in the internet images from now on.
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
  4. Friends ,
    I will be travelling to alleppey this friday with family.Planning to start early by 3 am .

A change in route at last minute after reading the current road conditions .

Planning to do the below route :

Chennai --> Trichy --> Madurai --> Shenkotai --> Kottarakara --> Changanassery --> Alleppey

though it is ~70 kms more than the shortest distance which is via theni , heard that the above route is having good roads.

Hope to reach madurai for breakfast .Any decent hotels near madurai on Trichy -- madurai NH 45B

Any recent travellers on this route ?

Any suggestion on this route / breakout points will be very helpful

Ajit
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hotel Temple City on NH45 is good. It is located after the Madurai Toll and will be on your side of the road when you go from Chennai. Opposite to Temple city, you can find A2B as well. But, I prefer Temple City over A2B.
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Here you go with the Map. I have marked both A2B and Temple City with Red dots. When you come from Trichy, Hotel Temple City will be on the left side just after the Madurai Toll Plaza.

Mad - Map.jpg

Here's the A2B (with BPCL) and Temple City campus.

Mad - Hotel.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  7. Thanks Ramesh for the info ..

Got it .. Not sure why it was not getting displayed in the other view in google maps .

Ajit
  8. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Good. Have a safe trip. One point you will be killed by tolls in this route. I am aswell going upto Tirunelveli in the same route - starting this saturday. First Mottai (shaving the head) for my second daughter in my ancesterol temple.
  9. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Ajit, if you have done the trip, can you please update us with the route you took and its condition?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  10. Ramesh .
    As you have suggested I took the Madurai - Shenkotai route . and Break @ Temple Bay . Very decent place .
    Roads are excellent till we cross TN . In Kerala roads can be termed as good to average . But not a single underbelly scrapping .

On return journey I took Kottayam - Kumily - Theni - Dindigul- Trichy -Chennai route .

Though the road expansion work is goin on @ Theni , I will consider this route if we are driving at day time . Great roads throughout .. and can save almost 80-90 kms .Only problem was crossing few small towns and trichy .
    Also due to road widening , on few occasions we have to deviate from main road and slow down .But deviation is nothing more than 20 -30 mts . and easily drivable .

Will post more details by afternoon ..

Ajit