1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

General Route Query Thread

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by obliex, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    Hi All - Iam planning to go to my native Rajahmundry which is in AP from bangalore. Total distance was 900+ kms from bangalore. I have gone twice to my native in my astar vechicle without any issues, and that was 2 years back. It took around 14-16 hrs from banglore to rajahmundry. But now people in my office are scaring me not to drive on the Nellore-Vijayawada stretch, as traffic becomes more now a days. I know i can drive this car (punto e+) but because of this people iam stepping backwards and initially i have face some issues with my vehicle, might be this could be also the one of the reason iam not that much confident on this drive. Please suggest me what are all the things that i need to check before (if iam going by car).
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I drove from Bangalore to Visakhapatnam in about 18 hours during my NE/Bhutan trip. Bangalore to Rajahmundry took about 14 hours. We breakfasted at BP, Rajahmundry bypass, where my Linea too had bellyful of petrol.

The Chennai-Vijayawada section of NH 5 is getting widened to 6 lanes. So, please drive carefully. There is nothing to worry about if your Punto is in good condition. Self-confidence is the first and foremost requirement while driving for such a long distance.:)
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    3 people like this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If there are two cars in India built for touring than city driving - it is Linea and Punto. Both are budget Grand Tourers.

At most keep the following with you :

1. Air pump. Also ensure your spare tire is okay.
    2. Coolant+water mix. If coolant is not available , just keep clean water. In the highly unlikely case that you may need to top the coolant up somewhere, just put in water and drive on. Put in the proper coolant when you find a TASS. No worries.

The 2nd item i outlined is just to make you feel good. :p Otherwise it's not needed at all.

As always, before proceeding on a trip check all fluid levels. If they are okay, they will remain okay. 900 km's one way isn't much.

Just enjoy the drive and drive safely.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Prakash,

Nellore to vijaywada roads are good, why scaring ?
    And punto is one of the best hatch suitable for long drives,i have done my long drive(To and fro) from Miraj-Hyd-Guntur-Chilakaluripet number of times,also a non -stop(with few haults of maximum of 30 mins though) of 21 Hours journey from Mumbai(in traffic) to Hyderabad.

I'm planning for the next "Miraj - Hyd - Vijaywada - Kakinada" lets see if things goes well ;)

if you are not confident about roads condition then travel during day time only.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks Ravi sir, gurjinder ji and Ganges sir. I will definitely follow your instructions. Before starting i will once again read ravi sirs travelogue to boost up my confidence.
    1 person likes this.
  6. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    before I go to a long trip I normally Visit TASS and have a quick check done by the SA there. They have always done it free of cost and also topped up the fluids.
    I have done in Concorde, KHT in Bangalore. Also I clean/change the AC filters if required as in long drive in highway it gets clogged little faster and effects the cooling which is very important to have a confortable drive :)
  7. Dear TFIans,

This is my first post in TFI except for the introduction thread.I had joined the forum some weeks back when I had booked a 2012 Grande Punto 1.3 MJD from Kulathunkal Motors, Trivandrum.
    I took deliveryof the car on 18[SUP]th[/SUP] July at 6.45 pm and was the proud owner of the car for exactly ten minutes. At 7.30 pm, my car was taken back to the dealer's workshop after a drunk motorcyclist slammed into my RHS rear door.

I wrote this post with a very heavy heart and with sincere hopes that no other car owner has to face a tragedy like this. I had hardly driven 100 meters when the crash took place. This incident has sealed my belief in fate. I could'nt have been more careful while driving but still had to face the wrath of fate. My car is currently lying at the dealer's workshop for the insurance formalities. She still looks exquisite but her beauty is now marred with an ugly scar on her door. Her RHS rear door and frame needs to be replaced. Dealer has promised me to fix it up as soon as possible.

I am currently not in a mentality to write any further. Just needed a few tips

1. I am having comprehensive cover from Future Generali. Now that I have claimed the insurance, will there be any implication if I make further claims(God forbid) this year? No glass has been broken in the accident. Any yes, I will lose my NCB.
    2. Dealer has assured me that the new door will look exactly like the original . Is this a fact? Anybody owning a BNW could please confirm.
    Would be really thankful for any help from your side.

PS: The biker is absolutely fine except for a slight cut on his forehead. His bike is totalled. His family has agreed to pay me the balance amount after the insurance claim. But then, there are many things that money can't buy.

Regards,
    Sanjeev
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dont worry about claim,change it to another insurance company next year :D i believe first year will be free insurance from the dealer ?

Yes 100 %,actually the door,bonnet any metal part comes in finished form from the factory and the painting is done in the paint shop at the service centre with the defined color codes from FIAT.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Very unfortunate indeed!!
    Absolutely yes, you can use n-number of times.
    Insurance is for these difficult time only, don't worry about NCB.
    Yes it must look like original, if service center guys do the painting properly.
    Do spend some time in initial few weeks to see from different angle, at different times, like in morning, in evening etc. Any mis-match should be visible.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    There will be increase in your next premium but since it is on the first year there is no problem You are not going to loose much.
    Don't worry about the accident. You will forget about this issue once you see the vehicle in it's fresh look again. There are much more severe accidents happened to our members and they are using the cars without any problem. Simply a matter of few days to wait. :)