1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Gear transmission- Any special way of changing gears?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Deepak R, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Deepak R

Deepak R Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I own a Fiat GP 1.3MJD Emotion MG. Most of them recommend me to move a bit to left while changing from 1st to 2nd gear. What is the correct procedure for this? Can i move the gear knob straight down to 2nd gear or move towards the left????

Plz help me out :)
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Moving straight down has problem with my Linea MJD 2009 run 56000 km.U can do the same
  3. Hello Deepak,
    I suggest you to choose the best way tht you can accustom with the gear box, as time progress the gears will loosen up a bit and can engage according to your desire. Straight from 1st to 2nd will be bit difficult but the gear will go to its position. I will be moving it a bit to left to feel the smooth engagement.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Do as you feel comfortable is what i would say.

That said, i never move the stick left/right while changing gears. I just move the shifter straight to the desired slot.

The moving left/right is a hangover from the old days, when there were no syncromesh gearboxes. And gearchanges usually resulted in krrrrrrrr krrrrrr noises. :D

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I simply push it back from first gear and the natural "spring action" brings it back to neutral position. Then I slot it to second gear. I have never noticed the pattern actually but now that I was thinking how I change gears, I think this is how I do it. (P.S>- I have seen that bus drivers also change gears of those TATA buses like this). :p