1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

gear shift problem

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sunilmh, Feb 27, 2015.

1. vishnuramachandran

vishnuramachandran Novizio

Calicut
    Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @RaviHegde I really appreciate your effort :).Since i also felt my clutch is also getting hard,i would also want to give a try.From the snap that you have posted,i couldnt really comprehend where the cylinder and lever is located in the engine bay.Could you a post a wider snap to have a better clarity of the location of these components?
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Sorry, could not take a picture today. In petrol Punto you can see it looking down between the battery and engine. I don't know where is it in MJD versions and Lineas. You can identify the clutch slave cylinder by following the hydraulic line from the clutch master cylinder to the engine area. Clutch master cylinder is on the engine side of the firewall behind the clutch pedal. When you press clutch pedal it pushes the brake fluid into the hydraulic line that goes to the clutch slave cylinder which in turn presses the clutch lever on the gear box. You can also identify slave cylinder by looking into the engine bay when another person is pressing and releasing the clutch. You can see the plunger from the slave cylinder pressing the lever. Hope this explanation helps to identify the slave cylinder and the lever.
    vishnuramachandran likes this.
  3. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Ravi, appreciate your inputs :), wish I would have had time to experiment on this.

I've replaced clutch kit and gear shaft parts just a week before.
    I had plans to travel to my native and just a day before I was really in trouble:banghead: as had to press my clutch 3-4 times to shift gears.

all this was done along with my 45K service at Mysore Road Vecto Motors. Having said this I'm not with the service.
    Clutch is butter smooth now, but still on 3rd gear I can clearly observe the vibration while raising a speed between 30-40, and can hear a noice of 'thuggggg' when I release a clutch (between 1 to 3 gear shifts), spoke to SA and have to go their again !

Guys, could you please confirm on below cost,
    1. Clutch kit 4728/-
    2. Flex/Shaft (2) 3780/-
    3. Labour Work (Clutch Kit & Gear Cable) 3651/-

Thanks,
    Sunil
  4. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    Cost looks OK. I enquired in Vecto hosur road and they told me the cost would be 13k - 9k for parts and 4k for labor to replace the clutch kit and cable. I will try Ravi's DIY or a local garage first to address my hard shift.

When I asked the SA to lubricate the cables he told me that Fiat has told them to replace everything instead of trying repair work LOL.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hard shift can be because of 2 reasons - (a) clutch problem - needs clutch service (b) gear shifting cables needing lubrication/replacement. Lubricating the CSC (clutch slave cylinder) tip and the clutch lever may not solve hard gear shifting problem. It works only if your clutch has become hard and pressing the clutch makes squeaking noise.
    sdp1975 likes this.
  6. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks for clarifying.

I face the hard gearshift when the clutch is fully depressed and I change gears. Most likely , it's a problem with the linkages ( gear cables ) and nothing to do with the clutch - correct me if I'm wrong. I will take it to a FNG for inspecting the gear cables.

I really hate it when TASS asks me to change everything without even trying to find out where the problem could be.
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Possible. There is no harm in inspecting the mechanical parts around the gear lever and the linkages between gear lever and the gear box. Why do clutch service if all it takes is simple lubrication or gear cable replacement?

I am with you. That is the reason why I had to find a solution to my problem on my own. My car is 5 years old now - still feeling very much like when it was new. Extended warranty expired some time last year. After that I started my experiments to find out and learn more about the car. I intend to keep it for another 5 years at least. I feel FASS will make me Punto expert by that time.
    asimpleson likes this.
  8. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Friends,
    Lately I am facing stiff gear shifts only in 1st gear & 3rd gear. All other gears are good during shifting at varying speeds.
    Clutch pedal has the normal pre-play and responding as usual. Gears smoothly change when stationery.
    Also, during the NICE road drive, I felt that down shifting the gears from 4th to 3rd become tight at few instances.
    So, I particularly facing issues in slotting 1st gear in traffic and moving to 3rd gear at speeds.
    No grinding noise till now. Car has run 51000kms. The Gear linkage ball was lubed during service along with top-up of transmission oil.

Please advice.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    As you say gears engage smoothly when stationery it is a problem with pressure plate however once do try bleeding the clutch fluid lines before replacing clutch assembly
  10. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    why do pressure plates create problem while engaging 1st or 3rd gears. It should happen on all gears. Correct. Just curious.
    OR Should I get checked on gear linkage or Pivot Shaft or Gear cables as well.