1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

gear shift problem

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sunilmh, Feb 27, 2015.

1. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello,

recently I started observing gear shift problem, specially with 2nd and 3rd gear shift.
    Some times I find it hard to shift up/down to 3rd gear. Have to release and press the clutch to work it again. 2nd and 3rd gears shifts are very rubbery feeling, no smooth shifting :(

Mine is 2012 Punto-MJD, driven 43,000Kms.

When I checked with FASS, they suggested to replace Clutch plate along with gear cables.
    should I go with FASS guy suggestion to replace clutch plate & gear cables?

Thanks,
    Sunil
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @sunilmh

Do you hear any jarring sound when shifting gears? If not then mostly the gears need some lubrication. On what basis did the FASS say the clutch plate needs replacement? Did you see if the part is damaged?
  3. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    no sound as such, it just doesn't move freely.

FASS guy did a test drive and said clutch is hard, need a replacement, no damage parts.
    I have not noticed about clutch hardening.
  4. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @sunilmh,

if you feel the clutch needs replacement then replace it by tomorrow 28/02/2015, since they are offering 15% discount on parts as a part of summer camp.

Thanks
    sunilmh likes this.
  5. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    yeah bibin,

I've already booked a slot for tomorrows checkup camp :)
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    If the replacement is under warranty then no issues. Else I would be double careful about the replacement unless thoroughly inspected. Did the FASS guy give any specific reason for the part failure?
  7. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    no, its not under warranty.

just he said clutch has become hard and you need to replace it.
    I was under the impression my gear shift problem might have connection with the clutch replacement.
  8. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @sunilmh

is your clutch pedal hard?? Does it take lot of effort than usual to engage?? Also might be the problem of gear shift cable. Happened with one of our members. He and his dad shifted gears together :-D it was that hard! Don't blindly believe the FASS guys. They are always out to make deep holes in your pocket!
    sunilmh likes this.
  9. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    pedal is not hard, but yeah there is problem with gear shift 2nd and 3rd.
    I'll just try with cable change.
  10. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @sunilmh See http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/clutch-pedal-sound.13747/ Clutch had become hard as well as making some noise when I pressed the clutch pedal. As usual FASS told me to service the clutch. They will not try to lubricate anything. I did some research and found the solution myself. Details are in the thread. Please read #14 under that thread before you do anything. Don't lubricate the master and slave cylinder parts with mineral grease/oil. Lubricate only the tip of the slave cylinder where it meets the clutch lever. Also lubricate the hinge of the lever. Both of them are metal parts, it is safe to lubricate with mineral oil/grease. It will become butter smooth after that and it has stayed smooth for last 1 and half month since I did the lubrication.

I have ordered http://www.ebay.in/itm/221683346318?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 - just in case I need to lubricate it again. This is safe for rubber parts (100% silicone oil, no mineral oil content) and it can withstand heat. Therefore I believe it is probably a better lubricant than mineral oil.