1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Gadgets Thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by Bala, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Thanks a lot
    Where do you get the best price?
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You can trust Amazon. It could be possible that Snapdeal or Flipkart offer less price, but if difference is 5-10% it could still be advisable from Amazon due to their excellent no-nonsense customer service. PM me if you need detailed suggestions for camera choices.

EDIT:
    PS: info provided earlier is very short and could lead to wrong choice if not read in the right perspective without understanding the whole subject of photography first.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Bala likes this.
  3. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Thanks a lot simpleson
    Budget would not be a constraint.
    Ya,I read your earlier post twice for better comprehension
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @Bala - I would suggest to buy the Camera from the Authorized Store dealer instead of Online. The Warranty coverage when bought online is still being fought by the manufacturers and the websites like Flipkart/Snapdeal. And also, you can get a better deal (almost 10-20% cheap) when bought in-store.

Let me know if your Doctor friend is open to buy from dealers in Chennai. If so, I can share few of my contacts (authorized dealers for both Nikon and Canon).
    Bala likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @ramjn, a D7000 was bought online with bill warranty from a Bangalore based authorised seller. I cannot say about snapdeal or flipkart, but Amazon offers exceptional service even for warranty issues; in case they prop up. Yes if local dealer offers even a bit or slight more price, it could be worth paying that extra amount I agree. Just to save some time and hassle.
  6. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Hello experts of DSLR, I am in the process of finalizing an entry level DSLR for me / my daughter. Looked at D5300 and 700D. Getting these for ~37000 INR with 55-200 / 55-250 lens (included). Diwali offer! But I suspect such offers of being used to clear old stock.

I am not an enthusiast, but my daughter is, but she doesn't have much time. So, it may end in my hands. My budget is up to 40K (at most). Are these DSLRs usually of APS-C format? I understand that full-frame ones are used by professionals and are heavier.

One fundamental doubt - I use spectacles with high +ve number. So, while manually focusing the view on DSLR, the adjustment will be suiting my eye-sight, right? Will that be suitable to make a sharp image on the sensor? Are there any limitations in this respect? If there are, I may not be able to use it effectively.

Please give comments and advise me.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I suggest you read about 'bokeh' @Ravi_M. Also google about diopter adjustment on dslr. Another aspect you need to see is presence of in body focus motor a good to have feature on Nikon esp. Can save and use cheaper lenses that way. Cheaper not always in image quality. But good for non professionals. Full frame has certain great advantages for portraits and you get real focal distance as mentioned on lens verses that on crop factor APSC sensor cameras where you get more reach at slight compromises. If you want to have more portraits and people to capture through lenses a full frame like D610 etc. might be a good bet. But of course the budget for body and expensive lenses can shoot too high for most enthusiasts' liking.
    If camera has Wifi its a good feature to update blog families and friends or social media via smartphone or tablet connectivity. Alternatively some cameras can be updated via Bluetooth or wifi adapters. So if you get a better deal on non-wifi camera body you can check this option too. Prosumer or semi pro-grade camera have part alloy shells which give them better weather and abuse tolerance and also have better mirror and shutter mechanisms with high MTBF. So they are worth the extra money too incase you are contemplating that too while actual purchase.
  8. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you @asimpleson, for a concise but comprehensive comment!
    At first, I couldn't make much out of it though. I did wiki about 'bokeh', and read a bit, but couldn't relate it to my query. I continued further read on internet and also consulted some photo-enthu friends. I checked online prices and then realized that the offered one was D5200 and not D5300. D5300 with 18-55 was for 38500 INR. DPRiview says Nikon is better at entry-level and I anyway am inclided to Nikon after using Coolpix 4500. Finally went again to the shop and among 5200 and 5300, ended-up buying D5200 with 18-55 and 55-200 Nikor VR-II lenses with a Benro tripod for 36000 INR.

I hope it was a good deal. Any comments?
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ravi_M . Thats indeed a good deal you got there. Wish I could have responded to your query earlier.

In a DSLR system the body is important for some main features, to look for are the very basics, Sensor, focus points and AF system, view finder, ergonomics, ISO , FSP. But the real gem in the whole dslr system is the lens. The better the lens the better the output. I would have suggested you to start working with just a single lens with more range , Nikon 18-105 VR or the Nikon 18-140 VR. A friend just got the Nikon D5200 with 18-140 + bag + 8GB card for around 33K. Did good to get the D5200 as the premium for the D5300 is not really worth it for bigginers

IMO thats a better deal as you do not need to change lens as often due to limited reach of the 18-55mm. With time one can figure out the range that works best for him/her and then work on improving those areas.

Which Tripod did you get ? A thumb rule is to always get a tripod which as the weight capacity of atleast 2 times the weight of the your system and the tripod legs should have the weight capacity more than that of the tripod head. I had waited sometime before investing in a good tripod and have not felt the need to change for the last 4-5 years now :). Wouldn't need to in future unless miraculously I get into wildlife photography.
  10. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you @kunwar.g . Never mind the delay in your reply as it is still useful to confirm info gathered so far.

I considered 18-140 also, as it covers most useful range in one set. However, after reading some advices on net, I concluded that 18-55 was the best to start with for sharp image and for initial training to be followed by a suitable zoom. Some wrote that 18-140 has poor sharpness towards 140 and it is also pretty big to carry everytime. In the shop, I had concluded to go for D5300 (for GPS and double ISO) with just one lens 18-55 for ~38500 INR, with the same Benro T600EX tripod, but consulted a camera enthu friend again and he advised to go for D5200 with two sets of lenses as zoom is also very much needed. Also GPS is not a big deal and can be added with 3.5 K later (external device though). The best deal from Nikon was for D5200, hence I finally took that. Dealer was also pressing for the same. He didn't have D5300 ready (may be fooling me to go for D5200). With two lenses D5300 was 10K costlier. *GB card and bag were anyway part of the camera box.

Yeh! I think it was a good deal, if not as good as your other friend. We need to compare price difference of two sets and one set of lenses of the two deals.

Ravi_M