1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Gadgets Thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by Bala, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Hi rejin
    Thanks for your reply
    Already a 24 yr old window Ac exists which am thinking of replacing to save power and hence the question.So a provision for a window exists already and only a split Ac might require new drilling
    While I pay 3 k for 2.months with a window Ac,next room doc pays only 800 rs for 2 months with a samsung split Ac
    So i was always puzzled
    Hi Simpleson,howz you.
    Thanks for your reply,very eloborate and informative..I apologize if I had hurt in the health is wealth thread,you should continue with your good work there.
  2. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Bala

It is not the case that split consumes less power than window ,be it any company.
    In my opinion window will result in lower power consumption as compared to split because the piping losses are more in case of split.

Now comes the point that is the executive lying , I would say no he is just not fully informed.
    The reason they say split will be lighter on bill is that the new split unit are coming up with Inverter technology which is not available in window(hope voltas is also offering the same can't guarantee).Inverter is basically a frequency regulator which just controls the motor RPM very finely.
    Now how it works in an AC.
    As we switch on the window AC there is a jerk we can feel on the voltage this is due to the intial starting torque required by the compressor motor and the current at that point of time is 10 times the rated current of the motor.This makes your energy meter move 1 unit instantly where as you did not used the AC for any moment.This will happen repeatedly as many times the compressor is switched on due to thermostat temp setting while running.
    Now with inverter tech. This Inverter will start the compressor motor very gently in stepless without jerk and and won't consume that initial in rush current and thereby reducing initial start energy unit. The compressor motor in normal mode will also be power saving because in normal AC the motor is running at its peak stated rpm where as in inverter it runs at rpm according to load.The lower the rpm the lower elec consumption.
    Now it will come to mind that we should go for split then.
    again a Inverter split will only be power saving where you run your AC 24 hours then only you can reap its benefit otherwise if you are running just for your night sleep then forget it if power saving is the criteria.
    and BTW why are you going for Voltas. Voltas used to be a good AC once when they manufactured it not now.
    Pls check whether they are offering inverter tech then only rate difference is justifyable.
    asimpleson and Bala like this.
  3. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Kkaul
    That was a wealth of information,thanks
    Yes,was thinking of voltas since there are day long unbelievable offers on voltas and bluestar in snapdeal
    Thanks a lot
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    No Sir, you didn't say anything to anyone there IIRC. You just commented on overall how things sounded to you in those discussions. So no hurt for sure. Worry not! :)
    Bala likes this.
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    There was also this unbelievable offer on a motorized treadmill at 20 k
    Since it was from a company called energy,3 months warranty only,apprehensive.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @KKAUL, agree with you that Voltas used to be a good company. However, when we bought a Quadricool AC from Hitachi our expectations were high. We do not have a habit of touching the AC or fiddling with settings often. Inspite of this, this particular unit had been plagued with issues. Electronics of it. Apart from that the cooling is just fine. But nothing as good as Daikin or an Onida..! :wtf:
    Well Onida too made a very good AC Tracy 1.5 with ioniser and a Japanese rotary compressor. And believe me that works as good as a Daikin I get to sample very often the cooling of. So yes brands time and again bring out some very good products, but the material used and the overall product matter.

I would recommend @Bala to jump to Split AC unit and depending on room size maybe opt for a 1.2 ton model instead of 1.5. As regards inverter he must actually calculate the yearly consumption. If the unit pays back difference within compressor warranty period the extra amount for inverter AC is fully justified.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Bala likes this.
  7. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @asimpleson

Quadricool: Its a fantastic AC with dual motor tech stricly the models which were supplied from year 2002- 2004 .Yes it earned a reputation of faulty electronics and faulty blower and condenser motor. Even I still have 2 of them 2004 models running absolutely fine never even touched them. The cooling is absolutely fine for the current it draws with peak limiter at 8.5 A
    If you do not have a voltage fluctiuation then remove the stabliser and connect it to the mains . You will see the response difference.

Split : No denial on the fact that Daikin rules and no body right now ia anyway near to it as far as quality to cost is concerned.
    can't comment on onida as never seen. If going for inverter tech better to stay with Diakin rather than Voltas which is nothing but a fully chinese AC

For the idea of split to window comparison. I will give you the eg. A car AC is more or less a spit unit .Do you know what is the efficiency of the AC? try to find out then I will give you the answer.
    As far as BTU and Star rating is concerned these are clear eyewash for common man who is least interested in what material is in the AC and what exactly he is getting for the money he is paying.
    at last its Bala who has to decide
    kunwar.g likes this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I wouldn't know where to find it. Isn't it faster cooling achieved for a given set temperature at minimum current draw. If you are talking of mechanical or thermal efficiency with respect to material technology etc. I am afraid I am limited at understanding the math and also limited to resources of information, perhaps also the will to know about it. But of course does not mean its not important. Do tell.

Sadly thats the case as you say and I couldn't agree more. But if one looks hard enough it can be possible to make a wise decision.

On the other hand, I believe Air conditioner one should buy the best money can buy involving the best technology without breaking the bank and killing something that needs more priority when cash flow is limited. But I do not mean to say that good brands like Toshiba or Mitsubishi or Daikin should be selected paying exorbitant premiums. Maybe premium yes to some extent but how much depends on the total market options for comparable technologies and material and brand value.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  9. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Guys
    Your expert advice needed again,please
    A doc friend is planning to buy a dslr camera as a birthday gift for his teen son in dental college,to finetune his hobby
    Your suggestions please
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If he wants to learn yet, there is a common view to invest less in body and more in lenses. However, these things depreciate a lot in lot less time. So assuming for any reason if its not used much and user does not wish to upgrade for a longer interval that usual, it needs to have decent built quality and great autofocus and weather sealing and high shutter life and good video capabilities too, it is always advisable to buy a prosumer camera. Like a D7000, D7100 or D7200 depending on deal and budget. Within Canon the 60D or 70D or if money no issues a leagues ahead 7D Mark2 especially for birding and sports where quick and accurate autofocus is key. These are options for smaller APS-C format. For full frame he could pick up something like Nikon D610 in a deal or better depending on budget. However, these also need more expensive lenses and are often considered pro grade cameras. As usual, along with a kit lens better to buy the commonly recommended high value for money 50mm F1.8 too.

If however, one does not wish to spend that much most entry level cameras offer good capabilities and sensors shared with their higher prosumer grade models. Like the Nikon D5200 or D5300 for example. It is important for the buyer to ascertain to a certain degree if he wants to spend time doing photography or if he does not know if he will pursue it due to other priorities in life. Depending on that he could fix a budget and hunt for deals.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Bala likes this.