1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Gadgets Thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by Bala, Sep 28, 2010.

1. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Unless and otherwise you have a very good connection, you will never get your phone back. Btw, the police just don't take pains to get back a phone. Its actually pretty easy if the network operator help. Do you believe if we have got back phone within 6 hours of loosing it ? it was the days before Android. With the IMEI number, the new sim number was tracked. All calls in and out of that number was tracked for three hours. Ownership details prepared and calls were made to all the number from the police station. The phone was back with my friend within 6 hours. Damn he had great local connections.

Later when my friend lost her phone in Chennai, they were not even ready to take down a complaint. I was in my home town and I asked the above friend to accompany her and complaint was immediately taken. After a month, they called to the police station and showed some 50 phones and asked to Identify the phone. After some half hour checking, they found that her phone was not in the lot and hence the police guy gave two choices, pick one phone from the lot and close the complaint or keep the complaint open intimate when the next catch comes in. She was smart and picked a phone 3 times the price of her phone:dancing
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    What I meant was for higher baud rates and better protocols next gen 2.5G or 2.75G GPRS and EDGE is used. Yes these require special settings IMHO from the operator and can be disabled from the operator end or phone end both. Anyways, the main point was that CDMA has proven to offer more better network and Internet speeds too. Except the earlier hardware would heat up a lot after prolonged used.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    If one loses a smart phone , the best thing to do is to go through the formalities, lodge a complaint, if lucky will get it or simply move on. Just ensure that you deny the thief the opportunity to use the phone by asking the operator to deactivate, and also ensure that the phone is password protected. Going through the hassles is not worth it IMO.

Abdul
  4. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Purchased an Alcatel One Touch Idol x+. I have never been a fan of MTK chipsets, but I just couldnt resist the value for money proposition this phone offers over the so called big names.

Still experimenting with the phone and so far loving it.

Ordered on Friday late night and received delivery yesterday. Flipkart is awesome.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Ordered 4 items in past week from Amazon.

1 MC UV filter for camera lens. - seller sent wrong item at first (received replacement later after few hrs. of struggle with Customer Service and seller)
    1 DSLR remote
    2 SD Cards - 32GB microSDHC and another 64GB SDXC - again one was wrong spec. MicroSDXC instead of SDXC.

Things worth noting are that you can return and claim, but there is no official replacement button or sections dedicated for same. However seller can initiate replacement from his end if he is willing to. And in the case of UV filter seller did fulfill commitment albeit a bit too late and without prompt or insufficient or unclear communication in between as would have been expected.

Also, Item that is picked up for refund by courier takes unreasonably long time to update and reflect on their end. Refund may happen but one needs to keep a track on things else you may never hear from them even after a week or 10 days until you remind them. Still awaiting update after the wrong spec item was picked-up again for return.

Overall big points to Amazon for providing some very competitive rates, time to deliver product is reasonable or sometimes very fast, but after sales handling is poor to pathetic depending on your issues faced. The only other reason to buy from there is that they have a call button and you get callback and connected instantaneously to their customer service people, although I think the calls are routed via some IP telephony service making voice call quality very poor during peak hours.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Ordered Asus Zenphone5 (Red with 8GB) from Flipkart in the afternoon for 9.9K. Had been looking for the model for the past 4-5 days ever since I lost my mobile. Luckily one of my office colleague had bought one so experienced it first hand. The phone works like a charm.

The issue however is Flipkart order deliver initially showed 12th Aug, but now changed to 19th Aug. The wait is going to be a pain.
  7. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Ghodlur, it's a good purchase.
    I bought zenphone 4 for my Dad and it is superb.
    Zenphone 5 with 2gb ram for 10k is a steal.

Advice needed guys.
    My Samsung tab2 10.1 gets connected to wifi only when it wishes.It gets connected one day and does not on another day.
    There is no problem with the wifi since 3 other android devices at home get connected instantly.
    Any solution?
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It maybe due to DNS problem. What you can do is reserve static IP address for each device connected to router. You need to lock MAC ID of each device for address reservation. Maybe that should help. Google "mac id address reservation and xyz"<< xyz is you router brand name.

address reservation.PNG
  9. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Simpleson,heard from Amazon that you are going to be appointed their brand ambassador :)

Regarding the mac address problem I shall try today,otherwise you will have to tell me step by step :)

These online stores are making people shopaholic and spendthrifts (not you,me!)
    I have made flipkart.com one of my Web pages and check in for deals even at midnight :(
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Haha, not again; some made these remarks since they know me for speaking good about Fiat cars, other about a Fiat ASC, and now Amazon. ::D

Hopefully you will figure out on your own. Else google has tons of Step by Step info. :)
    Here is one link of popular TP-Link routers. How to configure Address Reservation on TP-LINK wireless router - Welcome to TP-LINK

Internet also gives you most up-to-date information and trending things including comparison options like specs. etc. So yes spendthrifts it makes one but also the fun or satisfaction of making a better informed purchase decision. Don't know if it's boon or curse, but we would not have known otherwise so many things that we could have possibly missed when we bought stuff without internet shopping.