1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Gadgets Thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by Bala, Sep 28, 2010.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Windows UI is great esp. the fonts and contrasty nature of it (better on eyes, even more in darker environments), once you get used to it. The screen in Nokia is as good as an AMOLED. However Android has wider acceptance and is more user-friendly and flexible overall.

BTW, the volume on Nokia 520/525 is perfect and better than most phones I have used till date. Also the excellent hardware and overall feel of longevity is there that come with a Nokia phone. The phone is heavier but not much of an issue. For me with windows phone there was a wow feeling at first, then a bit of dislike and annoyances and now again I feel nice about it when I compare it with the Androids at home. The tiles interface on Windows UI is wonderful, a boon for people over 50s or for those compromised a bit on eyesight. I sometimes feel that if marketplace for windows was as vast as google I would have bought a Lumia myself.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I have installed an Android port on Samsung's Galaxy s8500 (wave) which comes with a BADA OS, however it has limited functionality with network. It has a great hardware and is compact as per my liking. I want to revive this phone with Android due to it's sound quality. It has a Wolfson DAC. :ugeek:
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Bala, if ur dad is not using the mobile network, switch it off. This makes a big iprovement in battery life. 3G will drain the battery very quickly. so will a 2G which is switched on. Try it.

Abdul
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Very good suggestion, also install Task Kill Pro and UNMOUNT SD software. Simply unmounting SD card can save a lot of battery. Also push most apps to SD card and mount SD before use. You will need to figure for yourself and show that to him.

My very old gen Android is working well even today with these tricks.
  4. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    After 10 days of using the Zenphone 4, I am amazed at the product. :)
    No one can give anything more for 6k.
    All the negatives have corrected themselves,I think even phones have a run in period :).The battery lasts for more than a day,the speaker volume has become quite loud and there is no negative at all with the phone now except for the reliability issues in the long run and the lack of a Nokia like build quality.
    The low resolution screen is amazing,videos have depth and give a 3D image,colour reproduction is unmatched.
    The phone is better than my note2 in all departments.

MotoG should be feeling the heat from xiaomi mi3 and the Zenphone 5 (which is always out of stock), price has dropped by 2000 to 10 k at flipkart.com
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    I too read about it Simpleson,but I think it is Xiaomi's default setting and is not done with Intent.After all Chinese would know that Indians are brainy and would not be dumb to not know that there is a kind of mobile tracking sw.There should be ways to disable that.Xiaomi would be eager to grab a major market share and would not shoot itself in its feet.
    Even other wise are we sharing military secrets for Xiaomi to track?.
    At times if reviewers are not paid,they do tend to harm a company.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I guess the Westerners are all wary of Chinese and so should we. The Chinese are proven to be aggressive, also in the IT space and pulling off stunts such as massive planned hacker attacks etc. on key sites and servers internationally.

What Chinese companies should do is stay away from hardcoding/hardwiring IPs and tracking stuff back to their servers which keeps the phones vulnerable to hacking. Maybe the military secrets are not shared that easily but there is considerable amount of sensitive national information or info related to trade and commerce exchanged on phones. I agree that an ordinary guy might not be there on their list, but still why do companies make such moves. There are perfectly legitimate ways to collect user or product feedback and data, but only with full declaration of intent and prior consent. In the European world there is considerable awareness on these issues and even average consumer would strictly keep away from things that compromise network or data security in any remote way.

Reminds me of a Sci-fi scene from some movie or TV Soap where the hacker takes control of the vehicle's ECU remotely etc. and kills the driver by accelerating and colliding the vehicle. Except this is not just Sci-fi and is totally possible in theory and practice albeit too far-fetched for ordinary citizen to be a target. ::D

- - - Merged Post - - -

https://www.ted.com/talks/avi_rubin_all_your_devices_can_be_hacked

http://www.ted.com/talks/malte_spitz_your_phone_company_is_watching

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...aded-with-spyware-claims-security-firm-543500
    1 person likes this.
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Just like how the MH 370 was steered to god knows where!!

Abdul
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Don't remember which Aircraft manufacturer probably Boeing or Airbus or maybe engine manufacturer like GE or Rolls-Royce, has a remote real-time monitoring of engine parameters and performance as a part of continuous evaluation for R&D.

So Yes, not just conspiracy theories, but what a shame that an entire sophisticated plane gets lost. So much for Sonars and Radars and ultra hi-tech satellite surveillance stuff. Hope they find it soon.

Abdul, sometime in 1998-99 the disc manufacturing plant where I worked just for fun & experience (no real intent to make money then ;)); they had this high-tech vending machine that could be completely controlled for real-time on-line production control as well as troubleshooting from their Singapore based machine manufacturer's office. :cool:
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Just my 2 cents.

The world is not worried about Google tracking everyone's life day in and day out but they are scared of a Chinese company probably trying to gather some debug info for future enhancements. I don't know the actual intent of both companies but if one is not buying a Xiaomi for sending out data off the phone, they should stop using google and Android as well.