1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Gadgets Thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by Bala, Sep 28, 2010.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Am I late to the party (wrt to laptop recommendation 2 pages back?)

A laptop in the budget of 25-30k for browsing.

Please have a look at Acer V5 series ultrabook form factor laptop.

I am using an Acer Aspire V5-431 laptop that I bought for 28k and has the following specs:
    CPU: Pentium Dual Core 2117U 1.8GHz Dual Core
    RAM: 4GB RAM
    HDD: 500GB HDD
    Windows 8.1 Single Language
    USB 3.0 port x1, USB 2.0 ports x2
    8x DVD writer (No slim laptops have an optical drive in this price point).

CONS:
    - I am using this laptop since Oct 2013. Within 2 months, colour peeled off from bezel. This laptop is known to peel off colour near the webcam. Solution is to laminate the laptop. I have done the same since the bezel was replaced by acer.
    - Other con is price. Except for USB 3.0 and a slim form factor, same specced laptop from acer costs Rs20k or something in the avatar of E-series (IIRC).

acerV5_silver_.jpg
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    How do you like Windows 8.1 Paddleshifter? Most people I know were pissed off for reasons and went back to the classic start menu interface with windows 7 or vista.

Might I suggest that along with Acer a bit better option is the Toshiba which if deal is good one can get at Rs. 17k onwards with 15.6" screen and reasonable other specs. It's best for people like myself who prefer buying their own retail OS for installing later.
  3. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Hmm, good option.
    Right now am trying to source an i5 asus laptop from the US,bought for 450 usd.
    If my relatives coming here during june refuse to carry that, I will buy one here.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am totally liking it. Especially the mail and news apps etc. in the metro interface. All my mails and news from various websites are downloaded in the morning that I can read even when offline later. Many of these things are possible with Win 7 also but it all in the way that Win 8.1 does it. One can have lots of things to do even if there is nothing to do on a laptop otherwise during free time. :p

Mouse pad gestures are amazing (feature of acer). 4 fingers swipe for going to metro. Edge of track pad can be swiped to bring up the side menu where power options are located.

Thing is that there is a 4-5 hour learning curve where you have to sit down and work on the windows features and explore them. Once you spend this time, it is impossible to go back.

Win 8.1.jpg

metro.jpg
    3 people like this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I heard MS is introducing an update to introduce menu interface for Windows 8x. Not sure when.

Can someone suggest me a good LCD/LED monitor with very good color renditions (True colors, not like the one we see in Samsungs)? I know Apple is good but that is too costly for me.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The closest in that area are the DELL ULTRASHARP series monitors. Prices start at 17-18k onwards for 24 inch monitors.

For cheaper alternatives also you would need to find IPS monitors from other manufacturers.
    1 person likes this.
  7. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I really don't need a monitor of that size. I should be fine with around 17". Is the ULTRASHARP available in these sizes too?
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  9. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    If the price is below 20k, it is fine with me. Which one should be good? U series or Non U Series? :)
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The one below also looks nice, low on price and better sized for today's wide aspect viewing..
    Dell S2240L 21.5 inch LED Monitor - Buy Online @ Rs.8425/- | Snapdeal.com

- - - Merged Post - - -

U series any day. :) Their Ultrasharp monitors are great quality and built by some very reputed vendors as per Dell's specifications.