1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Gadgets Thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by Bala, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Was thinking about this question.
    It is already adviced to buy a mobile after seeing it's SAR value,not to carry it in body and keep the wifi switched off when not in use to avoid radiation hazard leading to various diseases including cancers.
    Now,various companies from Samsung to motorola to LG are vying with each other to launch a smart watch.Already when we are using too many gadgets from a mobile to a tablet,won't using another device in the form of a watch,that too carried all day on the body be very detrimental?
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There is a whole document about wifi and cellular radiation that has shown affects on human bodies. There was a british documentary on youtube that people should watch to make them understand how increasing dependance of these gadgets will potentially create health issues in the long term. I suppose ambiguity that surrounds these questions makes it difficult for people to believe about this issue. I can however say that like any radiation, there are long term side effects to this radiation as well.
  3. I am planning to buy Asus FonePad 7 with 16 gb expandable to 64gb, 3g calling, wifi, gps, 1.6 dual core, 1 gb ram, 7 inch, android 4.2. I already hav a samsung omnia windows phone andlumia 520 my wifes. So thought atleast the tab can be a android. My primary usage for the tab wud be maps and videos for my son during travel. Though i am a nokia and WP fan , for this I hav to go with android.
  4. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ^^ Also do check out Nexus Asus 2012 edition tabs. Should be available at a great price. They are upgradable to Kit Kat version as well. Value for money buy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Advice needed guys on purchase
    1.A 15 inch laptop for just browsing and chatting on yahoo or Skype with relatives in the US.Maximum budget is 25 to 30 k.made a huge mistake of not buying one in the US when I was there, was at least 30 percent cheaper (reason being we have to keep suitcases unlocked in inter city flights and there is every possibility of that being stolen, my cousin got her expensive apple system stolen that way).The Hp slate 21 I bought for 30k 5 months is a complete disaster and useless,so your advice needed guys on a reliable laptop which can do browsing fast and be useful for chatting. Got a quote of 29 k for a dell 15 inch i3 laptop at Saravana stores, seems cheap.
    2.A basic treadmill,which should not end up as a cloth hanger :).people recommend motorised ones but they are expensive,, even a basic BSA motorised tread mill costs 26 k.why not buy a non mocostirised around for 16k.saw an advertisement about a brand wellcare selling motorised ones from 17 k, any ideas?
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Goto Snapdeal or Flipkart, select budget range. 15000-25000, Screen size, Brand and other details.

My recommendation..

Brand (in order of priority) - Toshiba, Dell, Acer, HP, Fujitsu. (Fujitsu service support can be a problem)
    Screen Size : 14" or 15.6" (14" is good for weight & compactness, 15.6 is good for video and surfing.)
    HDD : 500GB atleast.
    RAM : 2Gb atleast, should be upgradable to 4gb if you want windows vista or windows 7
    CPU any AMD APU or Celeron CPU, (Pentium Dual Core still better)
    Dedicated Graphics : Not much choice in budget, there maybe one or two models with 1gb dedicated graphics. AMD APU comes with radeon graphics, however, some models have dedicated ones if budget can be flexed a bit.

A Few links here, there are many deals there, you can configure your requirements.

http://www.snapdeal.com/products/computers-laptops/?sort=plrty&#plrty|Price:16224,25312|

I think it is best to buy motorised. Manual ones bought by people I have seen were junked soon to be replaced with motorised one for reasons of speed and discomfort.
    Cheaper brands I am not sure of. Best to buy one with service support. The one you mentioned is from Tamilnadu, best to ask them.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Thanks a lot yar.
    Was very helpful and informative for a novice and a not so computer savvy person like me.
    Your opinion on motorised treadmill was also correct.
    Buying from flipcart will show in my bank account and I will end up paying taxes indirectly.
  8. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    About the Android 4.3 update in my Samsung note 2.
    Though the update was available even for the past 6 months, I updated my mobile only last month after hearing negative reviews.
    The positives are numerous.
    The display has become crisper and brighter and the screen looks like full hd one now.
    Notifications,missed calls and music player is available even in the lock screen now,wished I had updated much earlier to change music tracks with out having to unlock the screen.
    Negatives.
    It takes 1 hour to charge just 10 percent, for example if you already have 50 percent charge,to charge the remaining 50 percent it will take another 5 hours.
    The phone is terribly laggy.Yes all Samsung phones are laggy but even a 30k one ????
    Can not accept this and as I had already said will never buy a Samsung phone again.
    1 person likes this.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Time to get the S5 at 51K :evilsmile

The battery might need calibration. Try it.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    S2 was my first and last Samsung phone.

Now, owning a Nokia (L 920) again and happy with it. :)