1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Full Synthetic Gear Oil

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by moksh, May 30, 2013.

1. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Hie TFIians
    Have a short query for gear oil
    can we use
    [h=1]Mobilube 1 SHC™ 75W-90[/h]this is full synthetic

99rpm has
    [h=1]Mobil Mobilube GX| 80W-90| API-GL4| 2.5L[/h]
  2. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Somebody Reply I need To buy It ASAP
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    75W-90 Gear oils very rare to find in small bottles they only come in barrels.
    You can use 80W-90 oils rated GL-4. Avoid GL-5 oils they are bad for synchronizers in gearbox.

Fiat OEM oil is of 75W-85 grade GL-4
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  4. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Yes even i got an reply from 99rpm ,they said its only available in 20ltrs.
    Thanks anyway
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I'm looking at
    Shell spirax S2 G, 80W-90
    Any ideas on that?

Secondly, my engine oil is MD-1 and i've seen that it exceeds FIATs recommendations and specifications and used by big age trucks.
    Is it not possible to do the same with gearbox oil as well?
    This spirax S2 meets the requirements but does not exceed it. My question is would it matter in case of gearbox oil to choose the absolute best or would it be a waste of money (Reason being gearbox oils are changed far less than engine oil so it needs to be more robust )
  6. What are brands of fully synthetic oils available in the market?

is there any harm in using 80-90W oil?
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

If getting the lubricant to smoothen out the engine and gearbox is what you are looking for , then the most cost effective way would be to add additives like STP range of products to your regular oils. I will be doing it after my 75K service,

Abdul
  8. Difference between GL-4 and GL-5

GL-4 and GL-5 are standards set by the American Petroleum Institute for gear oils. GL-4 are intended for axles with spiral bevel and hypoid gears operating under moderate to severe conditions of speeds and loads. They are also suitable for sychronized manual transmissions when MT-1 gear oils are NOT recommended. GL-4 should be used in limited-slip differentials. The GL-4 generally indicates "Limited Slip" properties in the gear oil; sometimes abbreviated as LS.
    GL-5 is indicated for high-speed/shock loads and low-speed/high-torque conditions. GL-5 also has multi-purpose or mild EP (extreme) properties too. GL-5 is often seen with the MT-1 designation too.
    MT-1 indicates lubricants intended for NON-sychronized manual transmissions. MT-1 indicates the additional additives necessary to protect against thermal degradation, component wear and oil-seal deterioration which are not requirements by GL-4 or GL-5 approval.
    GL-5 is not the latest and greatest improvement over GL-4; unlike oil classifications where higher classification numbers mean tougher standards and backward compatiblity. It is important to know what type of gears you are lubricating, their applications and follow the manufacturer's recommendations! More information can be found at American Petroleum Institute.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes that's also one of the requirements but i'm not sure of the effects of doing so.
    Hence i'm refraining from doing anything like that until i get full info.
    My car is due for all fluid change in about 1000kms and since I've long said good bye to ASS i'm sourcing parts myself . This gives me the correct opportunity to actually see if there are products that exceed what FIAT recommends and I"m only going to use that. Started with MD-1

On similar lines i'm looking for better and easily available
    gearbox oil
    clutch fluids
    coolant
    power steering oil
  10. I am using clutch/brake fluid made exclusively for ford, i saw it and picked it up. i guess it is not difficult to source them as I saw even castrol fully synthetic one was available in market.