1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fuel Leakage problem in Linea Petrol

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Siddhartha86, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Re: Fuel Leakis what ourisage problem in Linea Petrol

Very scary,exuse me for being naive for posting this question.
    Is only petrol inflamable and not the diesel??
    This what our stupid driver told us after puncuring the diesel tank after riding over a huge stone(estimate is 10k for the tank and the protective shield inclusive)
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Hey guys just relax m not chill about this matter either.But m just delaying cuz 1st of all the fuel doesnt drip on d exhuast system nor it has any contact with the exhaust pipe either.It just dripps from bottom right side of the rear wheel thru a blue colored pipe n drips bang on the ground,n it only dripps till where d fuel is trapped above the mark and after that it stops.After confirming everything only i drove to the factory otherwise i wud've come with sumone elz ::O

And ya m sayin to fill less fuel cuz der shud be sum space (air) in the tank (as told to me by TASS).So 7 ltrs reserve +38ltrs top up shud be it.

This problem is known to TASS n they are taking time to procure the desired part so m waiting.As soon as i get it done il post the updates.

@ bala

yea diesel is not flamable like petrol.Even a naked flame if thrown on diesel ,takes lots of time to catch fire.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Is this problem only in Petrol cars or some batches of cars as I have not noticed fuel dripping from my car.
    Sometimes diesels overflows from filler when diesel filler keeps on filling even after auto cut-off to round off the Rs. figure.
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    That pipe is for throwing out excess fuel. In Petrol Linea, there is a fuel canister inside the rear right side wheel arc. This was shown at factory also. This is for throwing out excess fuel. May be Aron's threshold limit for full-tank is lowered due to some calibration issue & hence. Else I've not seen or heard this issue in any other Linea.
    Chill !!

And Aron - get that rectified soon.
  5. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Ive got a rectification for this problem and they have replaced the filler tube for my car and its worth 6k..havnt done a full tank after that..will do so and report bak..in the mean time anyone facing this problem tell TASS to replace filler tube...
  6. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Guys an update on this issue...

Problem has not been solved...had gone for a tank full..told the pump attendant to pump in worth 2300rs..auto cutoff was at 2070 with 32ltrs and i just remembered so take a peep underneath and to my horror it was leaking..the attendant forced more 30bucks worth to a round figure of 2100rs with 33ltrs..they changed the filler tube last time worth Rs6000/- but still the problem persists...m really gonna loud this time..if this problem doesnt solve im driving down to ranjangaon and handing over the keys to the officials..il tell them to drive this unsafe vehicle and give me a safe vehicle in which i can atleast tank full without any problems and have a sleepfull night.
  7. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi sidarth,

we cant use the reserve 3 litres in linea which is helpfull when tank is empty so air lock will not happen.
    So we have only 42 (45 - 3 )litres applicable for both petrol and diesel its not 45.
    so its 42/6 = 7 litresfor each section ,I dont know abt the leakeage just want to point this.
    thats why reserve is 7 litres and warning beeps when it comes to last needle point in gauge
    the fuel guage wont come to Full point normally while filling petrol.while we start driving u see the needle it will be correct.
    try to monitor with this calc in mind u will get the answer rite :)
  8. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    I don't understand this clearly. If at reserve you had 7 liters and you pumped in another 40 litres, you are way beyond the total capacity of the tank. The canister near right rear wheel is for such situations. and since the fuel in canister is unusable it will drip out. Some petrol pumps do not have the correct auto shut off in their nozzles so even after getting a signal from the full tank, they will keep pumping fuel.

Usable fuel is only 42 ltrs and 3 ltrs is to avoid a fuel starvation to the engine. Gauge calibration is for 7 ltrs for each mark. Please do not fill the tank to the brim, leave some air in the tank.

How much was the fuel when in tank when you went for a fill? You found it leaking and still allowed another extra liter to be pumped? I can't really understand the problem.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    whatever it may be. even if the tank is filled upto the brim. i.e you can see the fuel till top of the pipe, it should not leak from anywhere. something is surely wrong here. i always fill upto the brim in all my cars. i have never observed any leaks.

this is a serious safety lapse. if fuel leaks onto the heater exhaust or even the droplets fall on it it may ignite.
  10. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Chances of fire exist in only one case, if petrol you are filling has enough fumes and there is static discharge from either the attendant's hand or the filler nozzle to provide the spark. There are enough safety measures put into place in today's petrol pumps to avoid any such occurrence.

Auto ignition temp of petrol is 246 °C (495 °F) and that of diesel is 210 °C (410 °F). Outer side of exhaust or even the exhaust gases are sufficiently lower in temp at the exhaust point. So drops falling on exhaust are not going to get ignited. Additionally, exhaust is on the left side of the car where as the petrol inlet is on the right side. So maybe I am slow, I fail to see the serious security lapse.