1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fuel Leakage problem in Linea Petrol

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Siddhartha86, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Hi Guys,
    From past 3-4 times I am facing the problem of fuel leakage everytime the tank is made full.The oil starts leaking and after few minutes the leakage stops.This only happens if the tank is completely filled.
    The manual mentions that the capacity of the fuel tank is 45l ie each division on fuel gauge meter should be of 7.5l.Yesterday I went to the petrol pump the needle of the fuel gauge meter was at the last division(exactly) ie about 7.5l petrol was there in the car.The car drunk 40.2l of petrol to be precise.
    How is this possible if the tank capacity is 45l.Then the petrol started to leak and as usual it stopped after some time.
    Next when I cranked the engine to my surprise the needle of the fuel gauge meter was still not showing full tank !!!!!!!
    What can be the problem guys...Help required.

Thanks
  2. Fuel meter is not always accurate.All meters have more error at boundaries i.e near to Full tank and near Empty tank hence you can't directly divide 45 by 6.Usually there is a system in place to stop overfill, if something is wrong with this system tank can get overfilled and hence the extra petrol leaks out please get it checked.About your third question turn your key to off position and on again the fuel needle will show correct reading.
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @ siddhartha

Im too facing the same problem of excess fuel leakage when i tank full.Reserve is 7ltrs, so if claimed 45ltrs total then to be precise car shud take 38ltrs of fuel.Last time i ran to the pump when the reserve light came on (amber/orange).I topped up and the meter auto stopped at 38.35 but i told him to pump more and he did til 40.But later a biker who was behind me said ders fuel leaking from behind and dat to lots.I got worried cuz i had to leave for the fiat factory in d morning.I went aside n called d guy at the service center whom i know very well and he admitted dat ders a prob in Linea wid excess fuel leakage.He said its a ''O'' ring problem.He explained very well but i cant write out all that here.I havnt done the rectification yet.Will do it next week.He said the work wud be covered under warranty.And also while having a free fuel top up at the FIAT factory it leaked out over there also.
  4. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    What are you saying? regular problem of fuel leakage in linea? ::OO

And you seem to be not so mad about it :confused ... How is this explained by Fiat... This is criminal! :A
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    ^^ Not only criminal but also highly dangerous, i find a lot of butt heads on roads still oozing of smoke ...:(

I never faced such a problem as I never go for full tank :D, Always keep a space of 5-10L if moving on highway, and 15-20L if its only in city run :D Dont ask me logic, its funny one...keeping car low on weight :p as bunks are available all across, fill it up as and when required :p
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    if i remember right i saw one linea petrol being topped up during out factory visit and lots of fuel was wasted due to leakage.
    the pump fella kept on filling and the fuel kept on dropping on the road.
    this is a serious, non-pardonable defect. if the fuel drops on hot exhaust there can be fire.

i will check my linea too buy filling it to the brim.
  7. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    ^^ did u c me der?? mabbe it was my car ::D Yea a lot of fuel gushed out and the officials were screaming at d fuel pump guy and told me theres a hole in my tank :wow But i knew there was no hole or dent or so.It only throws out the extra fuel trapped above a certain threshold which it shudnt also known as a ''O''ring problem.Hence concludes a defect.It didnt leak out throughout my journey ::O Anyone facing such problem shud get it rectified asap and just fillup 35-36ltrs of fuel apart from reserve.
  8. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    @ aaron- this is not child play we talking about or doing alternate ways of solving it by not doing tank- full. This is dangerous. I suggest you plug this hole right now! it can't be discussed so casually. In fact you should have started this thread in the first place.

I have driven 38600km and every filling has been a tank- full. I believe in the advice more of not to drive much in near empty so as to cause more harm to your car than this rubbish of not doing a tank- full because of a defect.

If Fiat confirms that this is a problem in all lineas, I m ensuring that no advice given by me to any my friends or relatives will be pro-fiat.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Aaron,

ya for sure it was your car. even that time i was discussing with other how cool this guy was about this issue and drove away :hit

if i would have been in your case i would have screwed fiat right and left.

you have no idea how dangerous this can be.

i remember an incident when a luna-moped person was filling petrol in tank and i was on my bike behind him.

suddenly i dont know what happened the fuel spilled on the hot silencer pipe and it ignited in dizzy flame(not blast) with smoke. the pump attendant threw the pipe and ran away and i tried to escape and fell off from the bike so did the luna wala.

luckily nothing disastrous happened but this could have blew up the entire pump.

common man...why to fill less fuel because of the defect. if Fiat knows this defect there should be a major recall instead of passing this mum. :uh :punch :firey
  10. @atulvenkar : I am not saying that fuel meter needle was at the 0 position or the initial but it was at the half of the last division ie the tank was not filled upto the brim or there is some error with the fuel gauge meter.

Most probably I will be going to the TASS on Monday then will see what can happen.