1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fuel gauge behavior in punto

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by mvb4u, Nov 8, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I observed this only once. Not immediately after fuel filling. It needle was at max position. I stopped the vehicle for a break. When again started the level was showing one unit low. I continued driving and it took long time for it to again reach the max position. But this never occurred again.
  2. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It will take its own time to rise.

But, one off and on of ignition changes the picture.
  3. bluepunter

bluepunter Amatore

Bangalore
    It will not take its sweet time. There is a designated time duration programmed into the instrument cluster. This time duration is called indication damping. If this damping would not be there then we would have seen the fuel pointer dancing between various points. The fuel gauge will take this designated duration to analyse the fuel level in the tank & displays. If we need to have an instant look at the fuel level, then we should do one off and on of the ignition.
    2 people like this.
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    The needle will not show the accurate level of fuel in the tank after a cold start/refuel, i always keep an eye for this red signal and fill it as soon it nears the red so that no issues with the tank going empty..
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    But in my Punto it shoots up to the correct level once I switch on the car after refuel. I have seen in Ritz it takes more time to get the correct value but Fiat it is instantaneous.
  6. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If we shut the engine during refuelling and switch the ignition switch to MAR Fuel Gauge shows correct level at once always. But what I actually wanted to know was refueling without turning off the engine and time taken to show the revised fuel level.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I think we need to switch of the engine while filling petrol. Do the manual mention about it?
  8. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, we need to switch off the engine when refueling. And the manual also says to shut off the engine while refueling.

But, at times I refuel without turning off the engine.
  9. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Ditto here :p

@mvb4u: I've heard that it can be risky, with those explosions and all, do turn it off
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  10. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Now I am making it a habit to switch off the engine before refueling.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012