1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fuel gauge behavior in punto

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by mvb4u, Nov 8, 2012.

1. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Me, observed that when I refuel my punto, the fuel gauge needle takes time to show the revised fuel level(refueling with the engine running). This is the case even I refill from quarter tank to full tank. If, I turn off the ignition and again turn it on then, it shows the revised level with in the time all the tell-tale signs go off. However, If I turn off the ignition before refueling and turn it on after filling then it shows the level before all tell tale lights settle down.

Is this the way the fuel gauge of the punto designed? or is there any problem with my fuel guauge?

I saw in verna the fuel gauge shows in real time i.e. I refueled with engine on and it instantly reflected the change in fuel level. That's why I got the doubt regarding my fuel gauge behavior in punto.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
  2. dharmesh

dharmesh

mumbai
    I dont think so this is a issue, same happens to me as well. To see the latest fuel reading, I just switch off ignition once and then start again and it shows the latest or it will take it's own sweet time to show the actual reading.

Or other thing can be, we both have fuel gauge problem in your car. :evilsmile
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So, It can be safely concluded that fuel gauge is designed to take its own time before showing up the new fuel level.

I don't think we both have the same problem.:mrgreen:
  4. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    it happens in My Palio also, its completely normal. it is been designed in this way I beleive.
  5. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for confirmation. Congrats on new absolute 2012.
  6. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore

I think the fuel gauge works and displays the real time levels. It only takes time to show the actual reading when you just fill up diesel/petrol. While running, i can see the fuel gauge fluctuating. Just rip your car couple of times and then you can see a level change!

The fact and the best practice is to switch off your ignition while you refuel but most of us don't tend to follow the practice.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  7. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    I also have noticed the same thing at petrol stations.
    but i also noticed another strange thing which is, when i start my car after it is parked for a longer time and then i start, the indicator shows that i have a little less fuel than i stopped the car at. but when i drive it for say 5-6km the needle is back to its original position :confused
  8. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Please monitor your KM readings. You don't want to get stuck on the road like I did. My unit gave incorrect readings and I ran out of fuel despite the optimistic gauge showing 25% full.
  9. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I always cross check by estimating the fuel needed to make the tank full and the actual fuel gone into the tank to make sure that how accurate the fuel gauge reading is. Actual fuel will be always with in 1 to 1.5 liters of my estimation. If difference is more than that there is something to my suspicion either the diesel pump reading is not accurate or the fuel gauge is showing a wrong level.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Today i kept my engine on while refueling. I did a full tank, but the needle never rose :) I switched off the ignition and restarted, the needle immediately showed full mark.