1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fuel filter - Is it necessary to change every 15000 kms?

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by chethansgangoor, May 14, 2013.

1. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Are you facing low fuel economy.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes,dropped by few Kms upto 6Kmpl. yesterday had a call with Sutaria FIAT Belgaum and explained them the issue.Mostly i wil change the clutch(running on stock clutch) and lets see the difference. ODO at 1.47Lakhs
  3. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Do a simple test to check whether clutch system is at fault or not.

Run the car in 5th gear at exact 80 or 100 kmph on a open road and then check the engine rpm. At 80 it should be 1900 to 2000 and at 100 it should be 2300 to 2400 rpm.If these are not matching then you have worn out clutch.

No SC guy would be able to tell a worn out clutch without opening it and if opened you have to replace it. Rest you are the best judge.

FYI FE drop is from 2 reasons
    1) Losses in transmission section
    2) Losses in combustion section.

these can be further subdivided and you have 2 rule out 1 by 1
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As discussed, mileage improved without fuel filter change.
  5. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    will the engine automatically turned off if sensor detects water in fuel? is it documented in the service manual to replace Fuel filter yearly? IMO it needs to be replaced yearly, especially if your car's got a lot of miles. The debris removed collect in the pores of the filter. Debris reduces the fuel that can flow. If the filter restricts too much fuel, the fuel pump cannot provide enough volume to the injectors. Lowered fuel volume will reduce power and may cause the engine to hesitate, misfire or stall.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 22, 2015 ---
    @Ganges: are you still on stock clutch after 1.47L on ODO? that's amazing. Looks like you have got perfect driving sense!
    this might help you identify a worn out clutch.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Diagnose-a-Slipping-Clutch-in-Your-Car
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  6. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @Ganges,

when I went for the service camp last month Fiat ASS Hyson-COCHIN was strongly recommending clutch replacement and they also informed me that it becomes harder in heat when travelling long distances .

I showed my car to a local workshop who is dealing with clutch overhaul and they intimated me that no need to change clutch as it is showing no symptoms for a change.

Does clutch needs replacement when it becomes harder in heat?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2015
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Deepak
    Nopes, if water is detected you will get an indication on MID.Then stop the car , remove the water manually from fuel filter.Yes, you are absolutely right about the performance drop if fuel filter is not changed .Last Saturday changed the Clutch Kit with bearing at 1.47lakh kms.

@bibin
    Never heard about clutch getting harder on long drives, my most of the drives are highway driving. I felt hard clutch and driven for 25K kms. Felt hard clutch when my ODO was 1.24Lakh. What's your ODO reading? You can manage with Hard clutch too.if you find severe stucking of gears while on drive then go for a change.
    Deepak likes this.
  8. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @Ganges

My odo is at 51k.

Thanks
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you do more highway driving then that should be fine. How is the gear shiftment ? I changed it bcoz I got started with leg pain, but the gear shiftment was good.
  10. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @Ganges

gear shifting is not as smooth as it was initially but not that hard and can live with it.