1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fuel filter - Is it necessary to change every 15000 kms?

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by chethansgangoor, May 14, 2013.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Sensor is to detect water in fuel. If it fails, chances of water to get into engine.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The sensor does not have a "life" span as such. It may keep working for lakhs of km as well. It's just a rudimentary sensor which gets tripped once the water in the diesel starts conducting, thereby sending a signal. There are 50 more complex sensors at other places in the engine.

It's just a good practice replacing it with the filter. Not a critical necessity.

The Palio D uses something similar and the same sensor has been working for 1lakh+ km's and still working.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Dipesh_enr

Dipesh_enr Amatore

Mumbai
    How do we know if the sensor is working or not? Even my SA did the same thing which happened to Rohit Anand. He told me the same old sensor can be used. I was in a hurry then so had to accept the same filter without sensor.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Does a clogged dirty filter leads to low mileage economy ?
  5. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Clogged dirty fuel filter might not lead to low mileage but will reduce your vehicle pick up to a great extent. Clogged air filter will definitely give a low mileage.If Fuel filter are clogged it will play havoc with life of your pump and injectors.
    Ganges likes this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Can understand with pump as command sent by ECU as per demand,but why on Injectors ?
  7. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ganges

Pump will not get damaged due to overpressure but due to the contaminants bypassing the fuel filter as clogging will lead to micro bursting of filter at some points. Pump is sufficiently rated to burst fuel filter paper catridge without damaging itself.contaminants will scratch the pumping close tolerance sections and will lead to loss in pressure.

If these contaminants reach your injector they will lead to clogging up the very fine holes there by overloading the spring mechanism of the injector and thus damaging them.

This problem is very common in TOYOTA which claims 1 lakh km life on Fuel filters
    pradeepsangwan and Ganges like this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @KKAUL

Ok,thats how the low fuel economy cant be expected from the clogged filter, rather one can feel more sluggishness and non-responsive feel of accelerator,right ?
  9. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ganges

Right You are. Practically a clogged filter and injector will return a more mileage than normal condition only problem will be engine will feel burdened and you won't be able to generate enough rpm even if you press the accelerator hard.
    Ganges likes this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank you @KKAUL
    So now i can rule out the low fuel economy due to fuel filter.
    May be i should go for a Clutch System Change on this weekend.