1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fuel Efficiency of Fiat cars in India!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by arishi, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Roy : the upsize I have done is the perfect upsize for the GP according to calc and fiat ie; 205/45/17.... So u think even after the perfect upsize there will b more speedo error as against the original 195/60/15
  2. royj

royj Esperto

This is some thing I had thought for long before selecting my Alloys. My belief is that the speedometer and odometer for Punto is calibrated with the Emotion Pack size i.e., 195/60 R15 as the base. A more likely size would be what the top end Punto wears in Europe.
    Now you need to realize one important point. This calibration does not mean that the speed and distance shown is absolutely correct. There is a rule in US and possibly Europe as well, (not sure about India) which states that: "The speed shown by the speed measuring device in a vehicle shall at no point be less than the actual speed of the vehicle." Now engineering a device to precise speed measurement is expensive, and the law allows the manufacturer to show a higher figure, so all OEM speedometers show positive errors to the tune of 5-10%. This 5% margin allows the manufacturer to ensure that all devices show the speed value above the actual speed of the vehicle at all times.
    I have noticed a clear 10% difference between my mobile phone GPS speedo and the car speedo right from 40kmph to 145kmph. Below 40kmph the 10% difference is too small to observe precisely.
    Coming back to the question raised, all the different sizes mentioned above can be considered to have negligible effect on the calibration of Speedo and Odo.

You are right. As can be seen from the image, the size difference between 195/60/15 & 205/45/17 is negligible. So the odometer error is NOT the factor reducing the fuel efficiency. Try keeping a close watch on the way you drive. I got a real revelation this week on my driving habits. Just by going really easy on the right foot, my top FE within city shot up from around 17kmpl to 21kmpl with AC and 19kmpl to 24kmpl without AC. (These are MID readings)
  3. Thanks Roy..

Will be upgrading to 17", 205/45/17 next month so its a relief that mileage wont be compromised upon. Some guy told me that there would be drastic drop in mileage if I upsized and so was a little worried as to whether I should go for upsizing or not.
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Do look at the weight of the alloys, too heavy an alloy won't be good for the ride or mileage and might put more weight on the already lower profile.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Romsi may I ask about the PCD of 17" alloys....did u finalised anything?

I am waiting for some fantastic mods to ur Punto...Do upload the pics.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  6. Thanks Jas.. Will find out all details by tomorrow..... :)

PCD is 100...

Fantastic mods.......... yup.... i know... Once I do, you will be the first to know bro......... ;)
  7. shams

shams Esperto

A short, leasurely, post dinner drive on the beautiful kanakapura road near bangalore:

2011-11-06 01.39.50.jpg

2011-11-06 01.39.35.jpg

Grande Punto 1.3
    MY Three month old PUNTO Active MJD Done with 6900 KM.
    Full Tank gave me 690 KM with 100 % A/C on .
    90 % in City and 10 % Highway. (i.e 15 KM/L).
  9. anicaution

anicaution Amatore

Last week had gone for Ashtvinayak Tour...pathetic roads...1100 Kms in 3 days....excellent fuel efficiency. 159.jpg 160.jpg 161.jpg
  10. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

I drove 236 KMS today, (Avg Speed 75, 3 People on board, ACC Set to 20, Highway driving, 16 KM City drive) At one point around 160KMS it hit 19.6 KMPL.

2011-11-17 13.33.48.jpg 2011-11-17 13.33.56.jpg

I feel like there is a need for wheel alignment, I have to visit good alignment shop this weekend