1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fuel Efficiency of Fiat cars in India!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by arishi, Jun 10, 2010.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12

:wow Narayan thats amazing......Chennai to Pandharpur. I borned in Pandharpur.. :lol
  2. anoop

anoop Superiore

That is very good average, @narayan :)
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Have noticed a very significant drop in average after upgrading to 17". City drive with a/c ON(fulltime) the cars returning 12-13 kmpl B to B traffic, and out on highway at a steady 80-85 kmph getting 19-20 kmpl(route delhi-chandigarh-sangrur-delhi). Considering that the car had been serviced for 35000km just before this trip, I feel the drop in mileage is very significant and strange. Considering when the same trips were made on 15"s the usual mileage used to be between 22-23( 100% a/c)
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Assuming there has been no negative change in the engine , the bigger wheels do drop efficiency. Many reasons:
    -more weight, unless you go the custom forged wheels route!
    -more contact area,if wider tires opted for
    -decrease in ''effective'' gear ratio. You'll find the car cruising at slightly lesser rpm's, but the trade off is that it'll reduce acceleration that bit and increase consumption a bit too. Since the engine works comparatively harder on smaller gear ratios. This effect will be most visible in city traffic and when overtaking.

My 2 cents

Cheers
  5. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks G for thought.The width remaining same (205), and even the alloys weighs 6.5kg a whole kg less than the earlier 15"s, still puzzled at what els could be wrong.
  6. gopscreative

gopscreative Amatore

Chicago
  7. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    2 and half month old baby done with 5900KM. On Highways its 18.0 - 19.0KM/L
    In City 14.0 -16.0 KM/L
    Does Fuel efficiency increases after second service.
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    You will also need to consider the odometer error. When the diameter of the wheel increases, lesser revolutions required to cover the same distance, however the odometer still measures using original diameter and there fore measures lesser distance as traveled. So your measured average drops. This along with what Gurjinder has mentioned can account for around 10-15% variation.
  9. Yesterday I travelled 20 kms of uninterrupted road, one way and I got an average of 23 kmpl with a full load and AC on.

But the same when in city driving comes down to 10.5 kmpl............. :(
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Let me put forth a question which has been haunting me for quiet some time. This is with respect to Punto.
    The current Punto's tire size for Active, Dynamic & Emotion is 165/80 R14 & for Emotion pack is 195/60 R15 & that for the earlier puntos where 175/70 R14. So based on this can someone tell me which is the most error free configuration ? The speedometer difference of these 3 is less than 1 % when keeping 165/80 R14 as base. Can it be considered negligible ?