1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fuel Efficiency of Fiat cars in India!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by arishi, Jun 10, 2010.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Re: What's your car's Fuel Efficiency

Guys, I feel the Punto depends massively on clean air for good FE. I realised it recently when I was suffering from poor FE when the figures came down to 12- 12.5 in combined cycle. I began suspecting the fuel quality in Chennai.
    Yesterday, I had an opportunity for a long drive abt 220 kms. I took out the stock filter and put in the K & N which was tapped clean and WOW, I got FE of upto 23.3 before it started to fall to 17.4 due to huge night time traffic while entering the city
    I guess the airfilters calibrated by FIAT is getting mor clogged in cities due to heavy pollution , something that may not have been factored in. If you see the dust in the air filter it is mostly black soot.

2. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

Very right Abdul... I get the filters cleaned every month from Wasan... It makes a lot of difference... Its funny to hear but very true...
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Another observation I have about FE in Punto is , all it needs is GOOD fuel and a clean airfilter. If these two are proper, then it all depends on traffic and driving style.
    The Punto FE doesnt respond to any other common mans special inputs like premium diesel, fully synthetic oil. engine additives....etc.
    Ofcourse massive tamperings like Pete, Kiirus and Remus could give some positive results, but in the hands of a stock user, it would be a waste of time.
    Has anybody tried Diesel at Reliance or Essar. Could they be any different to our state oil companies ??
    Strictly my observation over 24,000 kms of usage.

4. Re: What's your car's Fuel Efficiency

Latest update: Driven 2300 KM mostly on highways during last week and got 16-17 without AC and 14-15 with AC.
    Professional driver was only managed to get 13-14 without AC once during the run. Have driven car for over 6K KM in total so far. Not sure if it will still improve but seem to have stabilized.
  5. royj

royj Esperto

Those figures look reasonably good for a Punto 1.2. Was the car fully loaded?
  6. Re: What's your car's Fuel Efficiency

Yes most of the time there were 5 adults. And if not 5 then there would be extra luggage in the place. I give 0.5 to MID which had +0.5 figure and I had read somewhere that MID is not the perfect though I have not found any foul-play in MID.
  7. scud1980

Hi Guys

I have a Linea Petrol Emotion bought in July 2010. I have not been getting good milage right from the beginning. In city get around 8.5 max with A/C (temp 23 degrees). I told Bharti Motors during the first checkup last month and they said they have done some correction and should be better now. However, it seems to have not improved. I have read that many Linea Petrol owerns get an avg. of around 10.5 / 11 with A/C in city. Can someone please help?

8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3

Scud1980. Welcome to TFI and I hope you benefit from this forum.
    FE depends upon the driving style and habits. I'm not a petrol owner so I can't tell how to shift gears for optimum performance and better FE. 1.4 owner can give their views on it.

A good thing would be to drive with "Instantaneous Consumption(IC)" displaying on the MID. You will have an idea of better gear shifts and you will surely benefit from it.

But do keep your concentration on the road. In my case, I used to look at IC more than the road.
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I own Petrol Active and covered 16K now.

I travelled to my native near Moradabad. During first 60-65 kms , I was able to clock 21 km\l.

Than had a bad patch for next 30-35 kms where I hardly drove my car in 5th gear and mileage dipped to 20.1 km\l.

And then I covered 40-45 kms on excellent patch. I was able to climb back to 20.6 km\l in total.

My speed was limited to 85 km\h with A\C off and two adults, 1 kid and 2 bags.

I am sure I can get 21+ on a good road. Have a look in pic for details.

10. anrad73

anrad73 Amatore

Thane, India

I recollect when I first purchased the PUNTO Diesel, the Trip Computer used to show the following sequence :

1. Range , followed by
    2. Average Fuel Consumption, followed by
    3. Instantaneous Fuel Consumption and then followed by
    the respective readings for Trip A and Trip B.

Now since the last one week or so, while the Trip Computer shows the range, during the next press of the switch it goes directly to Trip A with all the parameters followed by Trip B and all its parameters. I do not understand where did the readings against 2 & 3 above disappear ?

Is there a serious problem somewhere?