1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fuel Efficiency of Fiat cars in India!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by arishi, Jun 10, 2010.

1. rajbajwa

rajbajwa

Mumbai
    Re: What's your car's Fuel Efficiency

My driving is only city driving for
    Linea - Petrol

Mileage
    As per MID: 10.4 Kms/l
    Manual calculation (Tankfull to Tankfull): 8.5 Kms/l

AC: 100% on.

I feel I have a light foot as that fastest that I have ever driven the car is 100 kms/hr (Very few instances). I keep an eye on the Tacho and try to drive around 1500 - 2000 RPM. I rarely cross 2500 RPM.

On the way to work in the mornings there's less traffic and I cover the distance of 15 kms in 20 - 25 mins. In the evenings I spend around 40 mins because of more traffic. On empty stretches of the highway in the city I go as fast as 80kms/hr.

I check tyre pressure on an average every fortnight. If driven for 15 kms before reaching the bunk, I maintain pressure of 34 PSI for all tyres.

The MID showed a reading of around 13.5 Kms/l for the first few tank fulls after I had bought the car in October 2009. Nothing in terms of driving habits has changed ever since but the mileage has dropped as per the MID to 10.4. I reset trip A when I refill fuel to a full tank.
  2. NAREN64

NAREN64

COIMBATORE

Next time during for the tankfull, switch on to the Instant FE in the MID, you will know where & when the FE is dropping. We think that by shifting gears up we can save fuel, but it might be the opposite. Unless you are in the right gears at right speeds(RPM) the FE might not be good.
  3. rajbajwa

rajbajwa

Mumbai

Thanks Naren. I'll try reviewing my driving habits because I can see that I am not getting the best fuel efficiency figures as many other Petrol linea owners are getting.

BTW. I change the gears mostly in the following manner

Gear 1. 0 - 10 Kms/hr
    Gear 2. 10 - 25 Kms/hr
    Gear 3. 25 - 35 Kms/hr
    Gear 4. 35 - 50 Kms/hr
    Gear 5. 50 Kms/hr onwards

I may upshift sooner if going downhill an incline and a stay in lower gears if driving up the slope. I don't step on the gas peddle if going down the slope. I try to save engine power by less braking (In case I have to stop at a red light which I can see around 200 metres in front I take off my foot of the acclerator and let the car roll on in the appropriate gear instead of going in high speed and applying brakes just before wanting to stop.

I mostly drive alone or at the most with one person in the front passenger seat. The boot is always empty and the rear seats in my car hardly get used.

I have been driving for the past 6 years in this manner. I'll follow your advise on using the Instant FE in the MID to change my gear shifting pattern.
  4. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune

Lat filling:

Run: 416 km
    Fuel: 23.15 ltr
    FE: 17.9 kmpl
    ACC: 100% AC @ 21C
    Highway/City: 80/20 % Approx
  5. aer_vip

aer_vip

Bangalore

Raj, try shifting gears as soon as possible. The pattern mentioned above would consume more petrol and Mumbai traffic, you would always be in 4th gear. By the time my vehicle touches 40, i am in 5th and that saves quite an amount of diesel for me..
  6. rajbajwa

rajbajwa

Mumbai

Thanks Aer_Vip. Well, I do upshift sooner when driving on a flat road. G1 - 0-10kmph, G2 - 10kmph, G3- 20kmph, G4 - 30Kmph, G5- 40Kmph. But I am a bit confused. I am getting feedback that upshifting sooner is not smart as at low rpms the vehicle doesn't catch up speed and you end up burning more fuel by flooding the engine but the appropriate gear is not engaged for the best load carrying torque and traction. one thing which I learnt late is that when cruising or rolling the car in speed it's better to have the car in the right gear instead of it being in neutral. As the ECU totally blocks fuel supply to the engine if we are in gear and don't accelerate at all. When idling in neutral the ECU allows some fuel to go to the engine to keep it from stalling.

I have been researching on the net on hypermilling techniques. However, I am just not able to hit the right spot on achieving the best mileage. Anyway, I'll continue enhancing my driving pattern. In the meanwhile I am happy with the car. When I look at it, I don't care about the mileage but just appreciate the beauty.
  7. kulsandy

kulsandy

Pune

Update about FE.
    1.2 Emotion - first 450 Km - it shows avg 7..is it because of early days. Driving condition early morning to office(7AM) and back @ around 5 PM.
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

Raj,

The culprit is the Mumbai traffic. Your driving style seems to be more or less ok as light footed.

Check the average speed whenever you check FE on MID. Most often I find in my car hovering around 15-16 kmph. Thats very less due to traffic. And at these speeds, your FE is bound to suffer.

Take her for a spin on highway :wink:
  9. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

Raj,

Driving with light foot does the magic trust me...

I normally get around 18-19kms/l during a full topup..
  10. eldrid

eldrid Amatore

London, United Kingdom
    London, United Kingdom
    Grande Punto 1.4

I have a 1.4 emotion pk it according to the MID i get around 14.2. But normally it ranges from 13.5-14.4.