1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fuel Efficiency of Fiat cars in India!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by arishi, Jun 10, 2010.

1. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I did a trip Karur-salem- Chennai-Salem-Karur and got the following figures with my Fiat Punto mjd 90hp. Passengers : 4 adults and my 6 year old daughter with good amount of luggage. 95% Highway, 75% AC on, Maintained speeds between 90 and 110 kph barring the usual heavy traffic between chengleput and Chennai (both during onward and during return). The 5% was within Chennai city in Bumper to Bumper traffic for ~25 Kms (A Test drive(!?) by my Brother-in-Law:D) and ~15 Kms in Karur city.
  2. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I did a trip Karur-salem- Chennai-Salem-Karur and got the following figures with my Fiat Punto mjd 90hp. Passengers : 4 adults and my 6 year old daughter with good amount of luggage. 95% Highway, 75% AC on, Maintained speeds between 90 and 110 kph barring the usual heavy traffic between chengleput and Chennai (both during onward and during return). The 5% was within Chennai city in Bumper to Bumper traffic for ~25 Kms (A Test drive(!?) by my Brother-in-Law:D) and ~15 Kms in Karur city.

The mileage indicated upon reaching Chennai was 25.1 km/L but, it got eroded with the test drive(!?) in traffic. I got nearly the same mileage upon calculating the tank full - tank full method also which returned 24.04 Km/L. On my earlier trip to Karur - Srivilliputhur - Tirunelveli - Karur also, my car returned mileage just over 24 Km/L (but I didn't clicked the pics:banghead:)
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Rama likes this.
  3. Esakki Sundar

Esakki Sundar Amatore

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have punto 1.3mjd, 2014 model. Within city i get 15-16. But on highways i always get 18-19 only at 90-100kmph with 4 adults AC on for most of the journey.
    My car has done 40K.
    Reading other Fiatians post they get above 22 on highways with the same speed im doing.
    What can i do to increase the mileage on highways?
  4. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Esakki Sundar the sweet spot for 1.3 Mjd 90hp engine is 2000-2500 rpm, where it produces maximum torque. If you'd drive more hitting this rpm range you can extract maximum mileage, provided if your car is well maintained.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    75 hp motor peaks @1750 rpm so the sweet range should be between 1750-2250. Try trial and error method during some trips to figure out.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    pevo_89 likes this.
  5. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @pevo_89 Don't worry about mileage till your Car runs in for 5-6k Kms and opens up nicely.
  6. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi, I hve a punto 90hp and have clocked 1.72 lacs kms. Currently i have changed my driving pattern and i try to remain within 2k rpm. My run is 60:40 higway and city ratio and i am getting an average of 14-15 and at higway during trips if driven with in 100kms i get around 16-17. This is with AC.
  7. pevo_89

pevo_89 Timido

Coimbatore
    Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Diesel punto
    Usage: 30% city and 70%highway - 18 to 19 kmpl. Just 800 kms on odo
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016, Original Post Date: Sep 29, 2016 ---
    So how about 75hp motor..do need to shift gear in that same rpm range? I'm still confused in this part and I'm a newbie too..some forums suggest to maintain less than 2000rpm...can you give me your suggestions pls?
  8. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
    2015 Linea mileage on highways 19-23 depending on driving style.
    City 16-18 depending on traffic. Drops to 14 on heavy traffic days. Clocked 23888km.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  9. Esakki Sundar

Esakki Sundar Amatore

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Pasupathy,
    Mine is 75bhp. Yeaterday i did a long drive for 500kms with 4 passenger and 100%AC. Maintained speed btwn 90-110. Got mileage around 18 only. I service at regular interval.
  10. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Esakki Sundar Well. I am not able to figure out this. I bought an used 90hp with 86600 kms on the odo. The initial fuel economy I got was a paltry 11-13 as against 15-17 stated by the seller. I did cleaning of EGR, intake Manifold, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, Oxygen sensor and catalytic converter. Also changed all fluids - Engine oil (Petronas Syntium 5w40 fully synthetic), gear box oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid and coolant too. Now, I get consistently good mileage and it never fell below 22 with driving 90% Highway and 10% in city. In my last trip to Coimbatore last Thursday where most part of the road is a two lane and sand lorries plying in large numbers, I got a fuel economy of 23.xx. May be - I am not sure - if my driving style makes a difference. I follow the pulse and cruise method. I floor the pedal almost in every gear to quickly reach a speed of 110, then ease the pedal just enough to maintain the speed. When the speed of the vehicle falls to 90 kph, I once again accelerate quickly to 110 and repeat the process. In two lane roads, I limit the top and bottom speeds by 20 kph (70-90) depending upon the traffic. You may give a try driving like this and observe the readings, of course with the usual care while driving.
    sk.kashyap.92 and naruf1 like this.