1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FTA Punto 90HP - 5000 km experience

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by L0dest0ne, Mar 15, 2012.

1. L0dest0ne

L0dest0ne Novizio

New Delhi
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hello friends :smile:.

Its been 5 months and more than 5000 kms since the FTA Punto 90HP joined the family. Thought I'd share the experience so far.

Overall: Its been a happy time. The car is a pleasure to drive, even to look at and the more time we spend with it, the more we think the right choice was made. My wife loves it, says its cosy and makes her feel safe. Need I say more ? :smile:

Odometer: nearly 5800 km (mix of highways, city and hill roads)

Top Speed: ~130 kmph (as per speedometer) on a stretch of straight, flat highway. Even at that speed, it felt like she could go much faster.

Mileage: On the highway, the mileage is now consistently above 19.5kmpl and about 15-16 kmpl in the city. One particular round trip from Delhi to Chandigarh gave me nearly 21 kmpl. My overall mileage, that is based on total fuel used till date and odometer reading, is an impressive 18.5 kmpl. No reason to be unhappy!:razz:

Things I love:
    • There simply is no other car in this class and cost bracket that rides, handles and moves as beautifully and stably as a Punto does. Too good!
    • The steering is not just precise, it is absolutely delicious.
    • Even long drives don't seem to make me feel tired.
    • The mileage.
    • Acceleration in the higher gears and at speeds is good. There is no need to shift down for overtaking. A definite like.
    • The solid body makes you feel really safe inside.
    • Behaviour on uneven roads and in the hills.
    • Confident, effective braking.
    Things I don't like:

• The ground clearance is a dampener. The nose (or the bottom of it) seems to scrape even slightly distorted humps. Like my wife says, everytime it does, "dil par lagta hai". Hoping to avail of the new kit to increase GC during my next service.
    • The A-pillar is rather thick and because of its placement, there is a sort of blindspot when you turn right. This is especially an issue on tight curves. However it is something one can get used to.
    • The Blue & Me doesnt let you play the music on your phone through bluetooth. It has also refused to pair with the message reader on my wife's Sony Experia. Worse still, the USB controls exist only on the steering! There should have been a switch for the passenger side as well.
    Irritant: The reverse gear is notchy.

Interiors & Plastics: Much has been said (nothing good) about the plastics and interior build quality of the Punto. In fact, even I was shocked at the plastics in the vehicle I had test driven. Things seem to have improved though in later lots. In my own car, the only problem thus far has been the plastic cladding on the C-pillar which came off. However, this could be just pushed back in to place. The plastic base sheet for the wipers also seem to have aged rapidly. Otherwise, things seem to be fine. So far, so good!:smile:

Service: I had my first free service done from M/s Autolinks, Vasant Kunj at around 3000 km. The experience was decent, response was prompt and cleaning was up to the mark. Hopefully status quo will be maintained!

Mishaps: Fortunately there has been only one major bang so far. I was enroute Bharatpur, when a Scorpio banged in to the Punto's backside near a rumble strip. The ensuing noise was alarming. The fog lamp was broken, the rear bumper was scratched in a couple of places and slightly misplaced. The Scorpio's fender was broken and the bumper dented :wink: The fog lamp was replaced, but I did not do anything about the bumper because it seemed minor. Other than this the car has several minor scratches all around it (most that I can't even explain!), a part and parcel of living in Delhi and parking on the roads :sad:

Niggles:
    • Of late, the power window on the drivers side is behaving rather erratically. Sometimes it works, sometimes doesnt. Earlier the problem was only on cold mornings with the thing working after a few minutes drive. However, now it has become more erratic (any reasons or solutions, friends?). Need to get it checked I guess.
    • Just after switching off, a mild shock has been felt on the door (both drivers side and rear LHS). Why is this happening? Hope it isn't serious.
    Queries:

• Should I wait for the entire 1 yr / 15000 km limit before I go in for my first major service?
    • How frequently should I go in for wheel balancing? Is that part of the service? Now that I am on it, what is the approx. life of these tyres?
    • There is a slight 'tak' noise occassionally when I brake and stop. Is it something that I need to get checked?
    • Anything else I should know?
    Here is a picture of Punto from Bhimtal.
    punto.jpg
    --
    Thanks & Regards,
    Sunil Rajagopal,

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Excellent report for a first service. Well, I can't really answer any of your questions as I just got my 90 HP home 5 days ago; but I am keen on reading others responses here.
    Is that the Foxtrot Azure? looks very elegant.
  3. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Excellent drive and nice report given for the Punto.
    Wheel Balancing can be done as per your taste, once you feel there is pulling to the side, you can go ahead for, it all depends on the roads you take her for a ride.
  4. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    hey lodestone, your car lovely looks beautiful!
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012