1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Front windscreen Crack. What could be cause and possible solution?

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by ops, Feb 16, 2013.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    They cannot charge you for a part replacement under warranty.
    Recently, when my Punto's clutch master cylinder failed, it was replaced under extended warranty and labor was not charged.
    2 people like this.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Absolutely correct. If a part fails during the warranty period and is being replaced under warranty FOC, labour cannot be charged.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Cracked windshield is no an emergency. Todays windshields are sandwich laminated and hence will not shatter to bits. It will hold on. I had a similar crack in my santro and it happened while I was in the car and I heard the click noise. These things just happen in any product and may not necessarily mean a manufacturing defect. It can be the heat and the variables inside the hot cabin. So, try for a warranty, Fiat in todays position may just accept it if you are lucky. The next option is to use the insurance.

Abdul
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Beg to disagree. It is true that the front windshields have been laminated -not just today's, but since the 1930s and are designed to crack into a spider web pattern, but still stay in place in case of impact.

A cracked windshield is an emergency, not because it is going to shatter into bits, but because the glass is weakened by the crack and is likely to crack into a spider web pattern unexpectedly and pretty much bring down your visiblity to almost zero. I would advise against taking that risk.

Rajan
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    While returning from Bangalore, a small stone hit the windscreen. Nothing was visible on checking the windscreen. After reaching Vijayawada, whilst filling fuel, the wind screen upon cleaning showed a crack and requires replacement. Any idea how much it would cost? Can this job be done at Visakhapatnam? Heard TASS is not entertaining fiat cars. Other option is to take it to Hyderabad. Advice please...
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

It would cost anywhere between 6.5k to 10k depending upon the place and brand of glass used.

You can try Windshield Experts. They do this day in and day out.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
  7. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    Thanks driver for the advice. Shall contact windshield experts as adviced. Contacted vizag tass who said they are not handling Fiat anymore.