1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Front windscreen Crack. What could be cause and possible solution?

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by ops, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ops

ops Amatore

Kathmandu
    Nepal
    Punto Abarth
    2013-02-12 16.39.39.jpg 2013-02-12 16.39.34.jpg

My linea's front windscreen cracked. Windscreen was ok in morning. I was pretty sure of it since i myself cleaned it before i drove. After reaching my office parking lot( open parking lot under the sun), there was a linear crack on windscreen at lower left corner when i came back in afternoon time. The crack was extended from bottom of the windscreen to about 1/3rd of its height. Edged was not felt when finger was rubbed against the crack. There was not a visible evidence of impact.
    What could be its cause?
    what do you suggest as possible solution?
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Ouch. Seems like a non-impact stress or expansion crack. Can't say for sure.

Replacement is the only solution mate.

Cheers.
  3. ops

ops Amatore

Kathmandu
    Nepal
    Punto Abarth
    thanks for your suggestion
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Since there is no point of impact, push for a replacment under warranty at your nearest TASS.

Sent from my Cynus T2 using Tapatalk 2
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    From your post, I gather that the crack increased as the day progressed. Given that there is no impact point, it is definitely a stress crack. Typically the crack starts out as a very small, almost unnoticeable spot on the glass and then increases slowly / rapidly, based on various factors. In this case, looks like it expanded due to temperature changes.

In any case, it is always due to a weak spot in the glass - a manufacturing defect. Please push for warranty replacement. If this defect is not covered under warranty, then I don't know what is. Please bear in mind, it is not very safe to drive the car with a cracked wind shield - a hard bump can shatter it. Get it replaced ASAP.

Rajan
  6. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Painful to find an unexplained damage from blue. In cases of extreme heat there cud be chance of a crack due to air expansion in the cabin. Rare but cant rule it out i think. Leaving a hairline gap in any of the window glass while closing cud help. Thats wat i heard. U Gotta change to a new one as of now i m afriaid.
  7. ops

ops Amatore

Kathmandu
    Nepal
    Punto Abarth

I am pushing hard for replacement under warranty. The situation is under consideration.

i guess i should leave tiny gap in a window from now on.
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ^^ I don't believe the cabin is air tight so this should not be a concern. For instance, even with the AC turned off, strong odors can be smelt inside the cabin while driving.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  9. ops

ops Amatore

Kathmandu
    Nepal
    Punto Abarth
    If they cover windscreen under warranty, is labour cost covered under warranty too? Can anybody clarify this? I am asking this as there service charge is more than >50% of cost of glass?
  10. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Push for the labour as well. From what I have been told, the manufacturer only provides the part warranty and the SC tries to charge the labour to the customer so they don't lose money. Negotiate hard and as a last resort offer to split the labour cost. You wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for the manufacturing defect.
    1 person likes this.