1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Front speakers upgrade???

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Makarand, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Makarand

Makarand Timido

Pune
    Hello Friends,

I am planning to upgrade speakers of my Punto. Audio quality was cheap with original speaker so I decided to install extra speakers on parcel tray, I was installed JBL's 400W in parcel tray one year back. its sound good but most of the time my family member are complaining about the volume because of unbalanced volume at rear seat. For that I have to Fodor the volume level so that rear side volume will me lower or balance, In that case audio quality is same as original speaker sound.

So finally I decidedto replace front speakers. I don't want to spend much amount to update the speakers, my requirement is very clear I wanted to install the front speakers which give me the same or equivalent sound quality as rear.

Going through the post and the forum discovers two options, 1) change the front speakers (which dose not make much difference according to the car accessory shopkeeper):( or 2) Install component speakers with two channel amplifier.

So I was confused with these two options. Please suggest what should I do?:?:

Thanks,
    -Makarand.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    I am not a audiophile but I found the speakers to be rubbish and have actually changed the front speakers. I have used Polk Audio components in front and they do a pretty good job.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Get the factory fitted speakers in front doors removed and buy 6.5 inch component speakers from JBL/Polk/RockFord Fosgate/Hertz. It would cost you Rs4500-5500 and the quality would be good. No need to install an amplifier also. Add amplifier later after experiencing the speakers alone, if required.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Makarand

Makarand Timido

Pune
    Thanks for the reply,

What size speakers can be fitted? are any speaker dimension of depth need to consider? or 6.5 has some the standard size and depth
  5. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well, any 6.5 inch speakers will fit nicely. Just make sure that you do not end up buying some high end speakers like the Infinity Kappa. They need amplifier to show their true potential.

I have JBL GTO608c in my front doors. Quality is great but only for volume upto 12-14. They are not meant to be used as a loud speaker for addressing the public without an amplifier.

Some good options are:
    1. Hertz DSK165
    2. Polk
    3. JBL GT5-S265c
    4. Rockford Fosgate.

Refer to the ICE considerations thread by Johnny for ready made knowledge.

One more thing, select a good installer or you will end up with rattles. Also, if possible, get both the front doors damped with good damping sheet. That will cost upto Rs3000 extra but then you will not hear rattles of the metal sheet of the door as a result of bass generated by the speakers.

EDIT- Also see what options various TFI members have gone for in THIS thread.

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/car-entertainment/2312-lets-count-ice-upgrades-options-used.html
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  6. omzworld

omzworld

If you want, please check out Morel Maximo for front compnent. Amazing stuff for 6.5K even without amp.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Hertz DCX165 or Hertz ECX165 better option for Punto ?
  8. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    VYa, buy anything that you are comfortable with. Just dont buy anything expensive and high end if not buying an amplifier.
  9. Makarand

Makarand Timido

Pune
    Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback..

Finally I made my choice here are the details

Front Speakers:Boston SXi606 – 6.5” component spkr
    Amplifier(Make/Model): Boston GTi270 – 2 channel amp (output only @ Front Speakers)

Overall budget: 12K

Above combination is perfect as per costing and quality..

It is truly amazing… Combination of amp and speakers (Boston SXi606) are perfect… Output was good so we need have to install converter…
    … I had tested the sound quality with different type of tracks

Visit D&M Premium Sound Solutions for more details about amp and spkr..

Those who are looking for gr8 sound quality within budget then its an good deal...
  10. Great Makrand
    Can you please give the breakup
    Does this 12k includes wiring, converter also?