1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Front brakes show noticeable amount of rusting

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Dhruv_Sappers, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Hi Team,

I have just purchased a new Punto 1.3 MJD. It has run only for 700 kms, however the front brakes show a noticeable amount of rust on it. Today in the morning the rust was seen on the discs as well. Is there a problem which needs to be addressed or is this normal.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Can you post some pictures please.
    It may not be any issue afterall, little rust or dust is part and parcel of brake discs.
  3. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Can you please post some picture ? Rust formed in Disk will go of as you start to brake more( only in the places where the brake pads mate)
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It will not hinder performance to begin with. Cleaning is temporary solution. And all discs get some amount of rust once in a while.
  5. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    If we remember the Avventura that was displayed in the Auto expo, also had a rushted front brake disc :) . Same is the case of my Linea also. I raised this issue on my first service and I was told that since it being a solid part there will not be any damages that can affect the braking of the car.
    My ODO stands at 24300 and at this point I dont see any reason to worry.

Mine is a July 2013 manufactured Linea 1.3 dynamic purchased from Ramkay Fiat on 10th Oct 2013.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Cast iron parts getting rust is normal. Nothing to worry.
    Please post pictures for better clarity of the issue.
  7. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Hi Team,

Thank you all for all your responses. I really feel valued in the amount of time the responses came in. I am will post the photos right away.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Nothing to worry about. They will rust on the non-contact areas. Enjoy the drive. :)

Cheers.
  9. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Here are the photos WP_20140806_001.jpg WP_20140806_002.jpg WP_20140806_003.jpg WP_20140806_004.jpg WP_20140806_005.jpg WP_20140806_006.jpg WP_20140806_007.jpg
  10. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    That is not an issue Buddy. Have peace of mind and enjoy the drive.