1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

From Honda to Fiat- EVOlution?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Yagnik, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Yagnik

Yagnik Timido

Punto Evo 1.3
    Hello All,

My name is Yagnik, an IT consultant from Bangalore. I have been using MS Ritz for the first 3 years and then purchased a pre-owned Honda Civic. Recently due to my change in work timings had to look at buying a diesel car as petrol was seemingly expensive. So straight away went into KHT Fiat Caffe, took test drives and now finally a proud owner of a Punto EVO Emotion Diesel, White color in December 2014. All of my friends and family were surprised about my decision as they were all telling me to choose Maruti or Hyundai.

My priorities were Ride quality and Safety and it should has be a hatchback, and Punto meets all my requirements. SAFE, STYLISH and VFM

Now the Experience with Fiat Punto Evo:
    Have driven the car for close to 3000 KMs in city, seemingly enjoyable and fun to drive with good power and torque spread(ownership review coming soon). Yesterday while on the way to office and back I got two error displays on the MID. Let me explain the scenarios below.

Scenario 1:
    Was waiting at traffic clogged signal near EMC2, KR Puram and the engine was on along with AC on(outside temp was 35' C), then suddenly, I get a "Low Fuel Warning" message on the MID(no low fuel warning light displayed) with half a tank of diesel left, switched off the engine and turned back again, the warning message vanished. Called up the dealership for advice and he mentioned that there could be dust accumulation in the fuel sensor or issue with the fuel pump(hope its not the latter).
    What could be the reason behind this? issue with fuel pump on a new car?

Scenario 2:
    While I was starting back from office late in the night, at a signal near Koramangala and just about to start the car(this time the AC was not on) i got another warning message saying
    "Insufficient Engine compression" on the MID with no engine check light warning displayed, and the car stalled. Immediately started the engine as I was blocking traffic and moved some distance and stopped the car for 10 mins. Called the RSA for help, explained him this issue and he promptly advised me with some initial diagnostics, all diagnostics passed, i turned on the engine, the car rode butter smooth after that and reached home.
    What could be the reason behind this?

Also this morning, i check the engine oil, it had turned black, did exhaust suit mix with the engine oil? Was this the reason with the engine compression issue? Experts please advice.

My general practice is after the engine is on, is idle for 30 secs for the turbo to start up and ride slow till the coolant level reaches its optimum temperature without being the turbo zone, and then normal drive using turbo. Same method used before the engine is turned off, wait for 30 sec for the turbo speed to come down. Now with all these best practices, why am I getting such errors?

I plan to take the car to the service center. Experts please advice on what to do and how to deal with this scenario. Hoping this gets sorted out soon.

Many Regards
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Raj_pol likes this.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Welcome to the forum. You have surely evolved after buying the Fiat Punto Evo. I would suggest to start an ownership thread with lots of pics of the Evo. You can post your queries in your ownership thread as this is an introduction thread.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

@Yagnik, welcome. Two error messages came on and went away. Dont do anything yet. Wait for it to happen again. Sometimes it will just go away and wont come back at all:)

Iyu and prabhjot like this.
  4. Yagnik

Yagnik Timido

Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks @ghodlur and @jumu, shall update about these error messages in the ownership review(coming soon). Funny that KHT Fiat service quoted me that this is the first time they have come across such an error!
  5. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Congratulations on becoming a proud owner of the country's best looking hatch; and welcome to the club.
    Do start an ownership report with lots of pictures of your beauty :)

Wishing you many happy miles. Ride safe.

As already mentioned by @jumu , these issues might not surface again!

prabhjot likes this.
  6. aramico

aramico Amatore

KA 51 / KA 31
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Yagnik, congrats on your new ride. the best hatch available today in India. enjoy your ride & Welcome to the club.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    congrats @Yagnik i am Surprised too never heard about such problem. Hope that FASS will manage to find the solution for it and only one thing that i would say here i.e. trust FIAT!!! their warranty is unmatched. next time make sure that you capture such messages on camera that might help. All the best have a great time with the beauty.
  8. Yagnik, the issues you are pointing to are likely due to fuel pump. Fuel leaning can cause low compression and the same is shown in MID.
    The low fuel warning is yet another symptom of pump issues given that you still had half a tank of diesel.
    Iyu and sine04 like this.
  9. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Welcome to TFi family.
    It's a diesel engine so the oil should be black but not thick black. Check for oil levels too. That should not be lesser than expected. As your car has run 3k KMs you can check the oil levels during 5k KM service.
    I don't think so the compression error is due to black engine oil.
  10. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    Congrats and pics please for the same.