1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

"From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal" - Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Rituraj, May 2, 2012.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Why PM. Post here, so more members can benefit. I am quite skeptical about this though. I would really like to see this guy issuing a properly signed and authenticated approval certificate from RTO, clearly stating that this is not in violation of the law. I doubt if this can be done, as it is in violation of law. In letter and spirit of the rule, application of anything - film, paint, newspaper, spray, curtains, etc. are in violation. The only thing permitted by law in tinted (as in pigmented) glass, fitted to the automobile by the manufacturer at the time of assembly of the automobile.

Sadly, there is no effort being made to amend the law. Only ways and means to cirumvent it. :A

Rajan
  2. Mr.Sailesh
    Prakash glass house
    040-27721385

The shop is on the right side of paradise hotel, secunderabad!!
    People from hyderabad might be able to recognise it! ;)
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

@srikaratluri : Thanks
    It is disgusting that we need to stoop so low just to protect ourselves from UV rays and the heat.

EDIT: Speaking in absolute terms, I do not think curtains can be deemed illegal just because of VLT being reduced to zero, since they are not pasted / used upon the glass, just draped from the door frames, unless clarified by court (as being illegal).
    99% chances are that the court would say they are illegal, but until someone happens to file another damn PIL ( in this case a Public Impediment Litigation ) in absolute terms using curtains could be fine. However, local law enforcement may differ on the matter.

Regarding your response to my previous post(s) - I'd done the tests at night (2200 hrs) in the open - and got the VLT to be ~88% in all cases.
    So strictly speaking 50% + VLT sunfilms would be perfectly legal as I'd said earlier. (As per the MVA)
    Even if your contention of minimum VLT of glass being 70% is true, it is extremely unfair that even fully transparent films (CR90 for instance) are liable to be challaned.

Please let me know if you still disagree - I could have gone wrong somewhere.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    OT - My uncle recently got sun films removed from his Etios. I was amazed to see the quality of factory tinted glasses. They are 95% close to what they were after films (he had put Garware earlier).

Coincidentally, there was a Linea without films standing close by and I checked it out thoroughly. I found the glasses to be squeaky transparent - as if there is no factory tint. Does anybody have numbers for tint % in Linea?
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    No. But, you can see the printed text "Minimum VLT of 70%" on the glasses.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I simply cannot understand why people everywhere seem to presume that I am in favour of the ban and am supporting the SC ruling. What many do not know is that I was one of the few that contributed a lot of information for filing a counter against the original ruling. Once and for all, here is my take:

1. The correct thing and the right thing need not necessarily be the same.
    2. Sun control films never encouraged crimes. Criminals commit crimes, no matter what. Removal will not deter criminals.
    3. The SC ruling was just an interpretation of law, which has been done before too. All the publicity in this case was due to the enforcement.
    4. I personally do not agree with this out-dated law. I just follow it. I am just doing the legally correct thing.

@Arkin - Could you please tell us how you measured the VLT? Do you have any instrument to do the same? Just curious.

Rajan
  7. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

Rajan, you seem to be taking my posts in the wrong spirit -
    If your first statement was directed at me, I've read from your post(s) on forums that you're not against the ban. I would like to know what your arguments are, since you seem to have done some homework regarding the issue, in order to get rid of any misconceptions/misinterpretations I may have (biased as I am against the ban), since I like to have a clear take on any issue that bothers me. Besides, I could avoid making blunders in debates, presentations & research papers at law school. I have put forward what I think is correct - if you think it is not, do me a favor and correct me.

3) I DO NOT see how it is an interpretation of the law - I may have missed something you've stated somewhere - I would appreciate it if you could reiterate as to which section/clause of the MVA, or whatever, would make a 86% transparent film on a 89% VLT glass illegal.

Measuring VLT is very simple, and requires no special instrument. More on this later.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I kind of agree with this. I posted some legal experts opinion on SC's verdict long back. It is a good read - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/non-fiat-...will-illegal-supreme-court-55.html#post140272
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ That links back to the first post on this page, which happens to be mine. I am no legal expert and am sure you did not mean my post.

I guess you meant this.

@Arkin - In a lighter note - You will make a great lawyer. I asked you one simple question and you kinda evaded answering that :D

Rajan
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I think we should remove glasses from windows and the windshields as well. Infact we should all drive open top cars.

It will end all crime.
    2 people like this.