1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

"From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal" - Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Rituraj, May 2, 2012.

1. mayank

mayank Amatore

Supreme court bans Sun Films!!!!!!!!!!!

The new Supreme Court ruling put a blanket ban on usage of tints or any visual light transmission (VLT) accessory that would reduce occupant visibility from outside. Ruling on a PIL filed by one Avishek Goenka against illegal activities involving cars, the supreme court said that any such accessory except the OEM tints, is against provisions of the CMVR (Central Motor Vehicles Act).
    Motorists driving with window tints shall be fined Rs 500, and the constable/officer has the right to remove tints on the spot. The car can be impounded if the owner objects - a dangerous power that is being handed over to the police, who will not have any sympathies for cars with rear defoggers whose wiring is likely to get damaged if the sun film is removed improperly.
    Even if the films on the car were legal earlier, they are illegal now.
    Manufacturers like 3M, Vkool, Garware have deemed the ruling unfair. The people say that rather than passing such orders, the court should direct the law enforcement agencies to get their act together. This ruling could also indirectly oppose the Environment Ministry ruling for fuel efficiency standards. No window tint means the air conditioner has to work overtime, increasing emissions and decreasing fuel efficiency. One enterprising person in the CarWale office even suggested we go to the local RTO to ask for a refund of the money spent for the sun film since it was installed with the body's approval.
    We expect the ruling to be reviewed in the near future, since the people that need to use the darkest window tints are the people who need privacy and/or security, like people in high office or film stars. You'll notice, no doubt, that these are influential people who will also be just as dismayed by the ruling as the ordinary Joe.
    Until then, good luck to the everyday commuters - it is the peak of summer, after all..!!
    Source:- carwale.com
    How severe is it gonna affect our commuting life?? and shall SC needs to reconsider this ruling or not???:ban:firey:sadblue
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Today I went outside and saw lot of cars with dark tint.
  3. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    same here.......didnt saw a single cop on the streets removing tints.....i am confused.....what to do...will wait for some days...
  4. mayank

mayank Amatore

but here in chandigarh they have already challaned 300 vehicles on first day according to what i read in the newspaper!! seems like this rule has been more prevalent in delhi and chandigarh than other parts!!
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    it will take some time for the ruling to come down south :D
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  6. In delhi around 4500+ challans were issued on friday itself. I went to office fearing my tints would be removed by cops , but I was lucky enough not to get caught. But on the way to office I saw heap of tints ( plastic) lying on road causing major pollution hazzard and SC is so ignorant about other problems due to this dumb law.

I won't be removing my tints from my punto as I could not imagine how she would look :sadblue

Cheers!!
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    No. I am thinking the other way. It will take some time for the cops up north to decide not to enforce this :D.
    1 person likes this.
  8. mayank

mayank Amatore

9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    According to the order this is allowed. It is not black , it doesn't have any extra films in it. In many parts of country the peak summer one can make a half cooked omelet using the sun heat.

The court order is a sieve with plenty of loop holes. It is a shame to indian judiciary.
    In a country with such a huge population court should have at least had an open eye before arriving at those ridiculous judgements.

Was there any debate on this issue in any channel? I didn't see other than report.?
    I think we should write to Anna Hazare. This court order is enough, as a proof, for the validity of his demands.
  10. This is what my MID showed as outside temp . Believe me .. this will be increased by atleast 3 -4 degree in coming days here in chennai .. That too after installing CR70 and CS 35 .Cant imagine what can be the temp if there were no SunFilms installed ..

2012-05-04 12.20.08.jpg

Does these judges really expect us toget baked ??

Ajit