1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

"From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal" - Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Rituraj, May 2, 2012.

1. sandy.chegi

sandy.chegi Novizio

Bangalore
    When I read the judgement, even I thought it can be done, that is 70% visibility film for windshield and 50% visibility film for door screens. However, I read it carefully when I had a debate with one of my colleagues and that's when I realized, as long as the film comes with manufacturer, that's OEM, then 70% and 50% thing applies. Otherwise, its a no-no to do it after market.

Still I got the films added to my car which are almost transparent ones (local made though). Hopefully the ignore attitude of B'lore cops stay it that way. Touch wood. :)
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    We Indians are blessed with more Melanin content in our skin that helps protect us from skin problems due to exposure to sunlight. Having said that, I think the contention that crimes happen behind the darkness of the film is a lamer reason to ban them, than adding skin issues in the counter.

Rajan
  3. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Totally agree Rajan sir, the crime behind dark films is a lame excuse to pass such a law. I really fail to understand that this law will prevent the crime that is/was happening !!:mad:
  4. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Hyderabad.
    The glass that comes from the manufacturer is tinted. Manufacturer will never apply any sort of sun film for door screens.

Below is what Ramjin posted and it stands TRUE.

All that I can say is Good luck buddy. You are the winner as long as the cops don't catch you. ;-)

On a personal note, I believe that this whole ban on sun films has created double whammy for all of us. It just makes no sense to me at all. Period.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    When one reads the relevant Central Motor Vehicles Rules, it is evident that the VLT % specified is for the vehicle manufacturers. Also, what is specified is the minimum percentage and the manufacturer is at liberty to use glass with a higher VLT % than the specified minimum. Therefore, we see side glasses with 70% transparency minimum, as against the specified 50 %.

Thus, the rule in reality does not provide for alteration of the VLT % by applying film post manufacture. However, the one question that I have been raising time and again and even had included in the counter, which was conveniently side-lined and never addressed is this - " What in the name of the good Lord is RTO approved film?". People have paid good money to put films that came with a RTO approval certificate. How can the RTO approve a film, that is in violation of the very rules that they are supposed to be enforcing?

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The CMV rules are in essence meant for Automotive manufacturers when designing vehicles and for the RTO when registering the same. The end users are not meant to be the target audience. There in no way any manufacturer can manufacture a vehicle that does not adhere to the CMV rules and then release it in the market.

However, the rules also expressly prohibit the end users from altering the characteristics of the automobile in such a way, that it will render the vehicle in violation of the rules laid down. It is the responsibility of the RTO to ensure that the vehicle complies with the rules as stated in CMV rules, which is the reason one has to get any modifications endorsed in the RC book by RTO.

Rajan
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Right. Any changes needs to be endorsed. But, as long as the VLT is maintained, there is no question of any violation as per the rules. That is what is claimed by few experts. And that is the reason why they believe SC had indeed Err'ed. And I too believe this. :)
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Agreed. While I do not agree with the ruling, I have to follow it, nevertheless. The popular misconception is that the SC made a rule. The SC does not have powers to make laws. They merely interpret the law.

Quoted in the previous post is the relevant CMV rule 100(2). The problem is, the car manufacturer has already provided glass which is compliant with these specifications. The SC interpreted the text "Shall be maintained in such a condition" as "No modifications". Also, this is not the first time that courts have ruled this way. They have ruled that any kind of film is not permissible in multiple instances from 2007 onwards.

Ideally, the RTO / police must be provided with VLT meters, so they can actually check the VLT and penalize only those that are not compliant. Unfortunately, we do not have enough funds left after the take home (pun intended) portion of our politicians. So, we take the easy way out - ban all films. :A :A

Rajan
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    It's not a lame excuse.

I have Rosacea and my doctor has clearly asked me to avoid sun exposure as much as possible. In fact, she asked me to wear a cap when going out in the sun. Luckily, I don't have a outdoor job. I also have to use medicated sun screen to keep it under check. There is no cure for this skin problem

More info here.

Skin cancer is also caused due to exposure to UV rays of the sun. With depleting ozone layer, human beings are more then ever at risk of skin problems due to the sun.

In my opinion, not considering this aspect clearly shows how ignorant the SC judges are.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    2 people like this.