1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

"From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal" - Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Rituraj, May 2, 2012.

1. royj

royj Esperto

Please don't keep it a secret. Share the gyan, please...
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    It is no secret, Roy. :D

Just use mild detergent or hair shampoo and wipe it with soft cloth, 3M Holograms gone.
    2 people like this.
  3. Oh! never knew this ramjn. Will try it sometime ;)
  4. Srini

Srini Regolare

I have not removed and some how escaped from the (have paid an overall fine of 300 Rs. till date) cops. I have one question - the rule does not allow anything to be stuck in the car glass. How come, the COPS are allowing the advertisements in all the Call taxis? They advertise their numbers boldly in the rear glass? Also, they should remove all the wordings pasted by people? Why are they not stopping / cleaning them? Why sun films alone?
    1 person likes this.
  5. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Dare ask this to Police when stopped :p

Once a cop fined me for parking my bike in no parking. I argued with him that there is no 'No Parking' sign near by. And what next? He added an obstruction case along with No parking case :D

If you ask them about call Taxis displaying bold numbers, they will say "Put your number on your car and we won't stop you " :p
    1 person likes this.
  6. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    Come on Srini. Who cares about the law and rules in this country? Every policeman will have his own law when he gets someone.
  7. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    Interesting Read - Did the verdict err on the ban?

The former Advocate General B.V. Acharya points out that the rule clearly states that glasses should not have a VLT less than 70 per cent on the front and the rear windscreen and not less than 50 per cent on the side windows.

“However, the rule does not forbid the manufacture or use of glass with a higher VLT than the minimum prescribed, nor does the rule forbid altering the VLT level using films on the windscreens and side windows, so long as it is not reduced below the minimum level prescribed.

Hence, the rule gives absolute right to the user/owner of the vehicle to choose or alter percentage of VLT within the permitted range or limit and not to the manufacturer,” says Mr. Acharya.

‘Where is expertise?'

“If the government comes out with a wrong piece of legislation, people can approach courts for immediate remedy. But what will be the impact on the people if courts go wrong on matters having direct impact on citizens? Judges are not experts in all fields.

Hence, the courts, particularly the Supreme Court, will have to exercise self-restraint when it deals with issues that are in the domain of legislation on which it does not have any expertise and control,” he added.

Uday Holla, another former Advocate General, said the Supreme Court should have referred the issue to an experts' panel first.

Complete News - The Hindu : Cities / Bangalore : Did verdict err on banning sun films?

So, what does the Rule 100 of the "Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989" Say?

100. Safety glass.—

(1) The glass of windscreens and the windows of every motor vehicle [other than agricultural tractors] shall be of safety glass: Provided that in the case of three-wheelers and vehicles with hood and side covers, the windows may be of [acrylic or plastic transparent sheet.]
    Explanation.—For the purpose of this rule,—
    (i) "safety glass" means glass [conforming to the specifications of the Bureau of Indian Standards or any International Standards and so manufactured or treated that if fractured, it does not fly or break into fragments capable of causing severe cuts;
    (ii) any windscreen or window at the front of the vehicle, the inner surface of which is at an angle
    [more than thirty degrees] to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle shall be deemed to face to the front.

(2) The glass of the windscreen and rear window of every motor vehicle shall be such and shall be maintained in such a condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 70%. The glasses used for side windows are such and shall be maintained in such condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 50%, and shall conform to Indian Standards [IS: 2553— Part 2—1992];

(3) The glass of the front windscreen of every motor vehicle [other than twowheelers and agricultural tractors] manufactured after three years from the coming into force of the Central Motor Vehicles Amendment) Rules, 1993 shall be made of laminated safety glass: [Provided that on and from three months after the commencement of the Central Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Rules, 1999, the glass of the front windscreen of everymotor vehicle other than two-wheelers and agricultural tractors shall be made of laminated safety glass conforming to the Indian Standards IS: 2553—Part 2—1992.] Explanation.—For the purpose of these sub-rules "laminated safety glass" shall mean two or more pieces of glass held together by an intervening layer or layers of plastic materials. The laminated safety glass will crack and break under sufficient impact, but the pieces of the glass tend to adhere to the plastic material and do not fly, and if a hole is produced, the edges would be less jagged than they would be in the case of an ordinary glass. (3-A) The glass of the front windscreen of a construction equipment vehicle manufactured after 3 years from the date of commencement of the Central Motor Vehicles (Sixth Amendment) Rules, 2000 shall be made of laminated safety glass.

(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in this rule if the Central Government is of the opinion that it is necessary and expedient to do so in public interest, it may, by order published in the Official Gazette, exempt 198[any motor vehicle including construction equipment vehicle] for use by any person, from the provisions of this rule.

The rule clearly seems to be a specification to be followed for the manufacturers not the car owners. There is no mention of usage of tints anywhere in the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
    4 people like this.
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I was fined for sun films on Friday in Powai, Mumbai. I was driving my City. I immediately told the cop that I knew about the ruling and that I will get them removed soon. I was fined Rs.100 and allowed to go. Of course, I lied. :)
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Finally I got my first ticket for having tint on the front windshield.
    Will wait for another fine before removing it sadly !! :(
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Front windshield? How did the police find out? Did they physically inspect?