1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

"From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal" - Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Rituraj, May 2, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    A child who couldn't act by himself is forced to sit with 100% exposure to UV radiation. It is cruel and inhuman. Is he responsible for terrorist attack. Is he violating any traffic rules. Why does he suffer because of our law keepers inefficiency?
    3 people like this.
  2. This is fine actually levied for the tax evasion. In TN the road tax is over 10 % of vehicles ex showroom value, whereas in Pondy its just flat 15 K for vehicles below 20 L and 55 K above 20 L. So folks file an affidavit in Pondy and get their vehicle registered and use it in Chennai. This is a gross tax loss to TN govt r any state govt for that matter, hence all PY vehicles are checked and fined, if they are found used in Chennai. You could see dozens of AUDI, BMW, and expensive vehicles running in Pondy registration. Sorry for going OT , jus want to share my thoughts on this issue.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Bala,

I agree with you 100%. Ive never installed sun tints in any of my cars. When I bought a used Santro in 2000, it came with sun tints and i had it removed after I nearly collided with a scooter while reversing at night. I welcome the supreme court ruling. Proper vision thru the vehicle in front is a traffic necessity more than anything else. A little bit of sunlight is good source of Vitamin D which we are all terribly lacking nowadays with most of us working n controlled atmosphere in our offices and hardly seeing the light of day. That was just on a lighter vein :p:p

Why do we need soooo much of Privacy ?? :)) Reciprocal sight seeing is more worthwhile :p

Abdul
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Abdul Ji, you should read my earlier post if not read already.

I am not favoring installation of dark tints in cars, instead what I am wishing is the heat control and UV control to some extent. As I told earlier, what is harm in having a film which is almost clear without any tints or very light tints? There is huge difference between sun control films and dark tinted films. Many in India got only the dark tinted films without knowing any difference and the benefits of Sun control film.

I would still say that banning all sorts of films altogether is ridiculous ruling.

On a lighter note, why would a terrorist always hide in a car? he could even be riding a bike with helmets. Should SC also ban helmets then? :D
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Ramesh

Sorry, In my post I only meant the dark tints. Clear tints shouldnt be restricted. I agree, but honestly what percentage are using these tints only for UV / sun protection. A vast majority will be using it for privacy though a nod may not come by easily

Abdul
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Abdul,you gave me a nice idea of reciprocal sight seeing!!! and now I got the answer for the ever nagging question of why guys use as much cosmetics as ladies do(sometimes even the same fair and lovely!),why guys wear even more expensive clothes and why guys pay Rs.800 for a simple hair cut!!!,hmmm,reciprocal sight seeing!!!!.But,rightly as you have mentioned,people should be happier to be able to source even more Vitamin D,that too,free of cost!!!
    For people,who want to escape the heat,why curse the govt,sun curtains(like the ones at the rear seat of Superb and Fluence)are available for Rs,3,000 and it can always be installed.No ban here
    Ramjn,leave alone terrorists,aren't you reading news of kidnapping for ransom,every alternative week??,won't that become difficult now and also the rampant flesh bussines inside cars????
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Like Bala and jumu, both of whom I tend to agree, I never got sun films installed in anyof my cars till date. Never felt a dire need. I've this habit of seeing through corner of my eyeseyes for any movement on both the sides. At about sunset i. e. about 6 to 7 pm, I usually found that, the visibility through sun films is hampered. And just to update, I've extremely sharp vision. Never yet have any specs which are

Yeah. Sun films help a bit in cooling the cabin faster. But still it never is a necessity. It's a luxury. And for a luxury, you don't question SC. Am not saying if SC verdict is right or wrong.My hired Innova's tints were quite lighter. He was charged Rs. 1000 but still got away. In that stretch I saw many cars with very very dark tints. I expected cops to remove tints of those cars and our Innova. They didn't. If there is subjectivity, people will find ways to circumvent the rules. Even in case of much simplicity without any subjectivity, still implementation is an issue.
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Actually, without the sun tints , if your aircon is good, the temperature is just ideal with the right difference between the outside temp and the cabin temp. A very chilling ac is actually sickening over a longer run. I tend to roll down the window every now and then to neutralize and freshen up. To believe the dark sun tints are fixed to reduce heat is all bull, if one knows that anything dark will absorb heat. Dark sun tints only cut out the light but increase the heat inside the cabin. It is a inexpensive private room for romancing.
    If one is behind a car with dark tints and if that car gets light in from oncoming traffic then you can see the opaque movements inside the car with the tints which the occupants are ignorant of.

If one is at a signal and the car behind you with tints is feeling safe for action, you can watch it thru your rear view mirror more clearly by touching your brake pedal which will enhance the lighting on the subject. Bala, are you getting the tips better now??:D

So those who have tints beware and those who are clear of tints enjoy ( both are very subjective and general advises and not meant to offend anyone ). These are just an exposure of the reality and what one would normally not accept/ deny but remain in the grey domain. Since the topic opened up. I thought why not spill them.:D

Abdul
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    well, the whole discussion is taking a different dimension now :).

If someone needs privacy and if that is achieved through sunfilm, well, I don't have a issue at all. I respect the individual privacy. From what I am expecting from the sunfilm is the heat and UV control. I also strongly believe that through this and usage of automatic climate control, the fuel efficiency should actually increase in the car as well. If someone feels that there is issue with tints and affects the visibility during night, well, again this is absolutely the individual's choice of having the film or not. For me, I don't have any issue with regard to the visibility. I am driving with tints under various conditions for the last 6 years and 90,000 kms. I don't have a problem at all. For me, the oncoming vehicle with high beam is what is affecting me a lot.

If I don't like and use something, I don't expect that to be banned without any genuine reasons. This applies for the sunfilm as well.
  10. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I removed the tints a few days back. As i had some cheap films (free from the dealer) , visibility was hampered very much during night drives. It went bad to awful during the rains.

Now, after removing the films, i am having issues with idiots who drive with their high beam on. There is too much light in the cabin when some one with their high beam on tails you.