1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

"From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal" - Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Rituraj, May 2, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys I have a concern here...
    Point 1 ::
    Should all tints that are dark (a.k.a black tints) be removed even if it is 70/50 ?

Point 2 ::
    Then if i want tints should i go in for other colored films within the permissible limit (70/50)?
    I'm planning on going to the police station tomorrow itself to get these things clarified.
    Please advice
    1 person likes this.
  2. Black films removal aggravate skin allergies - Times Of India , think before rush to remove the films.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

As per SC judgement no film is allowed on your own car!!
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Then I'm confused..
    What needs to be done now? :(
    No clear answer....?

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

I'll probably get a curtain fixed , it might look sad but that's the way it is . What can be done? ;-)
  4. Source Blanket ban of Sun-films – Flaws in the premise of petition « Musings
    Blanket ban of Sun-films – Flaws in the premise of petition

May 8, 2012 by Stier

Recently our Honorable Supreme Court issued a blanket ban on any sunfilms on the cars, even if it is within the legal limits permitted. This was based on a PIL filed by one Mr Avishek Goenka, based on the premise that cars with such films are used by the criminals for moving around and illegal activities and also in rape and crime against women. Interestingly, tinted glasses are allowed, but we are not allowed to add sunfilms on normal glass.

When myself and some of the people on social media tried to put across our point on the facebook page of Mr Goenka’s NGO – “ Save Aam Admi” and point out our concerns and how his premise was wrong, the whole page was removed.

Today, Mr Goenka, has sent posts to many Traffic Police page, trying to answer some of our concerns.

His post and my reply pointing out the flaws in it follows

RESPECTED SIRS,

THIS IS TO DRAW YOUR VALUABLE ATTENTION, TOWARDS THE UNFOUNDED FEARS AMONG SOME OF CAR OWNERS, REGARDING THE VEHICLE BEING HEATED DUE TO ABSENCE OF BLACK FILMS AND OTHER APPREHENSIONS TOO AND HENCE I AM EXTENDING SOME NOTEWORTHY POINTS WHICH CAN EFFECTIVELY COUNTER THE APPREHENSIONS BEING EXPRESSED AGAINST THE MOVE TO BAN BLACK FILMS ON VEHICLE GLASSES AND THE SAME CAN BE SHARED IN THE FACEBOOK PAGES OF THE RESPECTIVE POLICE AUTHORITIES !!

*****BLACK FILM BAN – CLARIFICATIONS (PLEASE SHARE TO EDUCATE OTHERS) !!
    1)) BLACK FILMS CONTRIBUTE TO COOLING OF VEHICLES – but firstly only those who use air conditioning, do pull up the glasses & air conditioning provides cooling any ways & further if cooling was an issue, then only silver & white cars would have sold, since they not only absorb the least heat and also increase night visibility of vehicles, hence making them least prone to accidents !! Further black films on glasses have been banned, but coloured glasses complying to (70%) front & (50%) side visibility are allowed.

So what you are saying is that it is ok to have colored glasses, but not colored films even if it confirms to the norm. His petition was based on the premise that it is dangerous to have color films, as police cannot make out what is happening in the car. So, how is it possible for people to make out what is happening in the car with colored glasses and not colored films which confirm to the norms of visibility?

2)) PRIVACY IS HAMPERED – privacy is about private places like homes & hotels, but not public places like roads.

I believe you are misunderstanding privacy here. We are not talking about the privacy factor which the young people in love desire, but the privacy on a whole. So, if the passengers in the car want to have some food, now it is possible to have it inside the car, with no one noticing it unless or until they really stare in. With no sun film, u will have people staring at what you eat. If you are travelling wearing jewellery, earlier it was not obvious, now a look and it is visible

3)) LAP TOPS & STEREO SYSTEMS ARE VISIBLE – both are portable devices & either can be carried at ease, to home or office or hidden beneath the car seats. It will also prevent the thief from opening the car out of curiosity as happens in case of heavy tinted glasses.

So u mean to say, I stop a car for some time to go to a shop or office for half an hour and you want me to carry music system with me? If i forget it, it is ok to lose it? And What is it about preventing the thief from opening car out of curiosity? You want us to help them making sure everything is out in open and save them the trouble of opening a car out of curiosity and not finding anything?

4)) WOMEN ARE UNSAFE WHILE DRIVING AT NIGHT – safety in public places is hampered because of factors which prevent public glare & not because of factors which ensure transparency. Only when there is absence of public glare – mobile phone conversation//drinking//immoral activity//movement of criminals//movement of illegal material//rape//molestation//k
    idnapping – is facilitated. Any illegal activity happening in presence of transparency, is an exception hence not universally followed.
    Measures are adopted keeping the universal norms in mind & not exceptions. Just because (1) person survived a free fall from a high rise, others too do not make a bee line.

You mention ” Measures are adopted keeping universal norm and not exceptions”. Can you please mention where is it universal norm to that all the activities like rape, molestation, kidnapping happens in cars with sunfilms? Wouldn’t these fall into the category of exception?

5)) CAR DECOR SHOPS WILL FACE DROP IN PROFITS – business will flow from selling coloured glasses instead of black films ..

Again having colored glasses is ok right? And u believe that the criminals are like us, middle class people, to not have money to go for colored glasses and carry on the afore-mentioned activities of yours? This also brings doubt in me whether the petitioner is in lobby with some of these car decor shops or sun film manufacturers to get a cut in their profit.

5)) … tomorrow if shops selling adulterated milk are shut will we protest ?? If these shops would not have mushroomed and sold illegal films in threatening proportions – the need of invoking a ban on black films, would not have arised.

Most idiotic premise i have heard, I am sorry to say this. To take into the same example you are giving, what you are doing is akin to telling that since some shops are selling adulterated milk, it should be made illegal to sell milk. The crack down has to be on these illegal films and not on the car owners having sun films within legal limits.

What we need to do is spread this message around just to show how much stupid the premise is and how Supreme Court is unfortunately wrong in passing this judgement.
    7 people like this.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    After removing the film, i can see Punto (and sure Linea also will have) do have glasses tinted, side and rear glass having 70% visibility and front glass has 75% visibility and ISI mark is present on all glasses.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Please see the 'Removal' section of the wiki link for some guidance.
    Window film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Steam will make the removal very easy. May be steaming is also a better option for rear where defogger is there. Please make sure that the remover will not use blade to scratch the defroster lines. Check the defroster after removal.
  7. How is the Cooling inside the cabin, any difference?
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nope, not much difference.
    But there is direct sunlight to your body.
  9. Do we know the default tint going to block UVA or UVB rays?

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

University of Iowa Health Science Relations and
    Warren Piette, MD
    Professor of Dermatology

[SIZE=-1]First Published: November 2000
    Peer Review Status: Internally Peer Reviewed[/SIZE]
    [HR][/HR] Warm weather beckons the winter-weary to throw their cares away and come out to play, but inevitably, some are left with a stinging sunburn.

"If you're planning to spend time in the sun, you need to know how to protect your skin from sunburn," says Dr. Warren Piette, professor of dermatology at the University of Iowa College of Medicine and staff physician at UI Hospitals and Clinics.

Too much sun exposure can cause sunburn, Piette says. "Tanning is a sign of skin injury whether from the sun or a tanning bed. The most harmful sun rays occur from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and people with fair skin are most prone to sunburn," Piette says.

If you're going to be involved in outdoor activities, take precautions to protect your skin by wearing a sun block, Piette says. He suggests a minimum of SPF 15 (sun protection factor) with ultraviolet (UV) ray protection because ultraviolet rays cause sunburn. "No matter how tan you are, your tan won't protect you from sunburn," he says. "Any tanning can eventually lead to sun-induced or premature aging of your skin. Using a sunblock that screens UVA as well as UVB may decrease both skin cancer risk and the rate of skin aging."

Some researchers have linked long-term exposure to sunlight as a possible risk factor for melanoma, a form of cancer, Piette says. "Getting a sunburn does not automatically mean you'll develop skin cancer, but it surely increases the risk of one of several forms of skin cancer."

However, cancer-related risks involve skin type, inherited tendencies, and your total-lifetime exposure to the sun. Lighter-skinned people are more likely to increase their risk of developing cancer if they continually spend time in the sun without using skin protection."
    Skin protectants are also found in products other than sun blocks, he adds. "Many companies are developing and labeling their cosmetics with UV protection," says Piette. Opaque cosmetics, like powders, may also block out sunlight.

"Protective clothing and hats also block the sun's rays," he says. "However, light-colored clothes, like a white T -shirt, won't block all of the sun's rays. If you can hold clothing up in the sunlight and rays filter through, it will only protect you half as much as darker clothing." Even shady sandy areas near the water can reflect the sun's rays and cause sunburn.

"Once you're sunburned, only time can heal your skin. But you can use moisturizers to soothe the pain," Piette says. "Swelling and blistering occur in the worst cases of sunburn, and may lead to infections," he says. Piette cautions against using products with anesthetic ingredients because the skin can become sensitized to anesthetics. "This could cause problems if you later need a simple medical procedure performed under local anesthetic."

"If you have a sunburn that blisters, accompanied by a high fever, see your physician immediately for treatment," Piette says.
    For more information about sunburn, talk to your physician.
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  10. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    This is exactly what I meant when I said tints are a necessity in India. The court has failed to consider the health aspect of tinted films. With the depletion of the ozone layer more harmful sun rays are making it to our planet resulting in increased skin reactions and worse, skin cancer.

I have Rosacea and my doctor has asked me to avoid sunlight , always use a sunscreen prescribed by her and never to use any face wash that has chemical's. In fact, I have been prescribed to use a special face wash that's gentle on my skin. Who is going to be responsible for any problems that I will face due to sun exposure because the dumb Supreme Court judges failed to consider the health aspect of sun exposure?

I really don't know the way forward but this judgement has to be revised. The courts are playing with people's lives but then you can't expect much when it comes to health in our country. After all, even people like us comment on driver's wearing sun glasses saying, 'Style maar raha hain'.

Apart from that the courts arbitrarily shut down the entire sun film industry showing scant regard to loss of business, livelihood & taxes that the government gets from this industry.

If security is the reason for this law then the solution to women's security is better policing & training the men to respect women more. The conviction rate for rape cases is about 5% no wonder people fancy their chances at getting away with such crimes. The police has to respect women more and shape up their shoddy investigation methods. Remember what the Kolkatta cops told the rape victim when she went to file a complaint? This is also a cultural issue. You can ban sunfilms all you want but this problem will not go away. Question is, who is going to question the cops on the reduction in eve teasing & rape cases after sunfilms were banned? The results will shock both the cops & the court because the incidents will only go up.

As for enforcing this rule, Navi Mumbai cops in Vashi were on the roads on Thursday evening enforcing this rule while on Friday, cops in Chembur were busy stopping vehicles for the same. The only hope is that this 'enthusiasm' wanes away and things get back to 'normal' just like it did in the smoking is banned in public places law.
    1 person likes this.