1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

From car hunt to booking Grande Punto 90 HP - 10,500+ kms review (pics included)

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by drarvindc, May 20, 2011.

1. SankalpDesai

SankalpDesai Timido

Pune
    Hey Arvind,

That's a very nicely written report and an awesome looking Punto. I find Punto 90hp to be really powerful and a pleasure to drive in the city and on the highway.

You have also clocked some decent mileage for the tenure you have owned it. Please keep updating the post regularly for the advantage of forum readers.

JSK
  2. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    Continued....

Additional work / stuff done on car :

1. Got underbelly antirust coating done.
    2. Front Door sills (looks good).
    3. Speakers added (regrets and would be removing them).

Electronic accessories :

1. Satguide C230 navigator - works amazing.
    2. Belkin DC to AC adapter for charging laptops and stuff in the car - Helps a lot in long drives.

Long Trips so far :

1. Faridabad - Nagpur (1200 kms)
    2. Nagpur - Pune (750 kms) 2 times.
    3. Pune - Mumbai - 3 times

Mileage Status -

• On highways it is giving around 17-19 kmpl and the max it gave was 24 kmpl during a good patch (300 kms) on the faridabad-nagpur route.
    • Currently in city it is giving around 13-14 kmpl, seems low but could be due to summer (41+ at nagpur) and AC is always on, never drive with glasses down. Traffic is decent and NO bumper to bumper traffic at nagpur.
    • I would be getting serious about the mileage after the second servicing which is due in the next 1-2 months.

To Do in the coming months -

1. Second Servicing.
    2. Remove the added speakers.
    3. Search for good quality seat covers (can't seem to find good one).
    4. May be get paint job for the scratches incurred so far.
    5. Find ways to get Eco-drive working in Punto
    6. Go on driving - it makes the day brighter.
  3. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congrats once again a real cool car when parked and turns into a beast with little pressure on the Right leg,
    Enjoy the care and drive safe.
  4. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    WOw.... such a crisp write up. Really enjoyed reading it. In your case specially, I can say that more than you buying a FIAT, FIAT BUYS YOU :)
    COngrats on the car and drive safe
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Excellent Write-up draravindc, I seemed to have missed this thread somehow.

BNW on a Punto is a definite stunner, Wish I had personally seen the colors before booking the car. So why are you changing the speakers?

Also where did you get the DC/AC Belkin adapter from, I'm looking for one too.
  6. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    The speakers doesnot sound good as expected. Hard to explain but its kinda irritating when increasing volume and if i cant increase the volume, then whats the whole point of going for the new speakers. I should have gone for the front door speaker upgrade.

In short got fooled by the dealership guy, he said >> Sir, these are good, hot selling... i was like ok... install them.

Wife is not at all happy about it and have been very vocal about spoiling the car's interior by cutting the tray. I tried to keep up saying the speakers are good, but eventually had to confess - bad choice.

For the Belkin AC anywhere i got it from Nehru place - Delhi. The Belkin Site has listed many options to buy the same.
    http://www.belkin.com/in/wheretobuy/
    http://www.belkin.com/in/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=509524

Few pics of the speakers installed (Rs 3,000+) and the Belkin (Rs 1600). I used the belkin to charge my laptop few times while going from Nagpur-Pune and back. Works well.

IMG_7267.jpg

IMG_7268.jpg

IMG_7269.jpg

IMG_7271.jpg

IMG_7273.jpg
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    You should have changed the Front speakers first even before cutting the rear parcel tray. Also I would recommend not to put anything on the rear parcel tray, My car developed rattles only after it was opened up for the ICE install.

Thanks for those links for Belkin, Seems they are retailing around 1500 in Ebay might as well order it tonight.
  8. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    Yeah, it was a blunder and i regret the installation. I would be getting a new tray while giving car for second servicing soon and will ask them to remove the wiring too.... Not sure what to do with the speakers but thats least of the worry. I guess will put them up on ebay for bidding, whatever i get would be fine..

Arvind
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Whenever you are going to upgrade your rear speaker change the parcel tray to Wooden parcel tray, recommended brand is BASS FX. It will cost around Rs. 1100. It will enhance the output quality.

The parcel tray which comes with the car is of Fiber & tends to bend after few days if you fix speaker into them. My personal experience. I used Alpine Speaker with Wooden tray & believe me it was awsome.
  10. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    There is a steel rod going all the way through the fiber tray... the bending you suggest is evident in Tata cars (seen lots of indica's with bended trays). You can see the rod in the speaker pics (center of speakers). The speakers performance is poor and so would be removing them forever and not going for any more speakers on the tray.