1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Frequent AC cutoff in Punto 1.2. Share you experience.

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by nitinkumardba, Jun 25, 2013.

1. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I notice frequent AC cutoff in my Punto 1.2 in first 4-5 minutes, interval is like 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds and further gets increased to minutes. This is happening mostly in low RPMs. Example- coming out from my apartment.

After around 5 minutes, it becomes normal and cooling is not at all an issue once cutoff is settled.

I got it checked and everything is looking good.

I need comments from 1.2 owners if this is something which is normal with 1.2 engines.

I know we should not switch on AC from starting, but I use to open all the doors and boot and switch on the fan for 2-3 minutes and then only I get inside.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    How's the cooling when your car is idle. Does compressor cut in and out frequently ?
    Is radiator fan working in high speed.

First of all get the AC gas level checked.
  3. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Checks and action so far:

Cutoff is happening only in starting. Even after 20-25 minutes , AC is working fine even car is idle, no frequent cutoffs.

1- Gas checked and refilled twice to my satisfaction.
    2- Condensor is cleaned.
    3- Cooling coil is cleaned.
    4- AC filter is changed (Price encreased from Rs 49 to Rs 199- Its not back to paper made)
    5- AC pipes cleaned.

I feel that cooling is getting reduces a bit while car is idle.
    Fan is working fine with high RPMs and after 4-5 minutes , cabin is chilled and cutoff is happening between 5-6 degree grill temprature. Which seems to be normal.

Now either this is normal or something is still chocked which is causing cutoff.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    5-6 Degree is a little to early for compressor to cut off, I have seen around 2.5-2.9 C grill temp on my MJD. What are the high pressure and low pressure side readings.
    It's normal for cooling to reduce when car is idle.
    AC Filter is indeed paper type now.
    AC cut off after cold start is not normal.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  5. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

As per Mr. OP Sharma, cutoff is known in petrol cars only. MJD is not affected by this nature, thats why I am asking 1.2 owners to share their feedback. Worst thing is master electrician, Bhagwan Singh is still not recovered from medical problem.

What do you mean by high pressure and low pressure reading? you mean to say grill tempreture with low RPM and high RPM?
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    High and Low side pressure reading is the pressure of the refrigerant flowing thourgh low and high side pipes measured in PSI by connecting gauges at the connector through which gas is charged. Once the pressure goes out of range specified by Fiat the compressor would cut off. There are sensors placed on these pipes which monitor pressure.
  7. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I just asked them to check AC relay and module. Lets see how are these things. Can you please PM me your contact number?
  8. ask them get the O rings checked..i had a similiar problem with my linea.
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

But in case of O ring, Gas should leak. correct?
  10. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

where are all 1.2 owners?