1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fox Trot Azure Linea 2012 1.3 MJD - New company to Fiat Punto 1.4 EP

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by winimation, Jul 1, 2012.

1. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    Hello Everyone,

I'm owning a petrol Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack. I have been a happy & satisfied customer of owning the car for close to 2 & 1/2 yrs . My detailed review on the ownership can be read at
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-4...1-4-emotion-pack-16k-km-ownership-review.html

I had never imagined that the disparity between petrol & diesel would go to such an extent. I had even test driven a punto diesel but was not happy with the pickup & the diesel noise as compared to the petrol version. I decided in favour of the Petrol. The petrol at that time was around Rs 45 (Jan 2010) so I wanted to have the pleasure of driving a refind petrol engine. Although I was enjoying the car, often I was repenting my decision to go for a petrol rather than a diesel looking a the petrol price increase.

We were soon looking for a second car as my wife had to drive to office which meant 30 kms of daily driving. We were looking for a sedan & considering the spiralling petrol prices were preferring a diesel. I was always in favour of Fiat. Other than the build & the quality of the product, I & my wife had witnessed their awesome A S S in terms of road side assistance & delivery of spare parts to my home address (read details in the above link). Just to have a balanced thought & not get too emotional about owning a FIAT, We test drove Hyundai Verna, Toyota Etios & Ford Fiesta. The cars had their own fun but not they were not comparable to FIAT as a whole package if you weight it wrt the price point at which they were selling. The following features from the competitors were tempting me to consider them & also the fact that Punto & Linea had the same dashboard layout which was very disappointing :( (Atleast there should be some incentive for Punto owners to move up to Linea)
    - A2DP in Ford Fiesta (Wireless Bluetooth Streaming of music from Mobile phones)
    - Voice Controlled Temprature Controlled in Ford Fiesta
    - Auto Folding Mirrors in Ford Fiesta that unfold automatically on unlock
    - Start/Stop Switch in Hyundai Verna
    - 6th Gear in Hyundai Verna
    - Nothing great in Etios other than the massive space without any increase in the outside dimensions

After all the test drive, we decided to go for Linea 2012 mjd 1.3 as it offered the best value for money in the segment. The A S S was no more a suspense as I had experienced a good service while owning GP. Plus Gp/Linea are one of the few cars who offer a 4 yr warranty & a road side assistance.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

We bought the top end Linea 2012 mjd fox Trot Azure during May 2012. The emotion pack version is no longer produced but the emotion varioant in diesel has become the top-end variant with all features. There are enhancements which Fiat have done to their 2012 versions of Punto/ Linea
    - Automatic Headlamps
    - Automatic Rain Sensing Wipers
    - Increased ground clearance by 10 mm
    - Power Windows with Delay Function ( 1 min after car is switched off)
    - Lighter Power Steering
    - Powerful Airconditioning

We bought the car from Om Sai, Kandivali. Not a great sales experience buying from them. Good that Fiat is parting ways with Tata on sales & service. I always felt there should be atleast one company owned service centre in all major cities. There is a huge difference between the finish of a company & that of a service centre.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

We bought the top end Linea 2012 mjd fox Trot Azure during May 2012. The emotion pack version is no longer produced but the emotion varioant in diesel has become the top-end variant with all features. There are enhancements which Fiat have done to their 2012 versions of Punto/ Linea
    - Automatic Headlamps
    - Automatic Rain Sensing Wipers
    - Increased ground clearance by 10 mm
    - Power Windows with Delay Function ( 1 min after car is switched off)
    - Lighter Power Steering
    - Powerful Airconditioning

We bought the car from Om Sai, Kandivali. Not a great sales experience buying from them. Good that Fiat is parting ways with Tata on sales & service. I always felt there should be atleast one company owned service centre in all major cities. There is a huge difference between the finish of a company & that of a service centre.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  2. Congratulations on your new buy! Two fiats!!! awesome :) Wish you miles of happy and safe driving.
  3. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    Some pics to satisfy the pics hungry fans of Fiat
    DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

Linea with Punto in the background
    DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    7 people like this.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Congratulations and best wishes, winimation. Explore and enjoy your lovely Linea.:)
  5. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    Now that is certainly a smart choice!! Having both italian girls with you, you must be having best time driving both of them. Congrats for your new Linea!!
    Have miles & miles of happy hours with your two italian beasts!!!
  6. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    @ Ravi & Tron
    Thanks a lot for your wishes! I'm enjoying & exploring the italian beauties. :p

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Some of the things which I noticed in Linea mjd 2012 were
    - Steering is very light with a good feedback. My punto steering feels very heavy but gives a good feedback.
    - Clutch is very light. Now I feel Punto has a very hard clutch. Whenever I switch car, I take some time to adjust to the clutch
    - Linea has never scraped its bottom. Increasing the ground clearance was actually a good decision by Fiat. Scraping of bottom is very common in my Punto.
    - Difference in Pickup, probably because of diesel & petrol engine. Basically the driving characteristics are different in both of them. I have a tendency to upshift to a higher gear immediately in my Punto. Same driving habits make Linea feel very less powerful. Linea doesn't have a solid pickup in 2nd gear if your rpm is less than 10x. In my offfice parking, it doesn't just pickup in 2nd gear. I have to then slot it in 1st gear.
    Driving independently as a sedan, I don't think it has any less power. It is pretty powerful.
    - After delivery, I noticed few rattles on the door as well as the armrest. Armrest makes some noise when the pressure on it changes while driving. I took it to Om Sai but they checked the left front door for nan hour & claimed that they have fixed it. But soon I could notice the problem still persist. Will take it to Fortune Motors
    - Very refined diesel engine.
    - Music system doesnt sound as great as Punto. Punto had a Blaupunkt unit whereas in Linea I have Delphi HU. I have changed the speakers in both the cars but unlike Punto I'm not able to use both EQ & Bass & treble setting simultaneously.
    - The spare wheel also gets alloys

Somethings I wished should have been present in Linea
    - No rear wiper (Don't unerstand why it isn't offered in sedans)
    - No cigarette lighter (I don't smoke but when it was present in top end punto why should Linea owners be deprived of it.)
    - The leather steering cover doesn't feel as good as the one used in Punto. In Linea, it is more of a matte finish.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Modifications carried out

Provided by dealer
    - Sunfilms (Garware)
    - Floor Mats
    - Mud Flaps
    - Reverse Parking Sensor

Accesories installed by me
    - Door Guards (For all doors)
    - 3M Paint Sealent treatment by 3M Andheri
    - Front stock speakers replaced by Blaupunkt 65.2 component speakers

I asked the 3M guy about HC's verdict on sunfilm. He said it would not come into effect. Only tint beyond 50% would be enforced as illegal. The point is HC had also passed on verdict on use of helmets. But it is hardly observed in few states. So I think police will not fine motorist with sunfilms but would fine only those with >50% tint. But I will hold on to a 3M/ VKool coating for the time being. Also the major sunfilm companies would be thrown out of business so they would file a counter petition since the verdict is illogical so the chances are that verdict may not be enforced.

I saw an amazing product in the 3M showroom in Andheri. It's a car protection treatment. They would cover the whole car with a strong but transparent layer of a plastic film. This would mean you don't need to get the paint treated or wax. It will prevent your car from scracthes. This can also be done for few portions of the car. The price is simply out of the world. I was shown an AUDI Q7 which had got the coating done. The price was ard 70k :eek:. I told them for an Audi it is nothing but for other owners it is a big amount. In less than that price I can get the whole car re-painted :p

The other drawback is if it meets an accident where a dent is caused, the protection film is useless. But I liked the idea. Provided the price is reasonable I think lot of people will go for it (if not the whole car atleast the bumpers)
  7. Does changing of speaker affect warranty? Actually I bought Linea emotion 2012 MJD few days back and thinking of changing speakers/HU also installing amp. but thought it might screw up warranty which I do not want to do. Any thoughts?
  8. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    It does not void warranty as long as the wires are not cut. Only speakers are replaced. Incase ofof HU/amp, it may not be so straight to carry the modification you need a really good installer. In anycase you would have to change the speakers. So first change them & see if you are satisfied with the quality.
  9. ops

ops Amatore

Kathmandu
    Nepal
    Punto Abarth
    Congratulation for your new linea.
    My linea 2011 august make also has power window with delay. It seems this feature was present in earlier model but was not advertised well by fiat.
  10. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congrats on having both the Italian Beauties with you.
    For sure you would have made the neighbors envy, I thing we the Fiatians can assure you that the more you drive them, the more you will fall in love for it and the engine would be more refined as the kms clock by, as its vice versa for OTHERS,