1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

For the Aviation minded

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by johnny, Apr 12, 2011.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    2 people like this.
  2. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi Johnny, Happy to see you in TFI, Aviation has been one of my life dreams you are a lucky guy..

Regards,
    Surya
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  3. It is a privilege for all of us to have you on the forum.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  4. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Sat-Chit-ananda. Currently, it is my privilege to interact with you guys on this forum.

@Surya,

Yes, I guess I was lucky.

Regards
    Johnny
    1 person likes this.
  5. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Wonderful thread! so glad to see someone who's been more in the air than on the ground (well almost) :)
    My place is 10km away from Pune airport but still get a panoramic view of landing and take off. The nights are especially awesome. Something weighing thousands of tonnes and still able to fly amazes me everytime. have watched all the episodes of May Day series; British Airways flight# 9 being my favorite as the plane and passengers survived. So much of information there.
    Once visited Boeing factory at Seattle (Everett) and saw making of the Dreamliner! I remember the punch line from the tour guide, "If its not Boeing, I'm not going " ;)
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. rajtin123

rajtin123 Timido

Nashik
    Sir you are the real TFI star. Actually what caught my attention was the MiG21 you flew. I do work on the same aircraft and it is one of the finest aircraft we have. Now we share two things in common, MiG21 and a punto :-D
    2 people like this.
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes. Both the MiG-21 & the Punto are thoroughbreds. Unfortunately, not many can appreciate it.

Regards
    Johnny
    2 people like this.
  8. Just for the curiosity sake, how do you rate the engines in a aircraft,is it with top speed it can reach or or rated out put from engines? Do you get to experience how engine is performing? units like HP and torque has any meaning over there?
  9. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That is a very interesting question. The basic performance parameter for a jet engine is the thrust. The unit used is generally Kgs. The MiG-21 engine produces 6200 kgs of thrust at max power setting using a system called the afterburner. This power setting cannot be used for very long since the fuel consumption is massive - typically between 300 to 500 litres per minute!!

To fly at the max speed which is about 2200 kmph, you need close to max thrust. So, using this information you can work out a very rough approximation of the HP being generated under these conditions.

The formula would be: Power = Force (thrust) x velocity. You can use the appropriate units and work out the maths.

On the other hand, when the aircraft is stationary with the engine at max power, the HP generated is zero. Because of these complications, we just stick to the parameter of thrust.

During every takeoff, we check the engine performance by co-relating the acceleration of the aircraft with respect to the distance covered on the runway. (In the Mirage-2000 we get a digital display of the forward acceleration). There are also other specific checks carried out at regular intervals to monitor this parameter.

Older propeller driven aircraft used piston engines. In these engines, the concept of HP was very much applicable.

Regards
    Johnny
    6 people like this.
  10. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    Its interesting.. learning.. now iam a student of Johnny sir.
    1 person likes this.