1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Focus of Head light is not properly alinged

Discussion in 'Technical' started by kumarsantosh, Dec 29, 2014.

1. kumarsantosh

kumarsantosh Timido

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Right hand head light is working fine, but its light refector is not properly alinged. The light coming out of this lamp falls quite near to car only. I have shown to Fiat service center. They said that they will replace whole head light.

Could you please let me know whether I should replace right hand head light or not?

2. Saurabh2177

Saurabh2177 Novizio

Dear Kumar i have the same problem with my right light,
    the headlight has been changed thrice in last 1 year in warranty but still the problem has not been rectified,
    well i have lost hope that they can correct it.
    please also inform if you find a solution to it.
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You can easily adjust the head light focus with simple tools.

If you want to try DIY: Fiat Punto head lights have 2 alignment screws - marked A for horizontal (left<->right) movement and marked B for vertical (up<->down) movement. White part in the circles are the alignment screws. You can either use a philips screw driver or allen key for turning the alignment screws. Grooves for the philips screw driver are not that deep. Those grooves will bald out quickly if the screw driver slips few times. I prefer allen key for this job.

How to align the head light:
    • Park the car on horizontal ground around 10 ft away from a wall. Length wise car should be perpendicular to the wall.
    • Measure the head light bulb height from the ground. It is not possible to measure it 100% accurately. Few millimeters +/- is fine.
    • Mark a spot on the wall 2 inches below the head light bulb height from the ground.
    • Set the ignition key to MAR position and set head light leveling adjustment to 1 or 2. That way you have the elbow room to adjust the head light beam slightly up or down later when the load in the car changes.
    • Turn screw B until the top portion of the head light beam is on the mark on the wall. This ensures that head light slightly focuses towards the ground to avoid blinding on coming traffic; at the same time illuminates driving visibility distance in front of the car.
    • If required turn screw A to horizontally (left<->right) adjust the head lights to throw the light straight in front of the car. Some manufacturers advice turning the driver side light beam slightly towards left to reduce blinding the on coming traffic. For example - Daewoo cars (yeah - they are a history now) had focused head lights slightly to left. But I don't see any manufacturer doing it today. So, it may not be needed. Your decision. I have adjusted head lights to straight forward.
    Probably head light mounting brackets are bent out of place if you cannot get the right alignment by adjusting screws. You may have to use some spacer washers around the mounting brackets or bend the mounting brackets adequately to get the head light direction in aligning range using the alignment screws.

: Be careful when you turn the alignment screws because the head light alignment mechanism breaks/fails if you turn them beyond their end point of adjustment. Stop if you feel the screws are tight - that is probably the end point. I have seen fiat service people turning the screw beyond end point and breaking them. So be gentle on the alignment screws!
    asimpleson likes this.