1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Focal Integration series in my Jet

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by eyeguy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. hirenmistry

hirenmistry Amatore

Stockholm
    Hello Doc,
    Read your thread and congrats for finding the set up you are looking for. I have booked a 2012 Punto Emotion, awaiting delivery.
    Today I had some time so went to check the local accessory shops for component speaker. Tried Power base, Focal and Kicker components.

I too would love to hear your setup. Fortunately for us I am based in Borivali so very close to your clinic. So perhaps dj and I could gang up and meet you.

Many thanks for sharing.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Johnny, i agree to your point too. there was a long debate on this topic on other forum wherein many ice gurus also gave the same judgement.

If impedance of speakers is not matching then too its a problem.

The high power speakers definitely take toll on power amp ic as the IC keeps running in overloaded condition , heats up and finally blows up.

try one thing. use a powerful big headphones which have big magnets , with your cell phone. you will notice that its not playing properly and drains off the battery quickly too.

even in home theatre systems the speakers, woofers and amp are designed in such a way that it complements each other.

this is true in case of car audio too.

in my newest head unit its clearly mentioned that if you are using external amplifier you can keep the power amp IC switched off. this takes the load off the head unit and it plays more efficiently.
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Italia-Linea,

I do not want to start a debate on this point since I do not consider myself an 'ICE Guru'. I am just someone who likes music with clarity. However, in my earlier post, I have placed a link to a web page that explains this aspect in detail. You could go through it and make your own conclusions.

I am currently playing my OEM HU without an amplifier. I am using MTX compos rated for 100 WRMS/400 Watts peak each, in the front. In the rear I am using MTX co-axials rated for 60 WRMS/240 Watts peak each. Whenever I drive my car, the music is on non-stop, since installation of these speakers in July 2010. Nothing has gone wrong with the setup, and it sounds as good as it was at the time of install. Of course I do not ever crank up the volume to clipping levels. This will definitely kill any amp/HU over a period of time.

At home I am using a Sony Pro emblem amp rated for 75 WRMS per channel driving JBL speakers rated for 100 WRMS each. This setup is 15 years old, and believe me, it had seen some abuse. It still sounds brilliant.

Regards
    Johnny
    1 person likes this.
  4. Italia-Linea

Pune

yeah too am not an ice guru, but i hated the very first set up in my old car that was playing JBL 120watts rms speakers on my pioneer head unit. even that time an ice installer told me to go for a basic amp atleast. we noticed that time too that within few minutes of playing at moderate volumes the heatsink attached to the IC was getting damn hot. luckily the IC dint blow off.

yes you are right. clipping would be the worst situation in any ice set up.

you have got good equipment there, but a even a basic amp will do good justice to the upgraded speakers. without a matching amp the speakers will never perform to their full potential.
    its not about just hearing loud, its about hearing clear and crisp for which the speakers are designed.

The OEM HU is designed in such a way that as you keep on increasing volume it keeps on reducing the bass. this is to protect the OEM punny speakers. the IC also has clipping protection.
    If you see my other DIY thread i had done the post mortem of the HU and hacked RCAs from it.

believe me the OEM hu is one of the crappiest i have seen with very less power.

but at the end if one is happy with how the system is playing in his car then there is no need to upgrade.

once the ICE madness bites you it becomes a never ending expense :)
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Italia-Linea,

I am in total agreement with most of the points raised by you.

I agree that the MTX compos are an overkill for the OEM HU. I picked them deliberately since their ability to handle bass is very impressive. The other point is that I found that MTX speakers are very efficient, and can be driven quite effectively with low powered HUs like the stock HU. Yes, I am also aware that adding an amp will definitely improve the sound experience. However, it was a deliberate decision to not fit an amp, partially because of the fact that the HU does not have a 'pre-amp' out. I am not if favour of fitting an amp with input from the 'speaker out'. Even with a Hi-Lo converter, the sound will be sub optimal.

The only point that I am not totally in agreement with you is about the quality of the sound from the stock HU. I personally feel it is not bad - it maybe because mine is a Blaupunkt HU. If you have the patience to tailor the sound using the equaliser, the end result is quite nice. In any case I do not play music louder than 12. I feel that the music must not be a distraction while driving. I do not know how the Bosch & the other newer OEM HU sound.

It was nice discussing this point with you.

Regards
    Johnny
    1 person likes this.
  6. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Well my ICE struggle in linea last 1 long year. i am very fond of good quality music and was accustomed to it in my old car.

initially i retained my oem HU and added amplifiers, components and woofer. first i used a premium hi-low converter which blew off, then i tried speaker level input and almost every other method.

then with help from Jayadev(our forum member and electronics expert) i opened up the HU and hacked RCA preouts directly from the HU bypassing the power amp. the sound quality definitely increased but again now to my satisfaction. with deep study of components (DSP and IC) used in the OEM hu and its functions i realised that this wont take me further.

my doubt was confirmed when i hooked in my pioneer head unit from my old car into my linea. suddenly the existing equipment sounded so better. then i took a plunge to upgrade the HU.

my take after the experience is as follows in terms of quality.

OEM HU + stock speakers < OEM HU + upgraded speakers < OEMHU + AMP + Upgraded Speakers < OEMHU + AMP + Sound Processor + upgraded speakers < Upgraded HU + AMP + Upgraded Speakers.

i listen to music in very low volumes, but i love to hear all instruments clear and perfect. with OEM HU i was getting more irritated than getting satisfied.
    my daily drive is almost 60kms and music takes all my stress out.

i upgraded with HU which plays .wav files, has one of the best DAC , time alignment and all other things that contributes to SQ + it retains bluetooth calling + steering wheel controls
    3 people like this.
  7. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    @ hirenmistry

Sure buddy you can hear the set up anytime.
    btw have you booked an MJD punto. the top of the line diesel punto has the same specs as the new linea mjd (90 hp and 207 torque). it must be a rocket.
    my Santro is 7 yrs old and when I change it I wanna consider that. If you've booked that one please let me know your experience with it.
  8. hirenmistry

hirenmistry Amatore

Stockholm
    Thanks so much, will surely drop in sometime.
    Yes, mine is a Punto Emotion but the 75hp model and not the 90HP.

Regards
  9. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Italia-Linea,

You seem to be true ICE enthusiast.

I am coming to Mumbai in April, and will be there for a few months. Yes, I am coming in the Punto. So, we must meet this time. I will be interested in checking out your final configuration.

Regards
    Johnny
  10. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    we can have an ICE sub-forum meet in April...only ICEd Fiats.
    what say guys?