1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Focal Integration series in my Jet

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by eyeguy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

IC gets fried only if there is a short circuit. If the rating of the speaker is less than the output generated, then a short circuit can occur causing a fry. However, if the speaker is of the same rating or higher (means equal or lower volume at same settting) a short circuit can occur leading to the fry. So the above statement is not correct until and unless the ohm value of the speaker and the peak handling capacity of the speaker have reduced
  2. singh

singh Amatore

With this set up woofer is also not required, The sound is so pleasing , only those who have heard will believe the QUALITY , each note and frequency soothes the mind . Dampening is must , and yes stock head unit is not bad when connected to these speakers and a good amp . My cousin have all 2 set of components in linea , connected to alpine MRX F30 . Again only those will believe who has listened .
  3. eyeguy

@ Italia-linea
    you really think so?
    I read on the Focal website that they had made these speakers especially for connection with OEM HUs.
    The power ratings mention RMS 5-70 watts. ( I think our HU gives about 18 Watts per channel)
    Even with these speakers, they require the volume to be only 15 to really blast off.
    Now I'm a novice in these matters but I assumed that if they dont require the volume to be cranked up that means they are not drawing too much power off the HU.

But now you got me re-thinking about this.
    Please do let me know what you feel
  4. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

What Italia-Linea is saying is correct, although I'm here to add another angle.

If you power your components from a decent 2/4 channel amplifier, you'll see the real potential of these speakers. OEM HU, apart from being crap, puts out meager power (~18-22 watts). Your (component) speakers deserve much more, and cleaner power.

And I would seriously suggest a HU upgrade+adding a subwoofer. No matter how good is the bass reproduction from your existing speakers, they just cannot go as low as a sub would.

However, all these upgrades are really incomplete without a good source i.e. HU. Get one with 3 pre-outs and preferably with Time Alignment. You'll see a remarkable difference in your ICE.

Btw, where in Mumbai are you based? I would like to audition your speakers if you are willing.

EDIT - I stand corrected. I mis-read your opening post. I now see that you got all 4 coaxials. So it's OK to run them off the HU, though I would still suggest going for a very basic budget 4 channel amp just to protect your HU.

In hindsight, you should have REALLY gone for components in front. They make hell lot of difference in the sound stage. Tweeters can be affixed on the dash, mounted on the A-pillar or installed in the stock location too (though its not great there). So if you made your decision solely because of the installer's word, then I'm sorry to say that he mis-guided you.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  5. eyeguy

I went ahead with co-axials because I was averse to fixing the tweeters on the dash.
    Budget was not my concern at all...minimum alterations in the car was.

For me this set up is enough...in fact it is more than enough. It is exactly what I wanted...good SQ.

I have heard many set ups with amps subs n all, which can blast the pants of anybody standing close to the car BUT with poor SQ.

I listen to Classic Rock, Jazz, Soul and Techno which is not very bass heavy so I dont really miss the sub.

You are welcome to audition the speakers any time. I stay at Kandivli and at Khar over weekends. PM me if you wanna hear the set up.
  6. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Cool, where in Kandivali? I'm in Thakur Village.
  7. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Linea 1.4
    Have you put an amplifier or just replaced 4 speakers and 4 tweeters?
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3

From your post I get the impression that you are apprehensive about the 'longevity' of your setup based on Italia-Linea's input. This issue had come up some post earlier (I could not find the post). The point being that low powered amp driving higher powered speakers could cause long term damage to the amp.

This is not correct. Let me explain:

Firstly, you must ensure that the amp output impedence matches the speaker input impedence. If this is not done, (eg. pairing 2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm output amp), you could have problems in the long term.

If you have matched the impedence, even if the output of the amp is lower than the rating of the speaker (this is the desirable condition), nothing will go wrong with your setup. However, there is a rider: Almost all commercial amps are designed to give reasonably distortion free output till about 75 to 80% of their peak power rating. As long as you operate the amp below these settings, nothing will go wrong. The problem will come up in case you crank up the volume higher than 75 to 80%. You will hear the distortion in the speakers. If you play the amp at this setting for long periods, there is possibility of damage to the amp. If the speakers have enough margin of power rating, over the amp output, then it is unlikely that the speakers will get damaged. The point to keep in mind is that you must take care to play the amp at settings below the threshold of distortion.

I am enclosing a link to a site that explains this in greater detail:

Too Little Power Blowing Speakers

The last point is that ICE modification is a matter of personal taste. Quite often people go to installers without doing their homework, and get taken in by the 'sales talk' given by the installer. They finally wind up fitting a lot of stuff they really do not need, and shelling out a lot of money in the bargain. Quite often they are not satisfied with the final setup. In your case, I think that you were quite clear about what you wanted, and researched the matter well. You have finally got a setup that you are happy with. So, my advice to you is to enjoy the music, and do not make unnecessary modifications /changes based on what others tell you.

9. @eyeguy:-

i m looks to stock the OEM HU on my punto and want to change the speakers, do you recommend me the same setup on punto. Even i don`t want the tweeters to be out side or on dashboard.
    do you think we can enjoy this kind of music with the setup: Fedde Le Grand - So Much Love (Official Music Video) - YouTube

not to be very high on bass, but the beats should be good to hear like FORD figo OEM setup.

and in future if i thought to change the HU can we stock the speak with the new HU.

what you recommend ..
  10. eyeguy

@ Johnny
    You are quite right. I am sure about the set up and matched impedence, output etc. in details before my decision.
    The speakers are truely AWESOME!

@ Drive drift
    I would definitely recommend these speakers to you. I have given the links to the relevant websites. do check them out.

@ dj nish
    I have a clinic in Thakur Village but my main Hospital is at Ashok Nagar near Kandivali station near the east west flyover.
    Call me on 9619188652 and we can meet up if you wanna hear the speakers.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012