1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Focal Integration series in my Jet

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by eyeguy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    Focal Integration series in my Jet

After much deliberation and numerous consultations with the ICE experts, I was COMPLETELY confused about ICEing up the Jet.
    “Just put components in front and coaxial at the back…no need for amp”
    “Are you crazy? Components can never really ‘come alive’ without an amp!”
    “Our Tjet head unit is the pits”
    “ Oh, c’mmon…it’s not so bad”

I don’t think I thought so much even before I got married. (Though one always feels one should have)

Finally, I took a call.

Focal Integration Series it was for me.
    They are specially designed to be dropped into the OEM speaker slots. They have a “polyglass” woofer cone which is supposed to give better SQ.
    I had checked out this series on the net and at Crutchfied’s website. I thought about going in for IS 165 (components without a crossover box…the crossovers are in-built separately at the woofers and tweeters) and IC 165 (coaxial) at the back.
    Now, the guy who advised me about this (Rishi from Sainath at Khar S V Road) suggested that I put coaxial in front too. His logic was that he had installed both compos and coaxial in separate cars on the same day and there was very minimal difference. The cost difference was Rs 3,500/- which didn’t matter but what did was the fact that the tweeter was too big to fit in the door and would have to be mounted on the dash and screwed in. I was dead against this so I decided to go ahead with his advice and put all 4 coaxials.

BLODDY HELL! What a difference!

I couldn’t believe my ears. Who the hell says the Head Unit should be thrown away. Let him sit in my car and repeat the same. I’ll get him certified insane by one of my psychiatrist friends.

Of course, it’s not gonna boom like an amp with a sub, but these speakers are seriously a notch above anything I’ve heard. They lighten your wallet a bit more than other brands but they are simply marvelous.
    Will put up some pics as soon as I figure out how to.

P.S. Thanks Johnny and everyone for all their inputs.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
    3 people like this.
  2. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    These are the speakers installed along with 1 sq foot dynamat ( without amp that much is enough as recommended on the Crutchfield site)

IMG00515-20120124-1250.jpg

IMG00521-20120124-1340.jpg
  3. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
  4. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    The rubbish that they provide

IMG00518-20120124-1313.jpg

IMG00517-20120124-1312.jpg

IMG00519-20120124-1332.jpg
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am surprised to see the China label, mine was with Italy label, 20watts, looks the same.
  6. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi eyeguy,

Congrats on you new upgrade. You will now find that you are spending more time in your 'Jet'.

At the end of the day what matters is not so much as what the 'experts' tell you, but what your ears hear. "They" are the final authority on the subject.

Regards
    Johnny
  7. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    2 days of listening to the speakers and I have realised they are a cut above the rest.
    The tweeters are awesome...crystal clear but smooth.
    No listening fatigue whatsoever.
    Its like I'm in a pub or nightclub.
    Also I feel they are suited for my kinda music ... Classic rock jazz regae soul.
    But the stuff that really gets out the best in them is Rehman's music!
  8. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Eyeguy, how much did you spend on the upgrade?
  9. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    @ speedjet
    The total came to 12.5 k including 4 speakers, 4 x 1 sq foot Dynamat and fitting
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    you should better get a basic 4 channel amp atleast. you are juicing out too much power from the oem head units power amp IC. prolonged use may fry them.