1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fly Wheel issue

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by aashish_19, Feb 6, 2013.

1. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @Moderator Kindly put this thread to some relevant area if necessary.

Hi All,

I am enclosing the pics of nearby gear box area and flywheel. As one of the screw got broken and 2 of them are loose to the part i don't know the name exactly (People can help me out with this part). This is the first time that my car got open from engine side.

I am very much shocked when the service guy told me that the screw got broken and if you have driven with the rest of the loose screw for more kilometer than your PUNTO surery must have got breakdown and only towing is the option left to your car. But, lucky me as when i heard those noide coming from the engine side i took my car to nearest service station which is at 180KM :eek:.

That screw to be remove took almost time from morning 10 to evening 5 as mentioned:

- Opening the nearby compartment by dismantle the gearbox took almost 2.5 hrs.
    - As this service station doesn't have Lathe Machine to do some lathing on it so they do it from outside and that took 3 hrs.
    - Putting back all part and nut to be tighten - 1.5 hrs

I was so much frustrate as this small screw need to replace took all the main part ( gearbox, front tyre panel, etc) out.

As per TSE, this is somewhat manufacturing defect but then also they took all the labor charges plus taxes from me of amount Rs 750 which include the Lathe machine process also.

My car is one year old and has done 21000Kms only but the issue seems to be unbelievable as how this screw got half broken and rest of them loose(might be due to vibration)

Kindly advice if this has to be paid Customer or i just got cheated from them.

P.S. Please tell me what part is called as where the screw got halved.

IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0612.jpg

IMAG0613.jpg

IMAG0614.jpg
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Man, that's a bummer. Surely a manufacturing defect.
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Very very bad and a serious issue to be reported to FIAT. May be that nut/screw was a damaged piece from the lot. As they say 1 in thousand could be faulty. Sorry about that buddy. May be try talking to FIAT officials about it or first talk to the higher management at the dealer and try to mention that you would talk about this with FIAT folks.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  5. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @Gurjinder Could you please tell me what that particular part is called as. So that i can have clear understanding when i will be talking to senior folks.
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    The flywheel in question is a normal dual-mass flywheel. Just tell them that the screw holding the two parts of the flywheel together failed - which is clearly a manufacturing defect. One of the screws has failed which i believe came bad from the supplier - so even FIAT couldn't have done anything. But responsibility they can take.

Cheers.
  7. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thnx brother, i was freaking waiting for all you guys to respond on this. I have escalated this through website as mention by RAVI and through toll free number also. Will see what company has to do in this and will update you all.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I think it is single mass wheel instead of dual mass http://www.clutch-kits-australia.com/dual-mass-flywheel.html

Correct me if i get it wrong.
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    I think it's definitely a dual mass one. The clutch engagement of our FIATs is super smooth and i believe it is due to this.

Italia-Linea will have more to share. Calling Italia-Linea , Hello hello :)
  9. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Well, it was similar to the spring like structure SMF as shown in the url when the mechanic at service center open the parts. Anyways Redialing Italia-Linea , Hello hello :-D
  10. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    Aashish, really sorry to hear your experience! Ask your SA to explain, in what manner you could have damaged the flywheel holding bolt? Its a pure daylight robbery! How the heck did he asked you to pay for it?? Even if the argument made by your SA is that they dont have a lathe machine to treat the damaged screw, its not atall your fault. First of all its a manufacturing defect! So they have to do the needful in FOC only! shoot a mail to Fiat regarding this scene.

Although money is not an issue(750 bucks) but if TASS agreed that it was a manufacturing defect then why on earth he would charge you for labour being your car in warrenty period?
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013