1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fluid top ups - Confused

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by zenwalker, Sep 17, 2013.

1. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Zen..when the manual says top up fluid they importantly mean oil and coolant. Power steering and brake fluid are not supposed to be top upped by us. Don't get into trouble. You might end up getting some air inside the containers. Don't ever open brake or power steering fluid containers. These fluids are not supposed to come down so soon. If it does fass will fix it and top up for you under warranty. Don't get this idea of buying power steering fluid or brake fluid and keeping it with you for top up.

- - - Merged Post - - -

zen opens the hood more than the doors:p
    1 person likes this.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    May be your right buddy. Tomorrow ill ask them to top up whatever is low. Lets see what happens. But i have read guys here going for long distance had break fluid and coolant with them. hmmm....

- - - Merged Post - - -

Lol not really, but yes ill have to inspect the engine bay atleast once in 3 days or so, if not for mechanical inspection but atleast for the rat issue. Already my bike is being affected by Rat bites. Taking atmost care for the car.
    2 people like this.
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    PS fluid near or below minimum at 2500 Kms doesn't indicate good. As them to check for any leakage.
    Four years and 34000 kms, I have never observed PS fluid level to be below minimum. I never topped up either other than during scheduled services.
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Fiatlover,
    Thats what confusing me too buddy, i checked the below area and even felt with my hand. No stains or even a drop stains on the metal parts around the container.

Other possiblities i could concur here is that

it was filled less in the first place, but i remember during my PDI it was in the range.
    Does it get avoporated if stood in sun?
  5. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    If you want warranty to be applicable on your car as per the time frame then stick to the FASS for all the fluid top up or any changes as the invoice provided by them are the sole proof that you had made them to recheck and do whatever necessary. But, if you buy from outside and do it yourself then this might give them chance to reject future warranty by their lame excuses n all.

We all don't want to get it done from FASS but it just to get your car under warranty and avoid hole in your pocket, if any major issue comes up.

P.S. We all pray that we won't have any issue in our car but machine does has something unpredictable :)

NOTE: Second time i have caught them by making inflated bill by Rs. 1000. Just stay alert and ask whatever fluid they have top up and pay for that only, if they give you the container then its ok to pay for the rest and keep it with you.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    In this case cleanup seems to be the only solution. Please report such posts you come accross. This will help in improving the quality of the forum. Its like cleaning our own house. Its the best thing we can do with dedication :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Zenwalker - your ambiquity on the fluid levels is quite genuine.

1. If the car is hot and still you see the coolant level below the max or min mark then there is some leak - get it fixed.
    2. Brake oil - this is very critical. Not even 10ml should go down. The same oil is used for hydraulic clutch. The oil should be at the max mark always.
    3. Power steering oil - same as above
    4. Wiper fluid - as per your needs :)
    5. Engine oil - the most important. Should be between min and max on dip stick when checked in the morning i.e cold settled engine.
    2 people like this.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Pardon me for asking this.

2: isnt the break oil sprayed over the break disc to not make the pads hot? That means that the quantity will go down right? Thats how we see that black dust on alloys after long drive.

3: It has gone down, but no leaks whats so ever (touched, checked all below part of the container. No clue. Im taking her into evening and lets see what they have to say.
  8. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The brake does go down as the brake pads wear out. But it should not happen alarmingly and go down below the minimum mark. When you visit the service center, do check for the brake pad wear, it should give you an idea.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Brake oil sprayed onto the Disc !!! How can one even think of it, the brake pads will slip to eternity if oil is sprayed on disc. There is no such thing anywhere in this world on any car.

Black dust is due to brake pad material wearing out in form of powder
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Hmm...Thanks guys.

@Krishna,
    Ok ill ask Channabasappa or his team to check the break ware out too. Any ways break oil has not gone down.