1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fluid top ups - Confused

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by zenwalker, Sep 17, 2013.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Hello Guys,

Just now finished inspecting the engine bay area as a regular job also to check if rat found new hiding place. The ODO reads 2390 now. The car is parked in ~5 degree inclined position.

Checked the fluid levels by opening respective container caps just to make sure proper reading:

1. Break fluid : In between the range.
    2. Engine coolant : Same as above
    3. Steering oil: At the rim of minimum reading.
    4. Wind Washer fluid: I do top up myself and just did last weekend (water)
    5. Engine Oil: checked the dip stick. Its near the max.

Question/Doubt after referring to user manual: At 3k, it is suggested to check all the above with alignment, etc. and get topped up if required. Since the odo reading is close to this figure, i am thinking i should be alarmed at the steering liquid level. So need you guys suggestion here:

1. Is it ok to go for FASS for filling this fluid? Would they charge me for the 1lt, coz probably a way less quantity is required to bring the level back to max.
    2. if step 1 is done, will they return back the remaining oil to me for future topups myself?
    3. Good enough to order online ??(99rpm : Sadly they dont have ATF DEXRON III or Tutela Car GI/E (did search for steering oil at their website), but they have DexRon II which is no where recommended in user manual. I read some where in this forum that Tutela is being filled by default. True?
    So have to search else where. Any pointers where?
    4. The rest of the fluids are in between range, so ok or should i go for top ups of them too? Again same dilemma as Step 2. Also at 5k i have to give for servicing, so....
    5. Why all the above containers has Max and Min gap very less where as the below Min level of the container is quite big to hold alot quantity than the quantity between max and min markings.

The reason i am writing this thread is that this weekend i am planning for a long drive perhaps 400km 1 way if no rain other wise probably around 200kms 1 way. So a bit concerned about the steering fluid level.

Thanks,
    Zen :)

P.S:
    1 Searched all threads under this section and all of them talk about Engine oil.
    2. This is my first engine bay area work and may be visit FASS for same, so pardon for my ignorance.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    steering oil is low? Mine is nearing 30k kms and it is always full. have you checked properly?
    There is no need to open the containers. you can check it by visual inspection as all containers are transparent.

If the steering fluid low then there is a leak somewhere. Get it checked from FASS. Don't do top up yourself.
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Kindly park the car on the level and leave it at least for 15 mins and recheck. Everything will be range.

The reason why I'm suggesting this is the incline you mentioned. After all, for fluids checks, it is supposed to be on level surface.
  4. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Zen mentions 5 degree incline. Its negligible.
    I suspect him not taking readings properly
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Thats the first thing that ran into my mind, so checked the below area of the container and did not see any drop of oil there. Will check again tomorrow evening. To make sure.
    Since it was in the evening (after office) so the day light was not enough to make the container liquid much clear. hence had to open it up.

Unfortunately no where in my house road there is a good flat surface. The whole road itself is around 10 deg inclined. Hence i had to mentioned that its ~5 deg inclined towards right side of the car being parked. So on that inclination i mentioned that its at the rim and not lower than the minimum.
    Any ways will do it tomorrow again and update this thread.

- - - Merged Post - - -

To make sure i get correct reading, i opened the container (day light was less to make liquid clearly visible outside container), so i do not know how else i had to take the level. May be ill dip the a thin stick into the container and then measure it from outside where the liquid stands (old school method i guess) but concerned as it might contaminate the liquid.
  6. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    There won't be any problem with your car on such low kms on Odo. Just keep riding rather than worrying about all this.
    If anything is wrong you will get warnings on MID. Just make sure that the fluids are above min level. Importantly coolant and engine oil.
    Brake and power steering fluid never goes down easily.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Nooooooooo... Don't do it. Simple visual inspection is enough. Forget the inclination and stuff. Just make sure car stands on a approx level ground.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    But to have a good sleep, i feel i should stock up this liquid and others. 99rpm doesnt have it. Hmm... where else online?
  8. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    :car I'm out now to ride my FIAT
    1 person likes this.
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Ok guys, just took her to a almost flat surface. Nope no inclinations. Just almost flat i can say. Checked the steering oil. Its a bit probably 1mm below Min level. I am alarmed. Touched the outlet pipe below it to see if any leakage or anything. Did not see anything sticking to my fingers. So i guess no leakages.

Guess i need to visit FASS for the top up. Can order it online?
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Zen, I would like you to post a pic of the 'alarming' level to validate if you should be freaked out or not.
    1 person likes this.