1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Flat Tyre - Nut refuses to loosen up.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by sriramr9, Sep 22, 2014.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    I had a flat tyre last evening (Sunday 09/21) and there is no air pressure in the tubeless now. Its the rear right tyre which has had two puncture episodes faced earlier.

Since wanted to swap the spare stepney as a stand by so i can take the punctured tyre to the tirewala, when i tried to unscrew the nuts in the anti clock wise directions i am unable to do so. I tried standing on it, i tried the other direction but to no avail.

Mods pl help me with my issue. how does one unscrew the nuts, in my case i tried with the handbrake on and off in neutral.

Note: There is not tyre pressure when i am trying this,. is there a possibility of alloy bend.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    IF you can get a meter long metal pipe or something that you can connect to the wheel spanner, try that. Works like a crowbar.

One of the advantages of frequent wheel rotation is this. It will be comparatively easier to change tyre in case of a puncture.
  3. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Tyre rotation was done one year back but the same wheel suffered two punctures other than this one. So anti clock wise is what needed to unscrew the nut ?

Is there a possibility of alloy damage ? since one has to apply extreme force to the flat tyre ?
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    May be you can spray WD-40 and try to open.
    shashanknathani likes this.
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    That's correct
  6. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    I have zorrik, shall try that, but again fingers crossed. :(
  7. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You need to apply good pressure, if that doesn't work out, you need apply great amount pressure/force . If that is not working out, try mildly hammering the wheel spanner. Even I had the issues, but got a 4 way spanner for better hold so I can use both hands to screw/unscrew.
  8. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I've had this problem earlier after taking my car to a alignment/balancing shops. They use an air-gun to tighten the nuts so hard that it's impossible to open the nuts by hand.

Use a metal pipe with the wheel spanner to open the nuts.
  9. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks for the insight, Shall post back once i try hammer and metal pipe method, Pl clarify if applying so much force on flat tyre not cause a beating to the alloy ? Punto s alloys are known for their softness right
  10. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    We are asking you to apply the force/pressure on the Hex head and not on the alloy. The wheel spanner is to be locked in the Bolt head and not anywhere else. Hope this clarifies.