1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fitst Servcie for Punto : Oil Change only at 15000Kms

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by sadanandbondade, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Hello Owners...

I dropped by my punto for a first service today..the car has travelled 4600Kms so far.

The major problem i have is the turbo is not kicking in..I hope this will be checked and rectified
    Before a day. I wanted to check if i can find any lose hose or pipes connecting to turbo have come apart..i did not find any thing visually..and during the process i happen to check all the fluid levels in the car..everything was fine. I also happen to check the engine oil level..when i did it with the dip stick..i saw the oil within Max and Min mark..but the oil was very dark (black in colour).

An my general perception is that when the oil gets very dark, it needs to be replaced.

When i went to service center today..I was surprised when the service personnel said that oil is replaced only after 15K Kms. I also checked the manual it says 15K Kms.
    It was a strange feeling..because for my bike the first oil change is done at a very short interval..but not for Fiat !!! OK if manual says..it should be fine.

But has any one checked if the oil turns so dark after only 4500Kms is the service interval is 15000Kms..Can any one check this..who has change the engine oil lately or brought the car recently.
    If this is due to some soot coming off to oil, then then I feel the piston rings and the cylinder needs to be to be checked..by a pressure test..so just wanted to confirm with other owners
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    How do you know that the turbo is not kicking-in? Is the car not responsive even after 2000 RPM?
  3. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Oil turns black in couple of hundred kilometers (unless flushed and re-filled in case may take little longer), check for the viscosity of the oil. In case if you want to change the engine oil, change the oil filter as well.
  4. .

yes the engine revs to 3000RPM linearly..I do not feel the turbo kicking in.

How do you check the viscosity ? do you mean just be feeling the oil or can i get it checked some where?
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Regarding oil, number of times it has been discussed, even though Fiat does recommend change at 15K interval, no harm in earlier change of oil. Get it changed if you feel so.
    Though I have changed only at recommended interval, without any issue so far.

BTW, which service center you went?
  6. Yes, you are correct about the oil change. I can do it before the service interval. but I want to know if such a change in oil colour is common for 4500Kms..it should not be that the new oil goes bad quickly after a change.
    It is Concorde motors, near dairy circle, Bangalore.

I will try to talk to Fiat service person about this, while i go to receive my vehicle. I am realizing this point only after i came to offcie..
  7. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I havent changed the oil since i got the car. The vehicle will hit 15k soon and i will change it.

As for turbo kick, as explained in various other threads,i feel the turbo in punto doesnt kick in like a hammer blow as it happens in swift or other diesel vehicles. You can always get it checked from the fiat service people.

I normally go to Prerana, Kudlu gate. Surendra, the SA over there is quite good.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Oil in a diesel engine will turn dark, black as soon as you pour it in. You should be VERY worried if it does not turn dark.:) The color is not important, the viscosity is.

Ideally the "factory fill" oil should be disposed off in about 1000-1500km's. But that just increases the costs manifold and seems impractical.

Stick to 7500km oil change intervals. 15,000km interval is nothing but a marketing gimmick and a measure to reduce servicing costs of the vehicle.

It'll help your engine in the long run.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. gautamkhadse

gautamkhadse Regolare

Pune
    Gurji :

My question , what if I dont clock as many Kms as required for aoil change . For instance I have clocked just about 9000 Kms in 2 years . So should I be changing the engine oil yearly or should I still follow the 15000km or 7500 km thumb rule ?
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Since you're doing around 4500km's yearly on an average, so you'll be better off by changing oil on an yearly basis. Thats my 2 cents!

Because oil does start to degrade even when it's just sitting in the sump. So an oil is waste even if it has run for 1000 or 2000 km's but has been sitting for more than a year in the car.

Cheers.