1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First trip to the Himalaya by BNW PUNTO MJD

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sandipan_r15, Jun 10, 2012.

1. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    A real treat for the eyes !:clap Sandipan, you truly have the skill of narration and you hid it from us all this while ! Why I say ? Now I am feeling it all - you are well exceeding expectations, a well deserved 5 stars ! Surprise me more ::D

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Also, I liked your style of capturing the pics with the element of Punto in it - Sandipan's USP !

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Trust me I got piloerection while reading this.:wow
    1 person likes this.
  2. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    hi Sandy ,

your pics are awsome , now i understand why your 4th day is toughest , hope you should be very thrilled and also more consious bcoz your 2 cars alone driving in the narrow road in high mountains :) . it must be wonderful. great man and great pics.

How many memebers in your car ??
    1 person likes this.
  3. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    Got your point Sandipan.

Anyway greatly appreciate your pics.
  4. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My sincere thanks to LOWFLIER,VIJAY & ARRYAN.

LOWFLIER, I don't know whether I deserve all your praise or not but I tried to narrate exactly what I felt at that moment. I love tour(specially mountains) and most of my earned leaves are spent for this purpose.But I was a little bit sceptical because it is first ever travelogue written by me(that too not in my mother tounge).Anyway thanks all that you have liked it.

Will try to post the last part of my tl tomorrow.

Completed 10000 km today.Great car, great going.

Vijay,we were 8 in all,including the driver of the DEZIRE.On that return journey we were 5 in my car; 2 adults,3 children.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  5. 195/70 R 14, you already have high GC in your car, was there any scraping issue?
  6. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you are referring to the underbody then there were some minor scraping on some real bad roads/craters.

And if you are referring to scraping of wheels into wheel wells then not a single one till date.

In general I feel the gc of my car is more than adequate.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  7. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    DAY 5-----O6/06/2012----SUNTALEKHOLA--RAIGANJ:-

ROUTE----->SUNTALEKHOLA--SAMSING--CHALSA--ODLABARI--GAJOLDOBA--TISTA BARAGE--PHANSIDEOWA--GHSHERMOR--DALKHOLA--RAIGANJ

DAYS HIGHLIGHT----
    1)Distance covered--267km,avg consunp.--17.4kmpl,avg speed--40kmph.
    2)Pretty ordinary day.But today we handled the worst road(surfacewise).Heard about a landslide near SEVOK andavoided that route.Some portion of the road was really bad.Just full of craters big and small.
    3)At RAIGANJ visited KULIK BIRD SANCTUARY.But its not the season.
    4)Purchased some famous TULAIPANJI rice from raiganj.

PUNTO HIGHLIGHT--

Handeled the real bad roads with a bindaas attitude.Great car.

SOME PICS OF DAY 5----

P1060808.jpg
    SUNTALEKHOLA

P1060809.jpg
    SUNTALEKHOLA

P1060813.jpg
    SUNTALEKHOLA

P1060816.jpg
    SUNTALEKHOLA

P1060817.jpg
    SUNTALEKHOLA

P1060818.jpg
    SUNTALEKHOLA--NOTE THE LOST LOWER GRILL

P1060819.jpg
    VIEW FROM SAMSING PHANRI BASTI

P1060834.jpg
    GAJOLDOBA

P1060835.jpg
    TISTA CANEL

P1060837.jpg
    NH-34

P1060841.jpg
    KULIK BIRD SANCTUARY
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The tour ends---

It was the last day of my trip just a st forward driving in some scorching heat(~39).

DAY 6--07/06/2012----RAIGANJ--HALDIA:-

ROUTE----->RAIGANJ--MALDA--FARAKKA--MORGRAM--KHARGRAM--KULI--FUTISHANKO--BARDHAMAN--DUNKUNI--MECHEDA--HALDIA

DAYS HIGHLIGHT---

1)DISTANCE COVERED--511.1Km,avg consump--16.3 kmph,avg speed--50 kmph.(~90%AC)
    2)Bought some fresh lichu(in bengali) st from the garden.

PUNTO HIGHLIGHT---

As usual.No ache at any point of my body(for the whole tour).I am 5'10.5"tall.Dead pedal was of great relief.

TOTAL---

DISTANCE COVERED--1839.2km,avg comsump.16.2kmpl,traveltime--48.33hrs,avg speed--37kmph(trip A data),diesel-4913/-(Calculated on the basis of avg consump.)
    2 people like this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks sandipan for giving us a wonderful experience. Also I like your way of writing especially adding Punto higlight which help us to see how the vehicle has adapted with different road conditions. Looking forward for your next trip.

I think these places has the natural beauty in it's peak during the off season time. Beaty and adventure is a deadly combination.

The picture above the last one(truck with people) is the fate of common man if fuel prices hike the way it is going now.
    1 person likes this.
  10. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    SUNGOA,I will start planning for my next trip,very soon.I deliberately try to choose routes which are rich with natural beauty.
    These natural beauty of these palces are at it's peak during APRIL-MAY when most of the flower blooms(specially RHODODENDRON & MAGNOLIA on the higher altitudes).But the routine of my son's school plays the spoilsport.December-jan is another season but if can enjoy that bitter cold.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

SOME EXPERIENCE I HAVE GATHERED FROM THIS TOUR & WANT TO SHARE:-
    ABOUT THE CAR (PUNTO MJD)----
    1)No questions should be raised about the reliability/durability of FIAT cars.
    2)This is my first diesel car.But I thoroughly enjoyed the huge torque at lower revs.
    3)Brakes are just fantastic(it doesnot matter whether it produce shoots till it saves life of it's passengers).On 5th day on NH-31 the car was doing 100+ on a flyover.Onthe downward slope I noticed that the 4 laner has converged to a two laner just at the end of the slope & a cycle(with2) was at the middle of my lane and there were loose gravels(no biitumen surface) & some medium size pathholes at the end of the flyover.Immediately pressed the brake--scriiiiiiiiiiich & the car landed on the the gravels(released the brake) and path holes(lightly pushed the brakes in between 2 ditches) at a speed much higher than it should had been to tackle these road conditions.The cycle, to my relief had then took the leftmost side of the road leaving me some space to avoid ditches.Could avoid some but not entirely.Underbody didnot scrap.Two small jumps & landed on the good road.
    A very good brake,ABS&EBD,YOKO tyres,good gc saved the day.The car didnot veered of the line.
    4)Taking hair pin bends is fun but have a look on beyond the upward turn while taking up(right) and donot go to extreme left while taking downward left.Rear left wheel may fall into to water passage drain.
    5)No rattling,no mechanical,no electrical problem/failure after all these ordeals.
    6)This car is built to last,so every FIAT I think.
    7)A pillar does hinder visibility to some extent,I used to bend my neck to compensate for the same.
    8)AC is really good.
    9)No fluid---brake/clutch,steering,coolant,engine oil showed a (detectable to eye) decrease in level thus needing no top up.
    10)10 cheers for PUNTO.(3 IS NOT ENOUGH)

IN GENERAL:-
    Will post later.THANKS.
    3 people like this.