1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First trip to the Himalaya by BNW PUNTO MJD

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sandipan_r15, Jun 10, 2012.

1. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Day 3 rocks ! Day 4, the road seems to have narrowed down, was this a detour or something ? Lush green lands with backdrop of hills, nicely captured.
  2. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Lowflier,this is the real beauty of dooars.Small and beautiful places(like SAMSING,JHALONG,SUNTALEKHOLA) are connected with(NH or SH) such narrow roads.
    Tea estates on bothsides and the hill on the backdrop.Dooars region is a treat for eyes for nature lovers.There are dozens of spots including sanctuaries and national parks.But a drive through the roads of dooars is itself an experience to be remembered for the rest of your life.Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

DAY 4-----MIRIK--SUNTALEKHOLA(+JHALONG&BINDU):-

ROUTE----->MIRIK---DARJEELINGMOR---SILIGURIBYPASS---SEVOK---MALBAJAR---CHALSA---SUMSING---SUNTALEKHOLA---SAMSIMG---JHALONG---BINDU----JHALONG---SUNTALEKHOLA

DAYS HIGHLIGHT----

1)DISTANCE COVERED--202.6Km,mileage--17.4kmpl,avg speed--26kmph
    2)Very Good + bad roads,scenic beauty,lush green forest
    3)Had the toughest test of my driving skill & nerve while returning from BINDU to SAMSING.
    4)SUNTALEKHOLA(SAMSING phanri basti)is a beautiful place stay a couple of days.

PUNTO HIGHLIGHT--

Got the first scratch on the lower part of the bumper.Lost the lower part of the front grill.Both of these happened when PUNTO took a hit with a stone while negotiating a huge water filled crater. Though the PUNTO lost it's lower grill but the engine guard saved any further damage and took the hit. Got a wonderful mileage of 23.6 kmpl from MIRIK to SAMSING.

Will post a brief description of my experience on day4,tomorrow.

HERE ARE SOME PICS OF DAY 4------

P1060735.jpg
    GOING TO COLLECT TEA LEAVES

P1060738.jpg
    ASSAM LINE

P1060740.jpg
    NH-31 IN DOOARS

P1060746.jpg

P1060747.jpg
    CHALSA TO SAMSING

P1060751.jpg
    CHALSA TO SAMSING

P1060752.jpg
    CHALSA TO SAMSING

P1060750.jpg
    CHALSA TO SAMSING

P1060755.jpg
    CHALSA TO SAMSING

P1060756.jpg
    CHALSA TO SAMSING

P1060786.jpg
    SAMSING TO JHALONG

P1060793.jpg
    LUSH GREEN RAIN FOREST IN DOOARS(SAMSING TO JHALONG)
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
    2 people like this.
  3. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    Your pics are rocking.
    However, I have a small observation and this is purely personal though.
    When you want to highlight your car in the midst of nature, please cover your car fully in the picture. I have seen some pictures where you have covered your car only partially. I personally feel this gives a sense of incompleteness to the photos.

Again Sandipan this is purely my personal feeling.
  4. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Arryan I didn't want to porject the car as the primary object and tried to capture the whole ambience.Wanted to keep balance between the car & the natural backdrop.You can call it my style.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF DAY 4:-

MIRIIK to SILIGURI it is a total downward route.From DUDHIA to darjeelingmor enjoyed the greenary of doors forest.After crossing SILIGURI reached SEVOK and took right to cross river TISTA.And the beauty of dooars began.
    Lush green forest,tea gardens and land scape all welcomed us.Hill was on the left of us--a few kms away.Reached CHALSA and took the road for SAMSING.Enjoyed the scenic beauty to the fullest and reached SUNTALEKHOLA @ 1PM.
    Started for JHALONG & BINDU after we had our lunch at @2:30 PM.This route is a left diversion from SUNTALEKHOLA to CHALSA road after @ 3kms from SUNTALEKHOLA.
    Reached JHALONG @ 4PM.Enroute to JHALONG we had to cross a river on low height bridge whose approch road on both sides from the main raod was a stoney one with one big & a few small craters.
    At JHALONG,BHUTAN is just on the opposite side of JALDHAKA river.Some local people told us to go to BINDU where we can cross over to BHUTAN.Everyone was excited and we stared for BINDU(@2400ft---12kms from JHALONG).Barely we had started the rain came rather in a medium form.2 kms onto the journey & I felt tensed for the first time.The road from JHALONG to BINDU was just bad.Not only the surface but the nature of the road made me tensed.There was landslide zone,slip zone,lose stones,narrow road with straight fall into the JALDHAKA river on one side-----ingredients of a disaster was ready---and add to them a heavy rain---and the formula is complete.When we reached BINDU the evening had already set in.We took a few shot and immediately started our return journey.It was raining so heavily that the visibility was reduced by a great degree.
    THEN----Told everyone to keep silence,told the driver of the DEZIRE to follow me,switched on headlight & fog light(front & rear),set the wiper in full speed,kept the AC on in the blower1 speed to the windscreen,locked my jaws and began the driving of my life.Then I was not tensed and took it as a challenge realising the gravity of the situation.
    My greatest fear was rolling stone from the hillside.It was just impossible to notice such stone due to the poor visibility.On the upward hairpin bends their was a madrush of downward water we had to face.YOKOHAMA 195/70 R14 tyres were paying me back every rupee I spent on them.
    Safely reached JHALONG---1st phase was over.
    After a few kms started the @ 4 kms stretch of forest(we were down from the hill now).Here came another problem.The causeway kept to pass water from one of the road to the other had then taken the form of mini rivers.Stopped a few yards before every such causeway slot the 2nd gear and crossed all those in steady but slow(not dead slow) speed.These are made of concrete and a few feet(@5-10ft)wide.
    Then came the final hurdle.The approach road to the river bridge.The dry crater had taken the shape of a mini pond and there were many stones inside those crater as I had seen during the upward journey.Waited for about 30 secs and tried to remember on which way I tackled it in the onward journey.
    Sloted the 1st gear took the dip and oops something hit the front and the engine guard----did not stop and crossed it.The DEZIRE noticed it from behind,took the otherside and he was lucky.
    Waitd for few minutes to observe any abnormality(low engine oil) and started again.Reached SUNTALEKHOLA(night stay) at @ 7:30pm.And there I found that my BRAVE PUNTO had lost its lower grill(the front bumper was not misaligned but few deep scratches were found on the lower part of it--engine guard was slightly dented) but yes, it has passed the test gracefully.

THANKS ALL.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Very nice description depicting the situation and we are also almost felt like reading it with beating heart like a drum. Totally enjoyed the each and every line. Do you have pictures.(probably it is a greed from my side to ask for it as I can understand the tension of the occupants to overcome the natures mischief):D

What a coincidence that the last point was BINDU. Bindu means point and if you translate Punto from italian to English you will get the result 'point or hit'. You have received both. So in your adventurous trip Punto met it's destiny, but dezire left with it's incomplete dezire to cross BINDU, though it has escaped from the hit(when there is a dezire there is a way). :nicethread
    2 people like this.
  6. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Few more pics of day 4---
    P1060748.jpg
    CHALSA TO JHALONG

P1060763.jpg
    SAMSING TO SUNTALEKHOLA

P1060764.jpg
    STRWBERY FARMING AT SAMSING PHANRI BASTI

P1060766.jpg
    SUNTALEKHOLA

P1060782.jpg
    SUNTALEKHOLA

P1060784.jpg
    SAMSING PHANRI VALLEY

P1060795.jpg
    JHALONG---THE HILL YOU SEE ON THE OTHERSIDE IS IN BHUTAN

P1060797.jpg
    JHALONG TO BINDU

P1060800.jpg
    JHALONG TO BINDU

P1060807.jpg
    RAIN OH RAIN PLEASE STOP

P1060796.jpg
    JHALONG TO BINDU---NOTE THE FALLEN ROCK ON THE RIGHTSIDE OF THE ROAD--

P1060759.jpg
    SAMSING TO SAMSING PHANRI
    1 person likes this.
  7. Wonderful pics sandipan :clapping . Please keep 'em coming.
    1 person likes this.
  8. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    SUNGOA, took just two shots while returning from BINDU.Though I wanted to take pics but didnot do that for 2 reasons----

1)Didnot want to waste a single second.
    2)Visibility was very poor due to heavy rain.

THANKS.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Thanks ANANDH!Not many pics are left in the reserve as only two days of return journey are left for description.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I can understand. Though I was not driving I had experienced the effect landslide when we went in a taxi from Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling. Luckily the landslide was few hours before and we had to take the vehicle near the end side of the road below which is extending to negative infinity.
  10. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    One more pic---

P1060754.jpg
    2 people like this.